Superb brakes not superb at all!

Anyone find their brakes are poor? My 5 week old elegance 170dsg estate has the least sharp brakes I've ever had on a car. They seem to fade. Thought it might be brake dust so hosed all 4 discs and no difference. I was expecting that after 3500 miles they would be pretty sharp.

I mentioned it to the service manager at my supplying dealer and said they were scaring me at times. I fully expected him to insist on having the car in to check the brakes out but he showed little interest. So little in fact that they won't be servicing my car now! #poorattitude=lost customer.

The brakes on my superb were the exact opposite, it was almost impossible to stop smoothly as even the lightest touch on the pedal would stand the car on it's nose ! After 3-4000 mls they eased off and now work as you might expect. 

How old is the car? Brake fluid absorbs water and can cause a very noticable sponginess to the pedal. Any good garage should have a tester to test the water in the fluid. 

EDIT: Oppps seen the 5 weeks old. Maybe not my suggestion. Is there sufficient fluid in the reservoir? I find the brakes in the Superb typical VAG brakes in being over servo'd but perfectly capable of stopping the car repeat ably.

Carpets not caught under the pedal?  

Edited by Nathanio

My 3.6 has "superb" brakes!

Full of feel and great at stopping the big lump of car that a Superb is.

What is most surprising is that I am on the original disks and pads at 36K miles!

My last car, an Audi AllRoad did pads front and rear every 15k-18k and disks at 30K

Mine is a 170 DSG so would have expected the brakes to be good. Booked in to a different dealer for a brake check. I'm thinking it's lacking servo full assistance. It's ok ish around town but absolutely crap above 60 reminds me of the brakes on my 1968 mini !

I find Brakes on Superb take some getting used to. I moved from a BMW 3 series to the superb and there is a big difference. Just takes some getting used to and having to apply more pressure than in the BMW. I don't think there is an issue just different.

If I've been driving another car for a while, I tend to press too hard. They are definitely lighter than other cars. The only thing i if I press the pedal and release it several times close together, the servo assistance disappears very fast and then it sounds like yours. I'm quite surprised how even three presses will do this, there seems to be no vacuum reservoir at all.

If I've been driving another car for a while, I tend to press too hard. They are definitely lighter than other cars. The only thing i if I press the pedal and release it several times close together, the servo assistance disappears very fast and then it sounds like yours. I'm quite surprised how even three presses will do this, there seems to be no vacuum reservoir at all.

Then, like the OP, I'd get the car to your dealer to get it checked-out.

Then, like the OP, I'd get the car to your dealer to get it checked-out.

Oh. I'd kind of accepted it since its normally fine. Maybe you are right. Its in for service this time next week so maybe I should get it checked then.

Oh. I'd kind of accepted it since its normally fine. Maybe you are right. Its in for service this time next week so maybe I should get it checked then.

Personally, they'd be no maybe about it; these are your brakes man, and that doesn't sound "normal"! :)

Brakes,if you suspect a fault it needs to be checked out.

Get a second opinion not from skoda but from a place with brake testing equipment.rolling road and get a print out of the results.

A friendly mot testing garage would be of help here,just explain your concern and ask for a brake test,well worth the ££.

If you lived down south (west London/heathrow) I know an excellent family run mot,garage who would be able to assist.

Best of luck. :sun:

During a 600 mile round trip to Aberdeen I gave the brakes quite a bit of deliberate hard use and power flushed all 4 wheels on my return home and they are now pretty sharp. Most of my miles are motorway and I'm thinking that, as I don't drive hard on my brakes normally, the pads weren't bedded in. Hopefully this will be the problem sorted.

• Like 1

When I first got the Superb I thought the brakes were weaker compaired to the Volvo XC70 I had before, I have just gotten used to them. It could be a excuse to price a set of Brembo's with red calipers :happy:

I must admit I am having mine checked when it goes in for its 1st service on the 17th... As a rule during normal driving they seem OK, but not as good as my Exeo.. then again I suppose as its a DSG the car is trying to drive forward and you are trying to stop it, so pushing it along a little, where the Exeo was manual so you could use the clutch... 

My issue is on a few occasions after the car has stood a week (as usual) the brake pedal is rock hard, but this has only been about 3 or 4 times over 12 months, so I would expect a leak would cause the issue more often... Also the pedal does seem to travel a long way compared to my Exeo... Not all the way down, but further than I would expect... 

I would say typical VW/Audi DSG with ABS.

My Audi A4 has always been such. Yet in an emergency they are VG. 

• 2 weeks later...

Brakes,if you suspect a fault it needs to be checked out.

Get a second opinion not from skoda but from a place with brake testing equipment.rolling road and get a print out of the results.

A friendly mot testing garage would be of help here,just explain your concern and ask for a brake test,well worth the ££.

If you lived down south (west London/heathrow) I know an excellent family run mot,garage who would be able to assist.

Best of luck. :sun:

Which one?

No problem with mine. Gentle touch when driving slows down evenly. Last week used them in earnest, almost needed to peel wife off the windscreen. Very happy there performance.