Help - just bought Monte Carlo and do short journeys mostly. Mistake?

twoladies

Went out for a drive today over 60 miles one way, taking it easy until the last 5 miles where I got tired of being stuck behind dawdlers, so booted it! - This kick started the regen, so maybe this Italian tune up remark isn't such a non-sensical comment after all, I've noticed the same occur at other times, regen kicks in when engine up to temperature and I've just booted it -  There's no need to continue to boot it after it has started.

Funny you should say that as I was just talking to an Octavia Scout ('11 plate) owner** today who said his DPF light had started to pop up over the last few months. It had done so again this morning but cleared on the run to Elvington. 

I've interrupted plenty of regens but haven't had the light show up yet, even with my three mile commute.

**We were both stuck in the queue to get off the runway after the Vulcan fly by - 40 minutes without moving :( We'd got out of our cars to talk about the traffic, then moved onto Skodas - as you do :)

I had a 140 which was a great car but with my daily 2 mile city commute kept showing me the \dpf light- it never failed to perform well and always cleared with a half hour dual carriageway run-usually just before I turned for the return run so 15 minutes would do it. My second and current yeti gives no problems it is a petrol 1.8 and -for me altogether a better option.

It seems I was unlucky as many have no problems but generally diesels are only economically viable for high mileage drivers and will soon be banned from major cities.since the cheapness per mile for the user is outweighed by the people the fumes kill.

^ lets see how that rolls out here in france, more pollution from burning tyres as most of the population drive oil burners! :envy:  :sweat: 

Derv here equiv £0.85/litre

^^ For example:

As an owner of a diesel Yeti which these days (due to a change in circumstances) gets used primarily for short journeys ..... that fact that the diesel engine is not ideal for the current use I make of the car, it works fine and the idea of changing the car because of it has never crossed my mind.

• Like 1

Well...... my very elderly mother found it easy to get in and out of the Yeti as the passenger seat goes up and down. I need the car to pull a horse trailer and I like automatic.

What other option did I have if I wanted a Yeti? My friend has the 1.8 petrol, but its not automatic and I am a little doubtful re the towing capacity of the 1.8. They didn't do the 1.8 in auto anyway.

I didn't want diesel - but the other two alternatives which would suit my mother, were very small cars, not suitable for towing. Other cars were too high for her to get in and out of easily.

Soooo....... I have a lovely smart, new car (Monte Carlo) - zooms around nicely, but a bit of a nuisance being diesel.

Today, for some reason the screen changed showing 91c oil. I thought the car was about to blow up!! Sounds hot hot hot. But when I googled, it seems that's normal for diesel. No idea why the screen suddenly decided to show this!! Good job I didn't get the L&K - even more to go wrong and misunderstand.

I had my last car for 17 years - still played cassettes. Never had a problem. But less to go wrong I think.

You probably accidentally rotated the little knob on the steering wheel spoke... I do it all the time. This scrolls through various information options like range to empty, fuel economy, journey time etc and one option is oil temperature. 91°C is perfectly normal and at least shows you had it up to temperature, which is good.

Hey Weasley - thank you so much. I was fiddling with the little knobs etc. on the steering wheel, wondering what they were for!!

Also slight smell of burning when we got home, which I think might be a good sign.

Well, it may be diesel, but I don't think it will be boring!!

....easy to get in and out of .....

....pull a horse trailer....

....like automatic....

....zooms around nicely....

There - you've made your own case. 

As Weasley suggests, 91C is a fairly moderate temperature.  With a big caravan on the back, uphill and against the wind, I've seen 107C.  A constant legal limit (-ish) on a flat motorway might produce a steady 95C. 

Boring?  :no: :happy:

Why buy a diesel if you only do short journeys?

I wouldn't have - but everything else about it fitted the bill and although I don't use the power often, I do like having some 'poke' available when I want it without having to rev the 'cojones' off the the car. Also it was in the showroom and available for delivery the next day, and I had got permission from swmbo (had to act quick before it was rescinded).

• Like 2

I've had my 140tdi DSG for almost 3 years. Done 17500 miles. Never had the Dpf light on

I bought it because it suited me. It still does.

Am I worried about it failing.....no

If it does I will sort it or get rid

• Like 3

Well, I do like driving it.  I drive pretty slowly, but its fun to shock the drivers behind when I suddenly 'take off'!!!  :D  :clap:

However, its a bit shocking to find that I am getting 24.5mpg!!  Will take it on a run soon and see what it really does.

Not used to technology telling me all these things - was more content without!! :nerd:  :p

^^ Do check which 'mpg' display you are looking at.  The one with a '1' in the top RH corner is the journey average (putting it simply); the one without is the consumption at that moment, and has the ability to surprise.....

:peek: Thanks.

Nearly had a heart attack today when the fuel indicator showed half full - done 35 miles!!  After a short while, I realised that I was looking at the wrong dial :D

Never a dull moment.  Been told I can buy some stuff to put in the tank every six months to clean it  - but apparently its expensive.  Anyone tried it?

Never a dull moment.  Been told I can buy some stuff to put in the tank every six months to clean it  - but apparently its expensive.  Anyone tried it?

Why waste your money on snake oil?

• Like 1

I AM driving it and having fun!!

There seems to be some sort of restriction on my making any more posts until 26th July. So, it looks as though I will have to continue without your assistance, which is a great pity as you have all been so helpful!!

The rear sensors are great and I love seeing all the bars on the screen as I get closer - very clever.

I will be getting a towbar put on soon - do I have to tell the Insurance Company about this? Is this counted as a modification and will put up my Insurance? Questions, questions.

If I can't post after 10.48 today, thanks for all your help, but I hope to still be able to read any further comments.

To those of you in Herts - look out for the AX HAGG!!!

I suspect you can't post as you are not a paid up member. It's easy to join. I'm on my phone at the moment so it's not easy to do a link. Anyone?

Towbars - I did tell mine but they were not bothered

Not heard of a restriction on posting before.  Reported, for mod comment. 

(PS I've already posted this, but it's disappeared!  If it re-appears, apologies for apparent double-posting.) 

Paid-up?!  As far as I remember, you only pay for Freedom.