What to look for in a used Superb.

Looking to get a Superb hatchback with the 170 bhp and DSG setup so what do I need to look out for. Dont want the 1.6 diesel as feel its too small, and the petrol on would be too tempting to lose my licence with. Looking at a 2008-2011 model or younger if the mileage isnt too bad. My V50 has 151,000 and is a money pit and is a little tired. Is high mileage an issue on these cars?

When did the "twindoor" start on the Superb? Feel the hatchback would be more practical.

Thank you

Losing your licence accidentally is probably at least as easy in the 170 bhp diesels - they're so quiet inside at motorway speeds and significantly beyond (If you have quiet tyres) that you can be well above the motorway speed limit without the car giving any hint of it if you're not paying attention... The type of mileage matters a lot more than the mileage figure. If it's used for intercity driving on motorways and dual carriageways it can have 100k+ miles on it and still feel new. If it is used for lots of short trips in cities and on bad roads and has missed the odd service it can already be a money pit at 50k miles (Diesels with particulate filters are clogged quickly when the car is used for all short trips, especially if it never gets to full temperature on a drive. They need regular drives at 50+ mph to keep the filter clear). Take it for a decent test drive and make sure everything works and the handling feels good before buying anyway. At Elegance trim level you get a load of toys to play with too...

The Twindoor is the both a hatchback and a saloon depending on how you open the boot and came out in 2008. Previous to that the Superb looked like a slightly chubby Passat and was a saloon only. The Kombi/Estate body is the most practical and the best looking variant of the Superb in my opinion. With the seats down mine's carried a single bed, drawers and a double couch bed with mattresses as well as a week's shopping and a few other bits and pieces from Ikea without problems. It'll take a full size washing machine with the seats up and the parcel shelf out too - which surprisingly has came in useful for me twice :)... The twindoor and kombi are very similar lengths though, so it's the height of the boot space you lose out on more than the length.

Edited by psycholist
  • Like 3

I agree - if its been well looked after with a FSH, higher mileage shouldn't be too much of a problem.  You should get a few hundred thousand miles of them in fact.  I actually find that both my last and current 170 (manuals) were only getting properly run in around 50/60k miles!  I don't have much experience of DSG but I'd make sure that the box has been well maintained with the correct oil changes etc.  Despite the scary stories you will, major problems with DSG boxes are not that common.......and yes, you'll need to keep the cruise control on with the 170 as you could still easily lose your licence...:)

Thanks to Psychologist, Superb 170, and Silver 1011 for the replies. I know the 170 I want is out there. Got to keep looking.

A guy no longer on here (or not much anyway) had a MK1 that had done 250k and that was 1.9 Tdi. Not a Mk2 I know, but gives you an idea of longevity.

Thanks to Psychologist, Superb 170, and Silver 1011 for the replies. I know the 170 I want is out there. Got to keep looking.

Good man. There are some really nice cars out there. It took three months to find ours and after looking at four I think, we got exactly the car we were was looking for...

Thanks again to Lichfielddriver, Paul 007, numskull, ex fiesta for your input. Did see the car you mentioned but after an auto car. After 40 years of driving I feel that I have earned it. Budget doesn't stretch to that one.

That is one on my shortlist! Not many within 50 miles of where I live so a trip to Cardiff beckons. Thanks again

Good stuff. I really like that car!

If/when you go, make sure you tell them you want to test the car from cold - pop the bonnet and ensure it is when you arrive - and test drive for at least 45 mins on all road types. Check the levels when you have the bonnet open too. Oh, make sure it has the spare remote key and you want to see/touch the FSH too. If they don't have it to hand, or refuse to show you it, leave.

• Like 2

...and as this has beige carpets, get a set of beige mats too - looks sooo much nicer than black!

A pain to keep clean though!  Beige leather is fine as it cleans fairly well but beige carpets are difficult to manage after a while as you tend to get a lot of black marking on them.

A pain to keep clean though!  Beige leather is fine as it cleans fairly well but beige carpets are difficult to manage after a while as you tend to get a lot of black marking on them.

No, not really in my experience. We have them in our MKI - now 9 years old - and they're fine. Just "Winterise" the car (change-over to rubber mats!) from Oct and they fine; they can even be pressure-washed without a problem...

Thanks to Superb170, Did indeed have a "light" coloured carpet at one time and it can be a pain to keep clean. Still, looks a nice motor and I can clean all manner of things, usually quite well. Have to wait and see.

Thanks everybody for the help and advice. Calls to make and trips to do.

The one at Jeff White has gone but still another one available. Trip to Cardiff in the morning. Is the cambelt 100,000 or a set number of years?

So an update. Trip to Cardiff to the Cardiff motor company and bought a maroon Superb and should be picking it up on Thursday. Lovely. Farewell Volvo and welcome to Skoda.

So an update. Trip to Cardiff to the Cardiff motor company and bought a maroon Superb and should be picking it up on Thursday. Lovely. Farewell Volvo and welcome to Skoda.

Well done and welcome to Briskoda too, probably the friendliest and most helpful Forum you'll join....