Stem seals gone, parts needed

Hi guys, valve stem seals have gone unfortunately so I'm just making a shopping list of what I need, if anyone could point out if I'm missing anything that would be great!

Head Gasket (hole dependant)

Injector/rocker bolt kit

8 stem seals

Timing+water pump kit

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No point in a cam mate won't be going past 250 gunna fix it and sell it lol.

Any idea of the best place to get the kit from Hutchy? I've no long put a set of PD150 bolts in as well :@

Edited by tommccabevRS

No, it's just like a fitting kit needed if your changing a head gasket.

So you would need

- Head gasket

- Head bolts

- Head gasket set

- timing belt

Etc etc...

Just changed a camshaft today and the bolts were cheaper than I thought... £21.00 for the camshaft bolts

Just so you know, I've bought and fitted that exact kit a few times now, including my own Vrs.

I rebuilt my top end and changed all my valves and reground in the valve seats so changed the valve stem oil seals and used the ones from that kit.

Did exactly the same with the same kit on my 1.2 12v petrol Fabia and had no issues.

Cheers Hutchy, much help as per!

I've done a lot of reading on forums and stuff lately about PD130 engines stem seals Jason, didn't find much useful information until I came across this, which is exactly what my car does, the turbo is fine and the injectors have been changed so it must be them. It doesn't blue smoke any other time apart from what it says in the post in that picture so I am really hoping it is that coz if not it's getting broke lol

84f8a01fd5740e92a5105c726a011074.jpg

Edited by tommccabevRS

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers Hutchy, much help as per!

I've done a lot of reading on forums and stuff lately about PD130 engines stem seals Jason, didn't find much useful information until I came across this, which is exactly what my car does, the turbo is fine and the injectors have been changed so it must be them. It doesn't blue smoke any other time apart from what it says in the post in that picture so I am really hoping it is that coz if not it's getting broke lol

84f8a01fd5740e92a5105c726a011074.jpg

I've had this happen to me on the way home from work this evening, although wasn't coasting down a steep hill. Could it be the same problem?

Two big puffs of blue smoke, although I only caught the tailend of the first, but happened to catch the full bellow second time round :(

Replacing the stem seals themselves seems easy enough, not sure about the rest of it and don't fancy having to hand over ~1k for repairs.....

Don't say it like that :rofl:

Yeah I wouldn't be doing this on my todd, it's beyond anything that I've previously had to do to my cars in the past, so I would be looking at getting an employee at my mates garage to help for some beer tokens if I can.

Gonna keep an eye on the smoke and oil levels for a wee while first.

Any workshop manuals floating around to give me an idea about removing the head do you know?

Other than Haynes I'm not sure.

Basically....

- Inlet manifold and top boost pipe off.

- Turbo off.

- pretty much timing belt job, just removal.

- rocker cover off

- camshaft out

- headbolts off

- head off

- remove all valves and clean them

- replace valve stem seals and rebuild

Obviously a lot more involved than that but as a step by step guide to show what's needed, it's nothing major, just a few big jobs all at once. Most people can change a turbo and try a timing belt so that's the major done.

• Like 1

Mine isn't doing it anymore mate haha, got all the boost leaks sorted and somehow is cured it, there was a fair bit of oil sat on the silicone joints so I'm wondering if it was just spitting some of that out

Cheers for the offer, Steve.

Gonna bell my mate, have a chat and see what's what before I decide how to approach this.

Hutchy, that's kinda how I expected it and will hunt out my Haynes and take a look.

Mine isn't doing it anymore mate haha, got all the boost leaks sorted and somehow is cured it, there was a fair bit of oil sat on the silicone joints so I'm wondering if it was just spitting some of that out

Yeah thanks for that, kick a man whilst he's down :D

I've got a catch-can fitted so I guess I can rule that out?

Not really, could still be getting through the turbo oil seals.

Take a low boost pipe off and see if oil comes out :)

I had it off two weeks ago and nothing was there, but I'll whip it off again to check.

So in my mind you've ruled out a lot of the possible faults.

Turbo - pipes are all clean so not leaking

Crank case breather - you've got a catch can

Egr valve - removed so nice and clean

So it's going to be engine related or injector :)

• Like 1

Well hopefully I don't see it again and can forget about it, but if not I'm assuming the blue smoke will show on a more regular occurrence as it gets worse?

Is this something that I can leave to get worse, or better fixing before that happens? What damage will this side, if any?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but I'm trying to learn as I go :)

Appreciate the help dude.