FIXED vrs idle shake

Yep, you can see it on everything.

Even on the dip stick if you check the oil level.

It's getting an engine flush and filter change but will take more than that to get it all out.

Sadly sometimes people don't see the big picture of removing the sump and cleaning as much as we can.

That is quite alarming, I hope my cam isn't mullered. If it is I'm going to have to attempt putting this right myself as I'm not throwing uber amounts of money at the car :-(

That is quite alarming, I hope my cam isn't mullered. If it is I'm going to have to attempt putting this right myself as I'm not throwing uber amounts of money at the car :-(

Camshaft isn't too tricky to change. Just take your time and keep all the bits organised etc and you'll find it's easier that you think.

2 tools will make it easier, the vag pulley locking tool and the vag puller.

Camshaft isn't too tricky to change. Just take your time and keep all the bits organised etc and you'll find it's easier that you think.

2 tools will make it easier, the vag pulley locking tool and the vag puller.

Thanks mate its always good to have a bit of reassurance from someone who's done it. I've read up massively on cambelt changes and timing and there is nothing that has really put me off doing it, I've just never done it before. I'm going to have an inspect later today (weather permitting) and will get some pictures up.

The bill came to £420 for the guys pictured. Just to give you an idea.

Was that you doing it under the garage you work at? Or just parts? Or you doing it mates rates?

sent from my Note 4 using Tapatalk.

That was at a garage I work for.

Regular customer, but was a taxi so they get a little discount depending on the job.

The new camshaft bolts from the dealers came to £22 as well which was cheaper than I remembered them being.

Cheers mate, any information is useful. On a side note, have you read on the Internet that post 2005 the black looking followers were used to try and combat this issue?

DLC coatings have been widely available since 2005 due to the massively reduced cost of the process, DLC confers big advantages to the followers however there are some concerns that inferior quality followers are using DLC to 'hide' poor quality steel underneath so buy a quality branded follower and don't pinch pennies.

I haven't had chance to take my cam cover off this weekend but I have taken some videos to better show my symptoms. I think this more and more points towards the issue which Jonwoo has/is having.

Here is the engine shaking violently on tickover

th_20150705_164945_zpsor8crhws.jpg

And from what I have read, this noise from the intake manifold is also a good indication of this problem

th_20150705_165112_zpssefzrlyp.jpg

(You can't actually here the sound I was trying to capture from the intake manifold that we'll but it is like a deep popping sound)

It's not a bad job to do, but I wouldn't advise it for a newbie DIY job...

If you can keep the car off the road for a few days. Maybe book Friday or Monday off work and get started on the weekend.

I'd advice buying the correct timing kit to lock the engine and buying a torque wrench to set the bolts up properly.

No, to be honest I don't fancy doing it just incase something goes wrong. Not so much that I'm clueless and would do something wrong (but that is always a possibility! Lol), but because we only have one car and I need the bloody thing to commute to Milton Keynes from Derby everyday.

I might drop it in to Unit 18 on my way home from work one night and see what they can offer.

I'm still going to take the cam cover off for a nosey as I can only see this further aiding the diagnosis. I'm waiting for a new smaller torque wrench to arrive in the post as my current one is a bit on the hefty side and has a high range.

I have been looking at a cheap head on ebay for £50 just to familiarise myself with taking it apart but on the other side, that could be £50 put towards putting it right! Lol

I haven't had chance to take my cam cover off this weekend but I have taken some videos to better show my symptoms. I think this more and more points towards the issue which Jonwoo has/is having.

Here is the engine shaking violently on tickoverth_20150705_164945_zpsor8crhws.jpg

And from what I have read, this noise from the intake manifold is also a good indication of this problemth_20150705_165112_zpssefzrlyp.jpg

(You can't actually here the sound I was trying to capture from the intake manifold that we'll but it is like a deep popping sound)

jesus that is a rough idle :(

• Like 1

I got same kind idel, engine shake like this video but my proplem solved when i change alternator this bearing thing was fully jammed

Surely you had other symptoms though if your alternator was goosed? What do you mean by "bearing thing"?

I've just quickly took another video and this is what I mean by it being intermittent lol, you wouldn't believe it is the same car. What I was hoping to show is how when the car is vibrating, the extra load on the engine from the air con being on calms it down tremendously.

What you can hear in this video (just) is this strange sound from the alternator region when the air con is off?

th_20150705_210523_zps4jqzv5bs.jpg

Is this helping with any clues people?

(Sorry to jon as well for the partial high jack of his thread!)

My m8's golf does similar if he turns climate control off,strange.

Try running the engine with the aux belt removed to eliminate alt clutch etc :)

• Like 1

My m8's golf does similar if he turns climate control off,strange.

Try running the engine with the aux belt removed to eliminate alt clutch etc :)

Will put that one on the to-do list next weekend :-)