Loss of power on motorway

I have an 2006 Octavia 2.0tdi Pd diesel estate with 120k on the clock - used to be my company car doing 20~30k pa now retired its doing less than 8k mostly short trips. Recently when on the M25 suffered a severe loss of power, with engine going into limp home mode, bloody dangerous when doing 70+ in fast lane!! Pulled over, turned engine off for few minutes then restarted, all ok, and was able to finish journey. On way home same thing - am assuming its blocked filter (but can't get clear info if DPF fitted on this vehicle) but no lights showing on dash. Trying to run the car at high speed to regen just results in engine going into limp mode - can only assume it's back pressure in the exhaust - but why no indicator lights?

don't think your PD has a DPF unless it is a scout or 4x4 model

most likely to be clog up turbo vanes as short trips don't help the turbo burn off the carbon in the vanes

you could try adding some dedicated turbo clean to the fuel tank such as archoil

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product.php/839/archoil-ar6600-professional-diesel-turbo-cleaner

Doubt if DPF was fitted to your PD engine. You need to get it scanned to see what fault codes are logged.

As above, there is no DPF on your car.

If it has dropped into limp-home mode there will be a fault code logged, although it is very unusual for the car to be in limp-home mode without either the EML or glowplug light showing.

Time to find someone with VCDS to scan the car, see here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/224376-vcds-owners-map/

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

You're all quite right had the car checked and there is no DPF fitted. Both Skoda dealership and independent garage said no fault code showing, and car works perfectly once its been switched off for few minutes. Seems I may need to get it checked without switching off while the fault is evident. But since it's only happening after about 30 mins running at 70 ish on the motorway bit of a problem. Might try the Turbo Clean as recommended by Wiilydog. 

You're all quite right had the car checked and there is no DPF fitted. Both Skoda dealership and independent garage said no fault code showing, and car works perfectly once its been switched off for few minutes. Seems I may need to get it checked without switching off while the fault is evident. But since it's only happening after about 30 mins running at 70 ish on the motorway bit of a problem. Might try the Turbo Clean as recommended by Wiilydog. 

Might it be worth investing in one of those cheapo OBD dongles and an app for a smartphone? I believe you'll be able to read the codes yourself which should allow you to catch it if its intermittent and save you having to drive to a dealer when it occurs. There's a thread in the Superb area that discusses these things.

Edited by nickgpfc