Oil Spray Jet (Squirters) Replacement 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132 - 136 kw Twincharger.

I know how long the job takes to do from start to finish.

But can i ask those that have had the car in to have this done.

?1

How long did they want your car in for, and how long were you told the job takes?

?2

Did they do anything other than a Oil & Filter change, like a complimentary service.

?3

What was put in the Service Book, or on the Computer System,

& was your Service Indicator Reset, 

or have you to do the next oil change at the same mileage as before they have changed the oil.

thanks.

george

• Like 1

1. Two days (ended up 1 1/2 days including car wash). They said it could be done in one day, but they'd rather not rush it.

2. No. EDIT: Maybe there was an ECU update done, although they said they would do that if it wasn't to the latest spec.

3. Nothing was altered or registered that I know of - I will have the next service at the regular time, so they can do the other tyre-kicking checks.

I will, of course, be keeping a good eye on the oil level to report back here and to the dealer - I think that is a useful way for the dealer/brand to learn if the squirters really do what they are rumoured to. 800km down is too soon to report on this, but I have a gut feeling the oil temperature is running a degree or two warmer than usual - maybe this is the trade-off for smaller nozzle on the oil jets?

Edited by OzFabia
  • Like 3

dropped the car off at 6pm to pick up the courtesy car so they can start work on it first thing in the morning

got an email from them about 2pm (same day) said the car is ready to collect. did the minor service as well. 

service book stamped as minor service. no idea if they use new or old oil (they put new oil in for oil comsumption test last week) 

i was told it would take about 3 days but 6 hours later the car is ready. 

so far no smoke from exhaust pipe and rear window looks cleaner, normally it would cover with black soot. 

cant tell if drop in oil dip as it still early day. i'm gonna wait for 500 miles before check oil dip 

edit: result for oil consumption test was 1.3 litre per 1000KM 

Edited by wesleyuk
  • Like 1

dropped the car off at 6pm to pick up the courtesy car so they can start work on it first thing in the morning

got an email from them about 2pm (same day) said the car is ready to collect. did the minor service as well. 

service book stamped as minor service. no idea if they use new or old oil (they put new oil in for oil comsumption test last week) 

i was told it would take about 3 days but 6 hours later the car is ready. 

so far no smoke from exhaust pipe and rear window looks cleaner, normally it would cover with black soot. 

cant tell if drop in oil dip as it still early day. i'm gonna wait for 500 miles before check oil dip 

edit: result for oil consumption test was 1.3 litre per 1000KM 

Blimey was it really that bad?

1. They wanted the car for 24 hours. It was dropped off in the morning and was supposed to be finished next morning. The next morning I was told they would need it for longer as the goop they used to seal the sump wasn't set as it got cold here overnight. Was actually ready by that afternoon but picked up the next day.

2. Just Jets, new oil and filter. Software update was done a few weeks before. Nothing else.

3. No other changes.

Car now done 1500 kms. Exactly as wesleyuk has said above....no smoke from exhaust, rear window cleaner....no noticeable oil usage. 

• Like 2

Wonderful.

Remind us please.

How many miles had the car done before the New Oil Jets were fitted,

& importantly, how much Oil did the Official Oil Consumption test show the engine was using.

PS

In the UK Owners with Early CTHE Engine cars are told by Dealerships there is no Software Update for their Engines.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Car had about 28400 kms when oil jets fitted. Now 30000 kms. Didn't have an official oil consumption test. I just advised the service manager of how much it had used in 1000 kms.(about 650-700ml). He said to bring it in for a software update that played with the oil pressures,(reducing) I was then told they wanted to do the oil jets as well, so booked it in for them. Now seems to be great but of cause, still keeping a check on oil levels. 

ps. Just remembered that when the jets were done, I also thought the spark plugs were changed as it was cold idling very smoothly. Still is!!

Edited by alloyvee
  • Like 1

'Skoda Australia' must have given better instructions to Dealership to resolve the issue rather than pretend there is none.

Pay the money, make the engines perform as the Engineers and Factory intended them to, 

and end up with satisfied owners / drivers.

Now if Skoda UK, VW UK, Audi UK & Seat UK had done the same starting 4 years ago things would have been so different.

• Like 2

wesleyuk, 

When was your car first registered.?

There are a number of CTHE Owners with cars first available in the UK late 2012 - 2013 that have been told there 

is no ECU / Software Upadates available.

There are updates for the CAVE 2010-2012 1.4 TSI,

some have had updates and some may not have had.

Parts under £150 including New Oil & Filter (if Required)

(& a Main Dealership can have a car in at 8.30 am & ready for collection by 2.00 pm. eg, as done on wesleyuk's engine.

so 4 hours @ £60 an hour plus VAT.

Under £450 should do it.

Best get a quote from a Main Dealer.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Added from the oil comsumption sticky for info,

Having recently had the squirter fix on our Fab, It appears to have sorted out the issue.

Car details, March 13 registered with CTHE engine built November 12.

We bought it this year in February.

Oil consumption before fix:-

07/02/15 17127m Serviced
14/03/15 17627m 1/2 full
24/03/15 18023m Amber Light on - refill to full (+2ltrs)
06/04/15 18173m 3/4 full
10/04/15 18500m 1/2 full
15/04/15 18688m 1/4 full

24/04/15 Visit to dealers for Oil consumption test.

During the consumption test, the engine light appeared 4 times during pull aways and misfired on 3 separate occasions.

A 12v data logger was fitted at the start of the test and logged 166 key starts over 400 miles on its usual school, shopping and commuter rounds through the suburbs.

