Steering wheel vibration at 125-135 km/h while accelerating

Hello everyone.

Has anyone experienced this problem? It's a Vrs tdi FL with 130k km on a clock. No major isues with it. It vibrates on summer and winter wheels (both balanced). Brakes are newly installed.

I noticed it at arroud 80k km but it was barely noticable. Vibrates a bit more when accelerating with steering wheel turned a bit to left.

Any ideas are welcome.

Cheers.

Giggs

Edited by giggs

Rear console bushes on the control arms would be my guess. I seem to remember mine did the self same thing (as well as poorer cornering too). Fits the mileage too.

• Like 1

Interesting to know as my car been having the same issue since I had new front and rear brake pads installed. Mine had around 65K Miles when it started.

Can you check them yourself, I guess you're checking for movement?

Many Thanks

Paul

I had an issue with my van where I got vibration only when accelerating. It was the driveshafts (well the inner CV joints anyway). I had to replace both and that sorted it.

Edited by FatblokeVRS
  • Like 1

Interesting to know as my car been having the same issue since I had new front and rear brake pads installed. Mine had around 65K Miles when it started.

Can you check them yourself, I guess you're checking for movement?

Many Thanks

Paul

Had the issue even before brakes replacement. My mechanic checked for movement. Nothing has been found.

But I noticed something interesting. Just after the car is dropped from the lift the wheel vibration is reduced. But it eventually increases.

Cheers.

Giggs

I had an issue with my van where I got vibration only when accelerating. It was the driveshafts (well the inner CV joints anyway). I had to replace both and that sorted it.

My mate has the same issue (not sure about post lift effect) on 2011 I think. He also read that this could be the problem.

Cheers.

Giggs

Edited by giggs

I asked advice from the chap who does my wheel alignment a few months back and they gave the underside a quick check. He came back with either Wheel balancing or Transmission issues, so CV joints could be a possible cause. 

I guess it needs a trip to the garage :o

• 2 weeks later...

I also must do a wheel alignment so will ask for a quick underside check. My bet is on inner CV joint.

Cheers

After having new springs front and rear fitted, I had steering vibration at around 70mph, the car didn't feel as stable on the motorway.

A 4 wheel geometry check found that both front and react toe were out. After adjustment both problems were solved.

Mark