Well.... I WOULD have bought a Superb !

:-) Phoned a dealer up today and told him if he would give me 9k ( I would have gone to 8.5 ) for my ( totally mint not a mark on it anywhere ) 2010 Octavia Scout 1.8Tsi with 30120 miles and full Skoda history I would give him a deposit on the phone for a 18999 Superb Elegance Estate.

Scout also has nice extras :

Curtain Airbags

Maxidot

Unused spare

Heated Seats

Xenons

LED DRL's

False boot floor

Sorry £6.5k maybe £7k if i'm lucky....

Definitely looks like i'm keeping it for the duration then....

Had a look at the excellent trade in price on RAC and that said just over £8k. The car has 11 months tax and was serviced last month at the local Skoda dealer but they weren't interested.... Was I expecting too much ?

Yes I know they have overheads and they need to 'prep' cars but they could have just put mine in the showroom. I only snowfoamed and clayed it a few days ago.... Even the wheels are perfect and for a Scout that's pretty rare :-D

I know it's more hassle but you need to sell it privately to achieve it's maximum value.

There just isn't the demand for petrol Scouts when compared to the diesel but if the car is as clean as you say it will still sell for good money.

Take lots of pictures and stick it on eBay then go get that Superb without the hassle of a part exchange.

There are currently two 2010 petrol Scout's on Autotrader, one with 50,000 miles and another with 70,000 miles, both up with dealers for £8K.

Given your lower mileage and attractive spec I'd say your £8.5K is reasonable for a private sale...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/skoda/octavia/postcode/ab510ye/radius/1500/keywords/SCOUT/sort/default/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/fuel-type/petrol

Edited by silver1011

I know , I know.... It's just too much hassle though.... We just don't have the space while the Scout sells. I would have the Mrs carping on about what if it doesn't sell.... I would just end up with a massive headache.....

Best option here is for me to just stop torturing myself by looking at cars and then when the Scout is knackered and worth SFA in another 4-5 years see how the Mrs like the taste of 25-30k for a new one ....

Or even better just get a  f###### divorce and buy an Aventador it would probably work out cheaper in the long run ....

• Like 2

:-) Phoned a dealer up today and told him if he would give me 9k ( I would have gone to 8.5 ) for my ( totally mint not a mark on it anywhere ) 2010 Octavia Scout 1.8Tsi with 30120 miles and full Skoda history I would give him a deposit on the phone for a 18999 Superb Elegance Estate.

Curtain Airbags

Maxidot

Unused spare

Heated Seats

Xenons

LED DRL's

False boot floor

Had a look at the excellent trade in price on RAC and that said just over £8k. The car has 11 months tax and was serviced last month at the local Skoda dealer but they weren't interested.... Was I expecting too much ?

Yes I know they have overheads and they need to 'prep' cars but they could have just put mine in the showroom. I only snowfoamed and clayed it a few days ago.... Even the wheels are perfect and for a Scout that's pretty rare :-D

11 months tax is irrelevant.  Under the new rules as soon as you sell the car, even to a dealer, the tax is cancelled and you receive an automatic refund of the tax for all outstanding complete months.  The car is then registered as untaxed until the new owner taxes it.  The dealer can, of course, drive it on trade plates..

Curtain Airbags

Maxidot

Unused spare

Heated Seats

Xenons

LED DRL's

False boot floor

Maybe try WBAC etc?

Philbes interesting didn't know that. Cheers.

There was an article in the paper the other day saying that fines for this mistake have gone through the roof because people think the old system is still in place. They're very much not taking ignorance as an excuse.

Dealers rely on the fact people find it too much hassle to sell their current car privately and usually they're right. Cars can hang around for months before they sell. But i would still rather do that than get ripped off by car dealers. And the main dealers are the worst of the lot. I went to test drive a mk2 vrs tdi a few years ago for sale at my main Skoda dealer. Lovely clean car 50k on the clock. The guy told me they'd gave the previous owner £5,200 trade in. They had it for sale for £7,500. I offered 7k they wouldn't move an inch. I asked about changing the cambelt as part of the deal but the price wasn't moving. Big fancy showrooms need paying for after all!!

Try gumtree and preloved they cost you nothing , i have just sold my poverty spec 06 vrs tdi with 87000miles , it sold on the 2nd day the ads were on

I work at a dealer and you would be surprised how much prep work goes into a car after trade in. Just because they have only given a customer X amount does not mean that is what it stands them. I see cars every day get 100's and 1000's spent on them. You cant expect a dealer to give you top whack for a car and not do any work to it. I see even the cleanest of cars still getting money spent on them because the customer cannot see what a workshop technician can. The dealer I work at services every car upon delivery to a customer regardless of when it was last done. Even the valeter washing it on the forecourt 10 times a day costs the dealer.

