Putting together my reversing camera kit

A few questions:

Is the FL octavia the same handle as the pre fl?

Do I need pal or NTSC (think I read somewhere I needed NTSC)

If I fit the rear view camera can I still add OPS parking sensors later (columbus)?

There is a setting in the Columbus or parking module coding (can't remember which) that allows the ops and camera to function together.

Not sure about your other question. This is the one I have had my eye on for a while. Not sure if its PAL or NSTC but it looks the part and I know others have fitted it successfully.

http://shop.mediaexponent.com/epages/GPL.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/01042009-135970/Products/MX-REAR-VIEW-CAMERA-SKODA/SubProducts/MX-REAR-VIEW-CAMERA-SKODA-0023

I've just got this cheap boot lock camera and started fitting it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Trunk-Handle-Camera-for-Skoda-Octavia-Fabia-Auto-Reverse-Rearview-Backup-Cam/181778313454?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D30773%26meid%3D710efd7906ea4a08ac0ef2418b4841be%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D181744984851

It looks identical to the Media Exponent one but it's around half the price. It's a good physical fit and the lock release works fine, though I had to change the 2 pin wiring plug in the boot as the pins are a different pitch and shape - I used half a plug from an old floppy disc power supply.  I also needed to make a spacer for inside the boot as the two nuts wouldn't compress the rubber seal enough.  However, both jobs took less than 30 minutes.

I haven't had time to run the wiring to my Audiosources AS-620 head unit yet.

• Like 1

Yet again I have took a chance and ordered one with mk3 octavia fitment ($16) and I am thinking of ordering the Tiguan cable setup as that is around £17, I believe you can get functioning camera without active guidance lines (which I can live without) but as the boot camera comes with a standard phono style jack and the Tiguan kit comes with a 4 pin square block it may need modification. As ever making life harder than it needs to be to save a bit  (yet not inconsiderable) of money

Yet again I have took a chance and ordered one with mk3 octavia fitment ($16) and I am thinking of ordering the Tiguan cable setup as that is around £17, I believe you can get functioning camera without active guidance lines (which I can live without) but as the boot camera comes with a standard phono style jack and the Tiguan kit comes with a 4 pin square block it may need modification. As ever making life harder than it needs to be to save a bit (yet not inconsiderable) of money

Sorry to say... But you won't be able to fit that handle in the old hole. It is to big and you need to cut the hole at least 20mm.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news, the camera arrived and it fits the boot hole perfectly with no modification required to the aperture already there, Bad news is the pins in the camera are slightly to big for the plug from the car meaning a little adaptation is required. Also the larger height of the camera means the metal retaining plate is about 2mm too short to adequately clamp the camera in place. An old car mat and some scissors sorted it until I can make a proper gasket. Boot release is bodged for now until I solder the connectors. Not bad for $16, potential cheapskate win! It is a CCD camera but until my Tiguan cables arrive no idea of either image quality or whether it even works.

post-128022-0-60362700-1436007352_thumb.jpg

post-128022-0-79028500-1436007357_thumb.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Trunk-Handle-Camera-for-Skoda-Octavia-Fabia-Auto-Reverse-Rearview-Backup-Cam/181778313454?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D30773%26meid%3D710efd7906ea4a08ac0ef2418b4841be%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D181744984851

It looks identical to the Media Exponent one but it's around half the price. It's a good physical fit and the lock release works fine, though I had to change the 2 pin wiring plug in the boot as the pins are a different pitch and shape - I used half a plug from an old floppy disc power supply.  I also needed to make a spacer for inside the boot as the two nuts wouldn't compress the rubber seal enough.  However, both jobs took less than 30 minutes.

Good news, the camera arrived and it fits the boot hole perfectly with no modification required to the aperture already there, Bad news is the pins in the camera are slightly to big for the plug from the car meaning a little adaptation is required. Also the larger height of the camera means the metal retaining plate is about 2mm too short to adequately clamp the camera in place. An old car mat and some scissors sorted it until I can make a proper gasket. Boot release is bodged for now until I solder the connectors. Not bad for $16, potential cheapskate win! It is a CCD camera but until my Tiguan cables arrive no idea of either image quality or whether it even works.

Based on Nikonite's experience I reckon he has exactly the same camera as the one I bought, but cheaper still!  I finished running the wiring to the head unit and it works perfectly.

• Like 1

I fitted the MediaExponent part with no issues at all - the metal bracket & the wiring fitted without modification.  However, it took me a very long time to get the cables through the flexi tube between the tailgate and the body (I was fitting a Blackvue rear screen camera at the same time, and the L-shaped connector on the cable for this made it difficult).  I'm connecting mine to a DNX525DAB, but I've got jobs in the house to take care of before I can give any more time to running wires through the interior of my car, so it may be a while before I can try them out.

• 2 weeks later...

The Media Exponent one is CCD not CMOS as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes its here but the connector is different, having my lounge plastered at the moment so a bit up the wall. I think I may be better just getting the rgb converter box,there is one in china for £37