Anyone else had a DPF gutted on a PD?

Hi All,

I want to chat to people who have had their DPF gutted and refitted, and maybe a remap.

I have had it done a few months ago along with a stage 1 remap, egr off etc, and almost immediatley got the owl sound, panicked and had a new turbo fitted, anyway the owl has never gone away even with the new turbo. It is very loud when going slowly but goes completeley when I floor the car and I just get the turbo hiss as normal.

Is this the same for everyone, this meaning the large open chamber of the DPF amplifying the turbo sound at low RPM?

Don't get that here - just after it was done the car initially sounded 'hollow' if you get what I mean but soon quietened down.  Certainly no issues with owl sounds - just and occasional quiet pfftt on the overrun when changing gear which I don't recall noticing before.

The noise is just something you seem to get on variable vane/geometry turbos. Gutting the DPF will increase the noise as DPFs are fairly restrictive to begin with, coupled with a map which may change the characteristics of when the car comes on boost and how strong will also make the noise seem more noticable. You tend to notice it less at higher revs just because of the increased engine noise and even road noise and because of the rate the exhaust gasses will be flowing out. It's nothing to worry about.

If a new turbo was starved of oil it would have failed pretty rapidly (any turbo would fail in fact regardless of age)

The noise is just something you seem to get on variable vane/geometry turbos. Gutting the DPF will increase the noise as DPFs are fairly restrictive to begin with, coupled with a map which may change the characteristics of when the car comes on boost and how strong will also make the noise seem more noticable. You tend to notice it less at higher revs just because of the increased engine noise and even road noise and because of the rate the exhaust gasses will be flowing out. It's nothing to worry about.

If a new turbo was starved of oil it would have failed pretty rapidly (any turbo would fail in fact regardless of age)

I have done about 6-7k miles on the new turbo and it doesnt seem to be getting any worse, I was just suprised at the increse in noise. You definatley cant miss it. Its only noisy in the car too, with the window down its pretty quiet. So I am not too worried. But with the problems I have had and the cash I have spent this year I am paranoid. I keep thinking I should take the car back to get an oil feed pipe but then I think if it aint broke, dont fix it.

+1    just control it via foot and hand coordination  (when you want :notme: )

It will just seem loud in the car seeing as the dpf is/was next to the bulk head so it will almost sound as if its coming from the dash. I can understand where you're coming from being a bit paranoid if you've already thrown a bit of money at it. I'm pretty confident you should be fine though

It will just seem loud in the car seeing as the dpf is/was next to the bulk head so it will almost sound as if its coming from the dash. I can understand where you're coming from being a bit paranoid if you've already thrown a bit of money at it. I'm pretty confident you should be fine though

OK thanks, thats made me feel a bit better about it. And yes it does sound like its in the dash, a bit weird really.

I had the DPF gutted on my ex 07 plate PD Tdi Vrs (Octavia) What an improvement it made, had a Shark Stage 0 map, no power gains but all the sensors turned off.

I did notice a small change of the exaust note, a little deeper, like a growl. Completely transformed the car

If its any more comfort my Car makes the owl sound, I personally like it and often purposely induce it!!  bought the car on 64K now showing 73K and it hasn't got any worse.

Think people confuse the owl sound with the police siren sound when a turbo is on its way out.

I had the DPF gutted on my ex 07 plate PD Tdi Vrs (Octavia) What an improvement it made, had a Shark Stage 0 map, no power gains but all the sensors turned off.

I did notice a small change of the exaust note, a little deeper, like a growl. Completely transformed the car

Yes isnt it so much nicer without the DPF MPG increases and far more responsive

If its any more comfort my Car makes the owl sound, I personally like it and often purposely induce it!!  bought the car on 64K now showing 73K and it hasn't got any worse.

Think people confuse the owl sound with the police siren sound when a turbo is on its way out.

It is definitley the owl not the poice siren almost like blowing over the top of a bottle ish. I feel tempted to have the DPF taken off and opened up again. Then have a pipe put inside to make the exhaust a constant pipe, then stuff glass fiber in the vois between the pipe and the dpf housing. it might quieten it a bit.

