Smartlink Unlocking/Activation option

Close to a resolution but doesn't include adding smartlink.

Is there any info elsewhere to suggest all the hardware is on Amundsen and its purely an activation issue?

Wondering how likely activation is eventually?

I have just received my MY16 Octavia and my Bolero (MIB II) says that I can activate by code but it looks like that's not the case (reading the topic here).

Does somebody have any information what's the situation with VW? As far I understand SmartLink is called "App Connect" there I guess that there are same system?

also posted on the SmartLink ask me anything thread....

Adding Smartlink - once build date confirmed.

I ordered our car on the 5th June and have had a build week confirmed for some time now (wk 35   :yawn: ).

Having read this thread I decided to see if I can get the feature enabled at build - I know that its installed in the car, but there have been a number of comments that its not possible to get the enabling code applied after delivery.

I emailed my dealer late yesterday, just had an email back saying "all sorted".... So if anyone has had a change of thought about this feature and they already have a build week allocated it is still possible to get that bit of the order changed.

I expect there is some sort of point of no-return, but If you don't ask you wont get!

• Like 1

yup, that's what I did back in May, pretty much as soon as smart link was announced I asked for it to be added, a nice add  on in my experience so far, but I'd not get really worked up if I didn't have it on the amundsen, it's more worthwhile for the bolero as it adds nav to the bolero in effect

but I'd not get really worked up if I didn't have it on the amundsen, it's more worthwhile for the bolero as it adds nav to the bolero in effect

Agreed, except (as I mentioned in the other thread) if I can use my pet Nav app from the phone then that would be a huge bonus.

We quite often navigate to places in the countryside exploring WWI and WWII sites and Navmiii is streets ahead as I can narrow down the location to a 3m square - like this for example

downloaded it, android auto doesn't recognise it. Now this is either because it's not compatible and/or google do not want anyone else's nav on their home screen. 

downloaded it, android auto doesn't recognise it. Now this is either because it's not compatible and/or google do not want anyone else's nav on their home screen. 

Thanks for that...

I'll see what the developers at NavMii come up with, bit of a bummer - seeing as how we are supposed to be living in this "open architecture" world...

also posted on the SmartLink ask me anything thread....

Adding Smartlink - once build date confirmed.

I ordered our car on the 5th June and have had a build week confirmed for some time now (wk 35   :yawn: ).

Having read this thread I decided to see if I can get the feature enabled at build - I know that its installed in the car, but there have been a number of comments that its not possible to get the enabling code applied after delivery.

I emailed my dealer late yesterday, just had an email back saying "all sorted".... So if anyone has had a change of thought about this feature and they already have a build week allocated it is still possible to get that bit of the order changed.

I expect there is some sort of point of no-return, but If you don't ask you wont get!

My dealer (in Bulgaria) told me that the cars are locked for changes 1month prior build week. Unfortunately SmartLink was announced here when I had just two weeks left so I wasn't capable to change the order but a colleague of mine successfully added SL after the order.

• 3 weeks later...

how to activate smartlink function on bolero 6.5".there is a menu named smartlink but it needs activation code.dealers doesnt know about activation key.(from Turkey)

No one knows yet.

No one knows yet.

My dealer (Bulgaria) told me that:

"Activation key for SmartLink will be offered as original Skoda accessory. There isn't a official release date yet."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I got my new MY16 Octavia Estate at the end of June, and honestly I had no idea I was getting the MY16 until I was midway through the ordering processing. Unfortunately this means I missed the fact that smart link was a factory option. I asked my dealer about adding it (West End Skoda Edinburgh) and this is what he told me:

"The Smart link software is present in the infotainment unit in Octavia, Yeti and New Fabia. However it needs to be activated through the computer system that dealers technicians operate. At this moment in time the factory have only released the activation codes for the Fabia and are still working on Yeti and Octavia. Once they have done so the smartlink can be activated and used but not until then. I have asked for timescales which is difficult for them to judge at the moment but we would be inclined to believe it will be towards the later end of 2015 before we see the activation codes being released. I will keep track of it and as soon as I hear anything I will let you know."

I'll let you know if he gets more information to me.

• Like 2

interesting. West End was the dealer I ordered from, they advised me of when to place the order so we could be sure it was MY16, but I knew about smart link before Skoda told them soI was very clear that I wanted it added.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 

Please to join the BriSkoda forum as I've just taken delivery 2 days ago of a nice shiny (out of the packet) Scout 184 DSG.

Drives beautifully and looks fab...perfect for what I want.....

Disaster yesterday as I read the owners book and thought "Hmm...this SMARTLINK things looks cool and went out to the drive to get it paired with my iPhone5s.

I had the 'contact the dealer for your activation code' HUH ???

Quick call to Arbury in Leamington.

A - Hi Mr Brown, hows your new Scout doing?

Me - Great thanks, can you help me get the Smartlink thing going for my iPhone?

A - Ah....right....I dont know about that...I'll speak to service and get them to contact you with the info

2mins later...Phone rings

A - Mr Brown? This is xxxx here at Arbury Skoda. Im afraid it's a charge of £150 + VAT to activate your SMARTLINK  :dull:

Me - Sorry!! Am I hearing you correct?? YOu want to charge me another £200 for something thats actually in the car....working and fitted but needs an activation code for my iPhone to work?? Are you having a laugh? I've just spent nearly £30,000 on a brand new car and you want this as an extra. 

A - Yes...sorry.....it comes standard in Fabias but its an extra cost to activate the system already in all new 2015 Octavias

Me - OK......I'll be in touch and be writing to you and Skoda UK. Personally I think that a car worth nearly £30,000 should come with all extras, and I had thought Skoda were wanting to up their game and be seen as an upmarket and slick operation - NOT going down the Ryanair style route of charging at the last gasp for fairly essential items.

Im just gob smacked that a brand new car...fitted with the option and ready to roll with no mention of this charge in the brochure I poured over before choosing it, should suddenly turn out to be a car that has left me not smiling but kinda thinking....cheap......sneaky......stupid.....cost saving....

Am I alone here?

And there you have it.....

Im hopipng that the dealer gets back to me and provides me with a solution. I'll keep this post updated for other readers and Skoda owners but as a person who runs his own business....I'd for sure not be wanting to see people thinking I was operating in a Ryanair....pay for everything model. Ryanair have been trying to dig themselves out of the mire for years of penny pinching....Skoda make cars that sell themselves once driven - they dont need this kind of negative publicity and grumbling from their owners.....or do they?

Thanks for reading

Edited by scottbrown

As the others have said you ticked other options and paid for them so why is this one different?

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Because it wasn't ticked?

Because it wasn't ticked?

Well yes what I meant was why was it ok to pay for other optional extras but not this one.

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@xdq *just speculating* but perhaps it's now £100 to order from factory and £150 from dealer post production?

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

That's possible but knowing the issues that people have with dealers I've take the cautious approach and asked the dealer to also spec smartgate (without mentioning the reason). I'd hate to get my car only to find there was a naming error on their system.