Caught Out Fitting ss fmic

Ok so i thought i was well prepared, read a few guides etc ...

All going well until ...

I need 4x longer screws for the brackets, the standards are not long enough with bracket and 1cm deep rubber washer.

So what do you guys use?

I dont have time to wait for a delivery for 4 screws, what are my options? I need to get this fitted tomorrow .. booked the day off in case i didn't sort it today :P

Not sure, I've always fitted the bolts they are supplied.

They are a pretty standard size though, even the likes of b&q will have them on the shelf.

I didnt get any supplied!! i got nice rubber washers etc but no bolts :(

There m6 22mm right?

This is what im fitting http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261762609631?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Never fitted that kit personally so don't know the sizes. I just know when trial fitting I grabbed two standard 10mm I think they were from stock and the thread was the same.

I dont understand the limiting factor isn't the bracket, but the existing screw holes where it fixes into the side of the radiator.

No bolts supplied?  Who is the kit from? :(

The links is above

Was cheap .. so cant  really complain :p

Just in a pickle, really as i need to buy bolts and fit it tomorrow :( so under pressure to resolve this ..

I honestly don't see the problem.

Can you not go to almost any shop around you?

They are a standard bolt, nothing tricky or fancy, no need to drill out would possible make the situation worse.

I have a pile of the right sizes from a Airtec intercooler if you need the left and right side.

I honestly don't see the problem.

Can you not go to almost any shop around you?

They are a standard bolt, nothing tricky or fancy, no need to drill out would possible make the situation worse.

I have a pile of the right sizes from a Airtec intercooler if you need the left and right side.

Ok so i got the bolts ... m6 25mm from scewfix .. so panic over.

Now as you say "standard" i think not as all fmic are different thickness. These 25mm where just about ok, but could have done with another 10mm.

Others say 20mm, but on my intercooler no chance, due to the length of it and it hitting the radiator pillars near the inlet, i had to space it out at least 15 -20mm

Ok so i got the bolts ... m6 25mm from scewfix .. so panic over.

Now as you say "standard" i think not as all fmic are different thickness. These 25mm where just about ok, but could have done with another 10mm.

Others say 20mm, but on my intercooler no chance, due to the length of it and it hitting the radiator pillars near the inlet, i had to space it out at least 15 -20mm

?? standard as in there's nothing special/fancy about the bolts themselves so it was as simple as buying the correct diameter/pitch/length bolt.

unless I'm missing something the core might be thicker than standard but the overall width of the intercooler is the same as the standard SS intercooler, so the bolts are the same for both?

• Like 1