Oil Spray Jet (Squirters) Replacement 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132 - 136 kw Twincharger.

But you came on here to ask about doing oil changes and had not noticed that if you open the bonnet the Oil Filter is just sitting there at the top of the engine.

The Engine is just like all other 1.4 TSI ones, (the difference is a Supercharger at the rear and you are not touching that)

same way of Oil Changes and Spark Plug Changes, so no Mysteries for a Mechanic to work on for a service.

Same Tyres, Brakes, Steering, Door Hinges, Wiper Blades, Oil & Filter, Air Filter, Pollen Filter, even checking the Diagnostics for those that have the Equipment.

Plenty of Independents are VWG Trained, Licensed and even able to do Warranty Work.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/307654-how-easy-is-it-to-change-the-oil-filter-on-the-fabia-vrs

post-86161-0-71157800-1438415950_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-29483200-1438416087_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-84291900-1438416565_thumb.jpg

So, the "quick withdrawal" method worked, and a cold reading was exactly at the top of the cross-hatched section whilst cold. Anyone want to guess how much this would be down? My guess is somewhere between 100 and 250ml, which is a fair range, and makes my revised oil use between 1L/20000km and 1L/8000km  :think: . Even the lesser figure would be a great improvement, so I am more than pleased on the whole. :clap:

• Like 2

<SNIP>

Plenty of Independents are VWG Trained, Licensed and even able to do Warranty Work.

I'm sure they are, in which case they may even be a better (cheaper) bet than an authorised dealer with wall-to-wall carpets, soft music and a resident Barista.

ps - why don't you invest in a decent camera and/or take an evening class in basic photography ;)

Edited by vxh26

• 2 months later...

Can anyone that has had the Oil Spray Jets replaced please update on how it has gone please.

Did it reduce the oil usage?  Is that still the case, and after how many miles from the work being done,

& what did the tell you they were doing,

and was it done under Manufacturers Warranty, or a Warranty taken out after that expired?

I have now done about 5,300km since having the jets replaced. I have put in 400ml, but had a service in between so there may have been a bit more used. I'm thinking it's been consistently around 8,000-10,000km/litre, which I believe is typical for VAG engines? Previously, it was anywhere from 2,000 to 5,000km/litre, depending on weather conditions and/or driving style, so it's a big improvement.

I find the oil temperature tends to be a couple of degrees warmer in comparable conditions to before, so I'm not sure if the hotter weather coming up will exacerbate the consumption again. I believe I'm running VW Longlife oil (according to the service paperwork), but can only take the dealer's word for it. 

It was all done under warranty without quibbling by the dealer or Skoda Oz - no complaints at all about the service really. They tried the two breather mods first, then the jets*. They said they hadn't had any complaints after the jets being done, but I don't know how big a sample that is.

* My CAVE must be a pseudo-CTHE now...

Edited by OzFabia
  • Like 3

I had to add 750ml after 3k miles since oil jets work was done, as you know, my work and general driving isn't many miles and all stop/start which I believe was a contributor to oil usage right from new, when I go to the mainland and do a good hours driving it tends to use very little to nothing

Will be interesting to see what gets used in the next 3k miles 

• Like 2

Vrs-Fletch,  could you explain please.

Do you mean that when the Replacement Engine arrived for fitting it had the Upgrade Oil Spray Jets fitted already, 

or they were fitted before the Engine went in,

or you got a New Engine and it then needed Oil Spray Jet Upgrades?

My Sept 2012 CTHE has done over 5000kms since the oil jets and software were done. Has used about 500ml . Almost all of the kms were short runs to work. Just did a nice 660km highway run. It was due for a good clean out. It used to use up to 700ml per 1000kms.

As per OzFabia, I had no problems getting it done as once my dealer knew I was serious about the oil use, they arranged to get it fixed. 

• Like 3

Good afternoon. I did the mod with the oil jets and i dont know if it is me or not but i think the fuel consumption is a liitle bit higher. All of you that you did the oil jets mod have you seen any increase in the fuel consumption?

• 4 weeks later...

Full log below...

Was OK until Sept when it suddenly dropped pinging the light on but its going longer between fills now. Maybe down to covering longer road trips in the last few weeks rather than just city commuter runs.

13My CAVE

07/02/15 17127m Serviced
14/03/15 17627m 1/2 full
24/03/15 18023m Amber Light on - refill to full (+2ltrs)
06/04/15 18173m 3/4 full
10/04/15 18500m 1/2 full
15/04/15 18688m 1/4 full
24/04/15 19026m Visit to dealers for Oil consumption test
09/06/15 Oil Squirter installation
03/09/15 21135m Full
01/10/15 21735m Amber Light on - refill to full (+1.5ltrs)
26/10/15 22270m +1 ltr
20/11/15 22867m +1/2Ltr
29/11/15 23269m Full​

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

?

