12v Cigar Lighter - Ignition Switched Live needed

Installed a rear view camera today (E-Prance DVR, see attached pic, having been hit up the rear a couple of times.  Currently powered using cigar lighter socket in the boot (estate), but didn't realise this was permanently live.  I don't want to keep having to plug and unplug this when leaving the car.  Is there anything that can be done to change this over to only being live when the ignition switched on ? post-124367-0-83985300-1435521439_thumb.jpg

Running in a new feed from the fuse box to the back of the car sends the obvious choice. Others have done it before. I did this for my Mobius camera I fitted in the front.

BD, You could always fit a Smartcom split charge relay, They are rated at 30amps and are designed for the split charge supply to a caravan which is how I found out about them as I have a caravan, they give a constant supply and also 2 switched supplys thats only switched when the alternator is at a certain voltage, I use an electric coolbox in the boot when travelling and whenever we stop I had to remember to un plug it, I have now wired in the Smartcom relay into the original boot 12v socket supply, it now supplies that socket with a constant 12v as before but I now have an extra socket which is the switched supply for the cool box, works really well and simple to install.

http://www.split-charge-relays.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p136_smartcom-split-charge-relay.html

Edited by bryanp

Many thanks, the split charge relay seems to be a good way to go.

I did consider running a wire back to the fusebox just under the edge of the headlining, but a little worried about the curtain airbags that sit there.

Many thanks, the split charge relay seems to be a good way to go.

I did consider running a wire back to the fusebox just under the edge of the headlining, but a little worried about the curtain airbags that sit there.

NO! get a piggy back fuse holder off an ign fuse and the jobs done, hide the cable and bingo

I've found the 'always live' 12v socket a boon as it means the camera is recording when car is parked up etc. so would capture anything untoward at all times.

Shanco

I've found the 'always live' 12v socket a boon as it means the camera is recording when car is parked up etc. so would capture anything untoward at all times.

Shanco

but i leave mine overnight for over 12 hours, it only has 8 hours capacity on the card so it cant record everything....plus, forget its on, go on holiday for 2 weeks and will your car battery be flat?

If the camera is put to record only when movement is detected then an 8 hour card is more than sufficient. Cannot recommend leaving it live and going on holiday :sweat:  :sweat:

Shanco