H15 bulb - options

Hi all. I've been mulling over what to do about the yellow DRLs on my mk III Octy.

I was hoping to fit LEDs but as the bulb also contains the full-beam fillament, I'm not prepared to go down this route. I looked into other H15 bulbs but I believe Osram have a patent on the H15 mount, which explains why the only alternatives are unbranded Chinese crap. I even looked into bulb tinting (possible but expensive to get right). In desparation I emailed Osram asking them if they had any plans to bring out any 'white' H15s. Good news! This is what they said:

-----------------------------

Good morning,

Thank you for your web message.

We are actively working on a Cool Blue Intense version of our H15 bulb and expect it to be launched in the Autumn. If you would like us to keep your details on file, I will let you know when it is available.

Best regards

Keith Raftery

Technical Sales Manager

OSRAM Ltd

OSRAM House,

Waterside Drive,

Langley,

Berkshire SL3 6EZ

Tel: 01753 484173

• Like 1

The Fog lights on a MKIII Octavia are H16 fitment almost identical to an H8. H16 bulds are hard to get hold of. A member on here has modified H8's to fit with very little modification. The eletrical connection is the same, just the bulb holder is different

Could you modify a different bulb to fit instead of the H15's. 

Just a thought

By the way, according to the Osram website, the fogs are H8 (non-cornering) or H16 (cornering). Why they use different bulbs with different power ratings I don't know.

In the pictures I've seen, the cornering lights appear to contain two bulbs. If this is the case it would explain why they need a smaller, lower powered bulb.

• 2 months later...

interesting that the H15 packaging says 'up to 3700k', which means the DRLs may be less white than that. It also means that it would be better matched with Nightbreaker dipped beams than more Cool Blue bulbs. Anyway, have ordered them so thanks for posting.

interesting that the H15 packaging says 'up to 3700k', which means the DRLs may be less white than that. It also means that it would be better matched with Nightbreaker dipped beams than more Cool Blue bulbs. Anyway, have ordered them so thanks for posting.

Can you post pic when fitted...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, they arrived today. On balance I am quite pleased but the difference is quite subtle.

On the plus side, the DRLs are much whiter. Not pure white but an improvement. The full beams are much brighter.

On the downside, the sidelights (which use the DRL fillament but at a lower power) look just the same as before, ie crap.

So is it possible to code the lights so the sidelights are the same brightness as the DRLs? And if so is anyone in the Oxfordshire area able to do this for me for some beer tokens?

Apologies for the crap photo (which is just of the DRLs), but as I said, the difference is subtle.

post-129718-0-05030500-1442002429_thumb.jpg

My colleague has bought for cornering lights on Rapid Michiba H8 (Rapid uses H8):

http://www.ledperf.co.uk/pack-of-2-bulbs-h8-5000k-diamond-white-p-1557.html

You can get them also in H15 pack:
http://www.mbautodiely.sk/Michiba-Xenon-White-H15-12V-5000K-d973.htm?tab=description

Since they are 5000K they are white and the difference is really noteable. Only if you look directly to them you can se slight taste of green/blue...

Webweasel; how much better at the new ones at full beam?  ive tried all sorts in the H15 fitment. i have nightbreakers in the dipped and putting full beam on its difficult to see any better than without, the Nightbreakers are excellent. I'm not over fussed about style and fashion I just want better full beam performance

cheers

John

• Like 1

Okay, they arrived today. On balance I am quite pleased but the difference is quite subtle.

On the plus side, the DRLs are much whiter. Not pure white but an improvement. The full beams are much brighter.

On the downside, the sidelights (which use the DRL fillament but at a lower power) look just the same as before, ie crap.

So is it possible to code the lights so the sidelights are the same brightness as the DRLs? And if so is anyone in the Oxfordshire area able to do this for me for some beer tokens?

Apologies for the crap photo (which is just of the DRLs), but as I said, the difference is subtle.

Coding is possible for the side lights, Black_Sheep done mine, I'll check if he told Andy_V how.

They claim to have 20% more light than standard which doesn't sound much but I think they're worth it. I fitted H7 nightbreakers at the same time and drove back cross-country from Maidenhead on Saturday night and they lit up the place for miles around.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

have gone the Osram Cool Blue route and they are a big improvement over the Mtecs that were in before. agree colour not as white but certainly give excellent range, have nightbreakers as dipped and work well together

would recommend

thanks webweasel

• Like 1

Hi

id concur with webeasel, the drl isnt very white and the main beam isnt as white as the MTECs but their brightness is much better giving a much better range and spread of light than both the standard halogens and the mtec. combined with the nightbreakers on dipped they are a very big improvement on the standard setup

John