Drivers wing mirror - won't fold in

Today is the first day I've needed to fold the drivers door mirror in and shes stuck fast! I got to the point it was bending the door slightly. Passengers folds fine. 

Is it just a case of soaking the mechanism is wd40 to try and release it? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

If you were not the original owner(?) - It is likely that this mirror has been hit, and some well meaning person has used epoxy resin to place back in position to save the expense on a new unit.

Just a guess, but frequently done nevertheless.

I've added lots and lots of WD40 and managed to release the mechanism. It's still stiff but is easing up nicely. If it sticks again then I shall replace it. Not much for a second hand one on eBay

• 1 year later...

If it is anything like what happened to my daughter's old Ibiza 6K 2002 vintage, it was down to corrosion on the aluminium parts that make up the hinged part of the frame, I've never had that problem with VW or Audi, so maybe Skoda and SEAT are not protecting these parts well enough.

make sure you put the heaters on in bad weather to warm the area a little and fold them a few times once a month! Perhaps a little copper grease on the pivoting area if you can get it in there.

Edited by mrgf

I would certainly agree with exercising them once a month, in the case of my daughter's old 6K Ibiza, while it was parked, a passing car "sorted" that mirror out, well at least it destroyed it so the new one worked okay!

Sorry yes I did fix. It was copious amounts of wd40 over 3 days and eventually it gave up the fight and folded in! Fine now and no issues.

Just be careful of wd40 running down the paint work.

Prompted by this I check my mirrors as I can not recall when last folded or moved.

Like you the left was fine but the right stuck. After injecting WD40 for two days on the third when I tried the right it moved and after several folds was similar to the left.

With both while folded in, when there is a bigger gap, I sprayed in some Lithium grease as probably longer lasting than WD40.

I wonder why the right is more prone to seizing?

One thought is because subjected more to spray from traffic which in winter has a salt content.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah got mine moving now after 3 attempts of removing the cover and putting wd in there. sprayed lithium grease in there now so fingers crossed its going to stay free.

• 1 year later...
On 28/08/2016 at 11:31, Nathanio said:

Sorry yes I did fix. It was copious amounts of wd40 over 3 days and eventually it gave up the fight and folded in! Fine now and no issues.

Just be careful of wd40 running down the paint work.

Worked for me too.  Thanks guys.  Plastic sheet taped to the door is useful to stop paint damage.  Mine seized maybe a year ago and I hadn't got round to dealing with it.  PLENTY of WD40 and lots of wiggling sorted it in one hit.  Turned the mirror glass in fully toward the window and squirted WD40 down ont o the top of the pivot point.  Remove plastic cap underneath to drain excess fluid.

...Well worth doing as if some numpty hits the mirror whilst driving past too closely, they will most likely remove the mirror completely AND possibly damage the door, too!