• Like 1

I work at a dealer and you would be surprised how much prep work goes into a car after trade in. Just because they have only given a customer X amount does not mean that is what it stands them. I see cars every day get 100's and 1000's spent on them. You cant expect a dealer to give you top whack for a car and not do any work to it. I see even the cleanest of cars still getting money spent on them because the customer cannot see what a workshop technician can. The dealer I work at services every car upon delivery to a customer regardless of when it was last done. Even the valeter washing it on the forecourt 10 times a day costs the dealer.

OK...

Well its true.

Also, a 10 plate will be border line on what a dealer will have on the forecourt. Its possible they dont want a car that old hence not giving a good price.

The car i was referring to was worth more than £5,200 at that time so he underpaid the previous owner there. And the price they were asking was way over book even for main dealers so trying to overcharge there. And quite how a service and a cheapo valet adds up to £2,300 i have no idea.

The car i was referring to was worth more than £5,200 at that time so he underpaid the previous owner there. And the price they were asking was way over book even for main dealers so trying to overcharge there. And quite how a service and a cheapo valet adds up to £2,300 i have no idea.

Ever priced up a shiny main dealer complete with staff, IT systems, security, sofas and coffee machines?

• Like 1

Why is anyone surprised that a dealer pays less for a car then sells it for more? It would be a pretty poor business model for a dealer to pay retail price for a car.

Yes dealer prices are higher but you get a warranty and back up if anything goes wrong, also I'd expect everything to be right on the car unlike a private sale.

• Like 1

My dad died earlier this year, this left my mum an Audi A6 to get rid of. We knew it was worth around £7.5 - 8k for a private sale. Also knew there would be hassle involved with advertising it and dealing with potential buyers/Messers.

A local (Skoda) dealer offered 6.5k for a hassle free deal, he even gave me a lift home after dropping it off. They tidied it up and put it on their forecourt for £9k, exactly as we expected.

Edited by phil5556

I think some of you are missing the point a little. I was trading my car in. The book price for my car in excellent condition is just over 8k. I was offered 6.5 maybe 7k.

Dear Sir, the book  valuation for trading your car in, in excellent condition  is just over 8k. Please however deduct the mandatory £1600 to subsidise the Dealers shiny new showroom, valeting staff oh and of course the warranty that will benefit the person who buys the car.  :giggle:

Edited by Nick_H
  • Like 1

I think some of you are missing the point a little. I was trading my car in. The book price for my car in excellent condition is just over 8k. I was offered 6.5 maybe 7k.

Dear Sir, the book  valuation for trading your car in, in excellent condition  is just over 8k. Please however deduct the mandatory £1600 to subsidise the Dealers shiny new showroom, valeting staff oh and of course the warranty that will benefit the person who buys the car.  :giggle:

Trade in prices certainly seem to cause much comment and discussion!!

The value of any car, be it trade, retail or private sale ultimately relates to demand.  I've owned a 1.8 TSi 4x4 estate from new and in many ways it was perhaps the best Skoda I've ever owned. The petrol is however very much a niche product and by far the vast majority are diesel.

Unfortunately the earlier engines long-term reliability is increasingly suspect (oil consumption / timing chain issues) and this is becoming increasingly widely known. See sticky at the top of this forum - TSi engine failures. A work colleagues 2010 1.8 TSi suffered complete engine failure and was effectively traded in as "scrap".

My local main dealer has a 2010 1.8 TSi L&K Combi up at £10999, but the fact they need to warrant it for at least 1 year means they probably have a large safety margin built in.

Book prices are also merely a guide and it is ultimately the judgement of the dealers sales manager which will decide value, by making adjustments to value based on demand / model popularity etc.

Nevertheless your car sounds very nice and is a very good spec - good luck with the sale. 

Ever priced up a shiny main dealer complete with staff, IT systems, security, sofas and coffee machines?

I havnt but don't think it'll be cheap. Still, while people carry on believing you get superior service and continue to buy cars off them maximum profit margins will happen. I wouldn't use my main dealer if it was the last garage on the earth!!

My dad died earlier this year, this left my mum an Audi A6 to get rid of. We knew it was worth around £7.5 - 8k for a private sale. Also knew there would be hassle involved with advertising it and dealing with potential buyers/Messers.

A local (Skoda) dealer offered 6.5k for a hassle free deal, he even gave me a lift home after dropping it off. They tidied it up and put it on their forecourt for £9k, exactly as we expected.

But that there is my problem with them. I havnt got any issues dealers making money some people are taking it the wrong way. But £2,500 profit on one car is just pure greed. Even accounting for a clean up, maybe a service still makes a couple of grand. No not for me!!

• Like 1

Well just spent 5 hours cleaning her and she now looks factory fresh.... Why the hell did I even consider selling !!!! :-D