Dripping from under car

Hi

I seem to have sprung a leak!

There is something dripping from under my car.

its coming from a hole. It's stopped now but there was a little puddle in the supermarket car park where I parked.

Pictures of hole.20150704_142544_zpsaeyxknad_edit_1436016

20150704_142536_zps1e64vdbv.jpg

Is this a normal route for water to take?

Or is something leaking?

coolant level is fine and brake fluid level is fine

Thanks

Edited by Adam_

Air conditioning condensation would be a normal explanation

Mmm never use my air con but not sure if secret button is turned on.

Must check.

......Secret button was off.

Edited by Adam_

You never use it?

May I ask why?

Dunno. Most of the time the windows are down when it's warm.

Never got into using AC.

Something I heard about losing power with air con on also puts me off using it.

Ye stupid I know.

AC evaporator drain isn't via a hole in the floorpan, it's near to where the heater matrix pipes go through the firewall, behind the sound insulation.  For stuff to be coming out there, I'd say you have a leaking door carrier somewhere, and it has rained heavily in your area recently?

AC evaporator drain isn't via a hole in the floorpan, it's near to where the heater matrix pipes go through the firewall, behind the sound insulation. For stuff to be coming out there, I'd say you have a leaking door carrier somewhere, and it has rained heavily in your area recently?

Couple of thunder storms over the last 2 nights.

All carpets are bone dry inside.

Edited by Adam_

The water sneakily leaks straight under the carpets, and only becomes apparent if the car gets 'full' enough. Look for little puddles on the rubbers at the bottom of the doorways, that's the dead giveaway of leaking carriers. Most Fabias will have them if never been sealed effectively post-manufacture.

The water sneakily leaks straight under the carpets, and only becomes apparent if the car gets 'full' enough. Look for little puddles on the rubbers at the bottom of the doorways, that's the dead giveaway of leaking carriers. Most Fabias will have them if never been sealed effectively post-manufacture.

Will check again underneath the carpets. Rears have been done by myself last summer.

A good reply...check under the carpets

Just to add..if you don't use the air on..it will fail and cost you to replace

It makes very little difference to fuel economy either

So my advice would be to leave it on 24/7.. Even in winter

A good reply...check under the carpets

Just to add..if you don't use the air on..it will fail and cost you to replace

It makes very little difference to fuel economy either

So my advice would be to leave it on 24/7.. Even in winter

Agreed.

• Like 1

Leaks/Spills from the coolant bottle can end up down there, the liquid follows the path of the chassis leg and then the fuel pipes. Check the chassis leg at the back under the brake servo/fuel pipe connections and see if its wet.

If you don't use the AC take it out, then it can't fail :P

• Like 1

You should at least run the air con cold once a week as the coolant is also the lubricant and keeps the seals in good shape, or so I've read.

And also run it hot occasionally to kill any bacteria that might grow in the system.

Has everyone forgotten that the AC system in these cars when "off" is actually on a very low duty cycle, so enough refrigerant and its oil will be passing through the system - so the system should survive okay.

It is using the AC and leaving the evaporator wet that causes the growth of nasties, best when using it to switch"off" the chiller function and demand LOW temperature as that will pass incoming warm air through the plate and so heat it up and dry it off for the final couple of miles of a journey.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1

Changed my mind on this just now.  After a heavy rain shower I've just noticed that both Fabia and Polo have water dripping out of that same spot, and I'm 99.9% sure neither car has a door-carrier leak problem (and neither has had aircon on today).  I've never taken the plastic cover off the scuttle area of either car, but I remember being surprised a while back that on the Fabia, there seems to be a drain out of the scuttle just behind the ECU, which drips down onto a large bundle of loom wires (eek!) just where the chassis leg meets the firewall.  I had expected it all to drain outwards, into the wheel-arch, but I guess the shape of the scuttle means that can't work for all of it.

I reckon there's a driver's-side rain-water drain path from the scuttle tray down into that box section?  The mirror-image of the one near the ECU? And that's why it has a hole at that lowest point, where the OP, and now me have seen drippage.

• Like 1

I'm not in any way disputing the above posting, but I seem to remember that water drains down and out from behind the firewall soundproofing in an almost accidental way, ie no pipe routing it down below the lower edge of the soundproofing (that is on Polo) - I have not looked at that hole on Polo yet, it is sleeping in the garage so no rain has reached it this weekend - some of the rain we have been having is a bit severe for Summer, maybe what you might expect in Northern Italy after the temperatures have reached their peak.

Yeah it pees out all over the place, I've just discovered, all around the brake servo area.  But I've found a hole that is draining water out of the almost horizontal bit just under the master cylinder, and I'm almost sure that leads into the section where the OP & I have seen it dripping out.

Bit hard to spot without bright lighting, and even harder to photograph well, but you can just about make it out in this one, behind the rubber grommet, just next to the bit of stick, with a hoofing great red arrow pointing at it. I could see it bubbling as water dripped through, after I poured a pint straight into the area near the wiper motor.

20150705_204009.jpg