Any updates from members that had the Up-dated Oil Spray Jets installed, 

or any members that have recently had them fitted or bought a car with an engine that had them done already?

Mine apparently failed the consumption test last year, and had the new jets fitted, and passed the subsequent consumption test, since I've had the car is seems to use about 0.4/0.5l for 600/700 miles, which seems within the parameters the Sales manager advised (1litre to 600/800 miles), I  just check the oil every couple of weeks and top up when necessary.

Checking is the best plan if you have one that needs oil top ups occasionally or regularly.

The sales manager must have made up their own figures. Or just lied.

For all the different VW Engines, 3,4,5,6,8 cylinder Petrol & Diesel VW / Skoda / Seat / Audi might say, 

'May use as much' etc etc 

0.5 litres in 1000 km (621 miles)

If after Oil Spray Jets replaced and a Software Update an engine is using 0.5 litres or even 0.3 litres 

in 1000 km of driving in normal UK driving conditions then that surely is still a fail and high oil consumption.

If there is a Warranty / Guarantee on the work done, 

maybe best to Check the Oil consumption and if high then have Skoda UK arrange a correct Oil Consumption Check, 

then properly fix the engine or replace it.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

The info the sales manager gave me was 1litre to 600/800 miles is acceptable usage and within spec, maybe a little more if the car is used on short journeys, getting info off the dealership/skoda UK about exactly what was done in warranty in Oct/Nov last year was like pulling teeth, they were really unhelpful (skoda UK being the worst) I eventually  found out that the car had Oil Jets, Breathers, and an ECU reprogramme, and it also had a the timing chain replaced due to cam sensor issue, but they were unwilling to say what was warranty, what was goodwill and what the previous owner paid for. Skoda UK point blank refused to tell me what was done in Oct/Nov, as apparently they had no records. The sales manager was a little more helpful after I proved ownership.

With regards to warranty I was told there was some goodwill applied last year and that as the car is now older no more goodwill would be applied for any future work, unless it could be proved that any further issue were caused by the work carried out in Oct/Nov, to be honest I'm not really worrying about it, I'll continue to monitor the oil usage and if it get worse I'll get the oil consumption test done. After reading the issues with the VRS prior to buying I purchased a very good aftermarket warranty that specifically covers the engine, to be honest covers pretty much everything bar the tyres, so worse case and I need work I'll use that.

The sales manager advised that if the oil usage went up, I could get the consumption test done again (at my expense), and that if (big IF) any of the work done last year was found to have caused the issue it may possibly be covered under warranty, but I suspect if it was to fail the consumption test and need a new engine I would be on my own

Gordon is a Moron at a rather big Scottish Motor Group who shall remain nameless but rhymes with Parks of Hamilton also says that they are OK using 1 litre of Oil in 600 miles,

But he is wrong, dead wrong and Skoda UK know about him.

He also says that the spark plugs are OK for 70,000 miles.

@ scoobysn7x - did your car come with a Skoda Fabia manual? If not, you can probably download one from this very website.

Around page 112 you will find a statement to the effect that "Oil consumption could be as high as 0.5 litres / 1,000 km depending on your style of driving." Everything else is irrelevant, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING.

If you have the manual that comes with the car and not just an online one because you do not have a Fabia it is at the top of page 168.

It is very relevant that Volkswagen know that 0.5 Litres oil used in 1000 km shows that their tolerances for modern engines are just rubbish, where some 1.4 TSI / TFSI will use very little if no oil in a 10,000 mile annual use between services 

and some need a litre or so over a year and that another engine used the same way might need 8 litres between services 

and then change that at the fixed service.

VW , Skoda, Seat and Audi know there were Fundamental Design, Manufacturing, Component Choice and Quality Control Issues, Mapping issues as well, leading to high oil consumption.

vxh26 / vxh28 is some kind of VW fan boy that thinks it is all an internet myth and some big joke.

Nothing is relevant it seems other than what someone once told him, or he read somewhere from VW.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

I had my squirters changed breather mod and a ecu update and did 7k miles before I got rid of it for an octy without having to top any thing up. And that was a mixture of short runs to the shops. Motorways miles and thrashes around alpine passes.

Before work was done I was using around a litre of oil every 200-400 miles

Edited by raymundo
  • Like 1