Excessive oil use confirmed by the dealership and Squirter update completed 10 June.

Since the fix on the same stop/start driving routine

Barely any noticeable usage of oil in 400+ miles

No visible oil spots across the back of the car

No heavy exhaust smoke during pull-away from standstill or low rev, high torque accelerations.

No misfires or engine lights.

Now I have to fight the missus for the car keys.

• Like 2

At a very conservative estimate, your average journey was less than five miles, probably nearer three miles and not on Motorways or 'A' roads either I suspect?

I don't think that the vRS engine would have got up to normal operating temperature on this sort of trip. I wonder whether this has any bearing on the high oil usage? Having said that, since it now appears to be working properly, perhaps not.

As a matter of interest, what was the "12v data logger", did you or the dealer install it and for what reason?

<SNIP>
Mileage is 97% short trips for us. Between 6th and 10th April, I ran it 230 odd miles round trip on the M6 in a day to see if the oil level would drop quickly or not when doing something different to the usual routine. It stayed relatively high for the vehicle speed and mileage covered so consumption had to be low rev/short trip related.
<SNIP

But assuming that you still do 97% short local trips where the engine has not reached normal operating temperature why would the problem have disappeared now as a result of the new oil spray jets? As I understand it, the point of the oil spray jets is to cool the pistons.

I work for a battery manufacturer and was given a Midtronics data logger to try before visiting customers with it. So killed 2 birds with one stone and fitted it to the VRS to see what else electrically was going on. It records battery voltage and amperage up to 1000 hours max. The key starts and engine runtime were recorded plus other electrical changes, unlocking, locking going to sleep, that sort of thing. Short trips hammer battery life but thats another thread!

Maybe the change is to reduce the oil flow rate through the squirters = less oil on the cylinder walls to allow the piston scraper rings to do their job properly instead of floating over excess oil

I see your car was an early build CTHE, and First Registered about 4 months later.

So who had it until this year, and what Warranty Work had been done if any.

Did you buy it new, or used, and what was the story on oil use before the Service.

Was the Service done with the correct oil and quantity. 3.6 litres?

Then how many miles were covered for the Oil Consumption Test & how much Oil was consumed?

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

PS

I asked up in the Pinned thread.

Has your ECU had a Software Update with the new Oil Spray Jets,

& Updated Breather pipe / Valve.

What about the Spark Plugs,  were they checked & were they replaced, 

since you were having Logged Misfires & Exhaust Emission Control light showing.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I think that if you read his posts you will find that he bought the car this year in February, that it had done a little over 17,000 miles and that about 400 during miles were covered during the oil consumption test.

Edited by vxh26
  • Like 1

I see that now.

So already an Oil Drinker. 

So who bought from and any previous Oil Consumption checks are the relevant bits.

Then who Serviced it, with what oil and how much.?

I take it 1/2 full,  3/4 full etc refers to the Dipstick showing full, half quarter etc.

Because no Warning light for low oil or low oil pressure than Plus 2 Litres to take it to the correct oil is a serious matter,

as is the Mis-fires, and warning lights.

If it was drinking oil at that rate from having 3.6 litres in and just the Newer Oil Spray Jets sorts it out, result.

Great Great Result actually.

There is hope.

PS.

No, no idea on the mileage of the Consumption test after 24/04/15,

i see 400+ miles since the Oil Spray Jets were changed.

?

BigEjit,  

Who many miles was the Oil Consumption Test carried out over, & how much oil was used. Litres / Grams 

on the Report for Skoda.?

Edited by goneoffSKi

Hi goneoffski,

I replied in the Sticky.

Extra info,

There were 2 previous owners, First owner bought it in Oxford and had first service in Bergen, Germany, 10/03/14 @9190m . There are a lot of British servicemen in that area so maybe related. Addition of sat nav from new indicates someone who was going to travel a fair bit.

Second owner ran it between the service periods so the second service was at Oxford, 07/02/15, 17127m. Sat nav showed a few destinations stored up to 50 miles max from Oxford so I guess the second owner mainly used it around town and dumped it due to oil issue. (Clear the satnav when selling!)

I was sure the misfires were due to sooting up of the spark plugs. My Saab V6T is renowned for coil issues and the VRS misfires didn't seem the same. I also had Golf GTi Mk4 coil pack fails before which occurred in the same manner as the Saab (Mid range full load when very hot). VRS misfires cleared for a while if I gave it a hard time for few miles to burn out any accumulations in the engine and exhaust but returned after the short trip routine

And yes,

1/2 full,  3/4 full etc  does refer to dipstick oil level on the hatched area (Subjective assessment!!).

You just ask Skoda UK Customer Services or a Skoda Dealer, 

the Previous History with Servicing etc is there if done by them.

*You can get the Oil Consumption Test Results if you want them.*

So was this a Skoda Approved Used Car, and Skoda Warranty work just under the 3 year Warranty.?

You should be able to get the Warranty Extended by Skoda UK since the engine was faulty.

? Has the DQ200 DSG had the Service Campaign work done if Required.

PS.

When the Oil is still on the bottom of the Dipstick with a Hot Check,

there can be as much as 1.3 - 1.5 litres low. from 3.6 litres.

2 + Litres low before a Warning light or Message on the Maxidot is a scary thought.

It is possible the car was overfilled at the Service.

Many things are possible.

All the best now though.

Do not over fill.

??

Where does the Oil sit now after 400+ miles from New Oil,

with the car on the flat & the OIl / Engine Stone Cold.

Edited by goneoffSKi