• Like 1

Wasn't there coments made in a tread that a pressure test for the exaust was being thought about to see if the DPF has been gutted, at the moment is only a visual check for an MOT.

Do you think putting a straight through pipe in the DPF canister might help in this test as there will be no void in the DPF canister

Ive got the owl noise i have a straight through stainless exhaust from the turbo its conpletly normal if you go on youtube and search for it loads of videos on it. Alot of people dont like it but i like it youl get to know how to make it louder or quietier with how you drive.

• Like 1

At last Wilson!!.. Someone else who likes the noise, I too have learnt how to make it louder / quieter, isn't this noise similar to a dump valve that boy racers pay good money for?? Lol.

Wasn't there coments made in a tread that a pressure test for the exaust was being thought about to see if the DPF has been gutted, at the moment is only a visual check for an MOT.

Do you think putting a straight through pipe in the DPF canister might help in this test as there will be no void in the DPF canister

I mentioned about more stringent checks for dpf removal last week on a remap thread. I spoke to Mark at Brotek about removing the dpf but he said he was moving away from doing them as in his words it's illegal for him to do it as it is for the owner to have it done. These guys are in the trade they will hear stuff on the grapevine. He said vosa were looking to introduce pressure tests somewhere in the system to check for their presence. It may take a few years to get it in but if vosa are talking about it it'll be just a mattef of time imho. Needless to say, I'll be leaving my dpf well alone.

• Like 1

Have to agree with meaty, and luckily I don't have a DPF, but if I did, it too would be left well alone, if the car is designed with one then it should be there.

Would you take your seat belts out to save weight?

Same as the EGR, mine is and will be staying were its meant to be, why bother with the potential hassle?

If VOSA are considering pressure checking for the presence of a DPF then all you need to do is (after you've gutted the thing) introduce an extra pipe in the thing with a calibrated restrictor that apes the back pressure created by a standard DPF. It won't block up and you'd have to strip the exhaust to check.

Julian.

Have to agree with meaty, and luckily I don't have a DPF, but if I did, it too would be left well alone, if the car is designed with one then it should be there.

Would you take your seat belts out to save weight?

Same as the EGR, mine is and will be staying were its meant to be, why bother with the potential hassle?

This could be one of the problems with the DPF fitted to the PD engine.

It wasn't really designed to have a DPF

For the mot test it will depend on what euro emisions spec your car is ie early pd vrs,s only have a visual test so that may just stay as it is,where a new vrs tdi will get a different level of test possibly eimisions based ,no one knows for sure when the law will change it may take years yet .

The major issue here could be finding someone to do it for you though. I don't know what kind of job it is but say your handy with the spanners you've still got to have the car mapped to remove the dpf from the system. I don't agree with comments regarding factory fitted stuff being left alone. Egr's were only fitted to bring down emissions. It's well known how clogged they get. I already have a blanking plate ready to fit. As for dpf's, there was loads of Octavia pd engines that run perfectly fine without them it was only the vrs that had them. So I'll stick to my opinion that engine was never intended or designed to have one. If it wasn't for the thought of it failing an mot i would have it taken out tomorrow because the amount of times it regens is rediculous.

This could be one of the problems with the DPF fitted to the PD engine.

It wasn't really designed to have a DPF

I think to some extent that's a myth. Common rail was first developed in the 1960s and never intended to be used with DPFs either. It's just easier to get a common rail setup to work properly with a DPF than it is to get PD to work properly with a DPF as the CR has greater injection timing flexibility.

The major issue here could be finding someone to do it for you though. I don't know what kind of job it is but say your handy with the spanners you've still got to have the car mapped to remove the dpf from the system.

That doesn't follow. If you gut the DPF and introduce a 'calibrated' orifice into it to simulate the back pressure thenthe ECU will continue, fat, dumb and happy!

Julian.

As for dpf's, there was loads of Octavia pd engines that run perfectly fine without them it was only the vrs that had them. 

VRS, 4x4 and Scout with the PD engine had DPF's

• Like 1