Oil cooler kit

• 2 weeks later...

Been reading into this and i haven't got much wiser on it.

Prob a bit too late on the group buy but what does this actually do?

And what sort of car is it best suited for

ie) a stage 1 map (mine)/daily drive

or heavily modded car.

Id like to take my car on as much track days as possible and like to as you say "drive it like i stole it" while im on track.

Without having to worry about blowing the engine to pieces and having to walk it back home. Lol and still use it as a daily drive.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Basically it keeps oil temperatures within optimum. As if your oil gets too hot it becomes too thin and useless for protecting your engine.

You can buy them with a thermostatic plate as well. This basically means that oil does not flow through the cooler until it has reached a certain temperature. Otherwise your car would take an age to get up to temp.

For pure road use I don't think there's any point in getting one, as you never have the chance to go flat out for long enough to give you silly high temperatures. On track is where one of these becomes a necessity. Even on a standard car the temps will still get very high when subjected to constant abuse.

Other method is to slow down every 3rd lap to let it cool down! But where's the fun in that...!

If you want one in the group buy, then I can get you one. However, I'd need payment tomorrow at the absolute latest, as I'm ordering them first thing on Wednesday morning.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Cheers for that input.

So what you saying is if I'm looking at doing a few track days a year then its a mod that I should consider.

Ok my next question is

Comparing this mod to a fmic which one you reckon would benefit the car more in track use (as my budget will only allow one of the two)

No problem [emoji106]

Yes, if you're planning on doing more than a quick short track session then you definitely need one if you like your engine!

What's your current spec? If you're anything over stage 1 then a FMIC will stop you getting heat soak. You may or may not go into limp mode if you are above stage 1 and you constantly thrash it round a track. However, it would still be subject to high oil temps on track.

If you're running just a simple remap and doing track days then personally I'd buy an oil cooler. Although ideally you should also be running an oil temperature gauge so you can keep an eye on things too :-)

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Ye im currently just running on a stage 1 shark map with no other mods.

Looking at other mods for later on like a hybrid turbo & fmic, &now oil temp gauge. Lol.

but I see your logic as oil temp is gonna be getting high on track and that should be first priority.

I saw devontopias car smoking n over heating at the last castle combe day as he was saying he maybe running thinner oil & that kinda got me thinking about coolers myself as the oil I had was 5w30 aswel.

• Like 1

Cheers.

Ye im reading that thread as we speak.

I'll message you regardless 2mra.

But more than likey I will.

Hopfully with my added contribution will we be closer to the bigger group discount? Lol.

You been great.

Thanks [emoji106]

In April at Coombe I noticed my oil temp spiking at 130 degrees without one so I would definitely recommend it, lots more people were hammering more than me so I'd hate to think what temp they got up to.

I know for a fact my temp was off the scale as my car has never seen that kind of speed and thrashing before.

So I went for a service a couple days later just to be safe.

But ye after the replies on here I've added myself onto the list.

Just gotta do the hardest part now..part with some money. Lol

• 5 months later...

Holy thread revival!

But was wondering from the people who have fitted the darkside kit with the thermostatic plate, is there a "port" on the sandwich plate where i could wire up a temp sensor. Ive seen some people go for a sensor in the sump plug but i wouls rather have one nearer the actual oil going through the block rather than thr stuff sat in the sump.

Any advice?

Cheers

No port on the plate,I don't think I've seen any Mocal plates with ports for gauges tbh,only see them on the cheap E-Bay plates.

Ref the temp,no oil 'just sits in the sump' of a engine,it's all used and moving around the engine.

The sump is the best and most consistent place to read your oil temp,ok the plug is slightly low for a reading point,ideally you need it reading half way up the oil level.

Saying that mine in the sump plug works well,and gives readings consistent with how your using the engine :)

Holy thread revival!

But was wondering from the people who have fitted the darkside kit with the thermostatic plate, is there a "port" on the sandwich plate where i could wire up a temp sensor. Ive seen some people go for a sensor in the sump plug but i wouls rather have one nearer the actual oil going through the block rather than thr stuff sat in the sump.

Any advice?

Cheers

I wouldn't worry about it, oil only sits in the sump when the engine isn't running.

• Like 1