Skoda Falicia 1.3 inject no spark from coil

Hello just wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on what to do next. I went to help a friend who had broke down in his 1995 Falicia 1.3.The first thing I did was whip the dizzy cap off and ended up replacing both the cap and rotor arm due to it being in pieces. Now there's no spark and nothing coming from coil to the dizzy cap. There's plenty of fuel on the plugs and the pump is working fine and its turning over fine. Just to add the coil is brand spanking new and was only replaced a couple of weeks ago. Any help is appreciated cheers Rich

From your description (1995, coil, distributor) I guess you're talking about a Skoda Felicia 1.3 BMM (Bosch Mono-Motronic) meaning it has a single injector inside what looks like a carburetor. That should be clear from the start.

How about telling us what happened between 'the car ran fine' and 'the dizzy cap and rotor arm are in pieces' ? The history of failure is always overlooked although offers major clues. The more details you share, the more quick and accurate the solution will be.

Without any information my only advice would be to check for ground and power at ignition amplifier./ transformer that feeds the coil. Check fuse 20. Look for corrosion in connectors and ground.

Edited by RicardoM

I believe it has a magna metelli(s.p) system not a bosch due to the coil being mounted on the front left wing. He was just driving and it cut out. He was complaining of it being in and out of the garage due to damp problems and it not starting but I think they were barking up the wrong tree.

Magnetti Morelli I think you mean.

Having said that, I'm not aware of any of those (Or Bosch Motronic) for monopoint injection that use distributors rather than "lost spark" on double-ended coils.

Ricardo, I honestly think the first thing to do here is determine exactly what EMS and ignition system this car is running. I wouldn't expect to find a distributor on any 1995 first registration.

Magnetti Morelli I think you mean.

Having said that, I'm not aware of any of those (Or Bosch Motronic) for monopoint injection that use distributors rather than "lost spark" on double-ended coils. I wouldn't expect to find a distributor on any 1995 first registration.

Just for the spelling sake, it is Magneti-Marelli.

Ken, you keep making wrong assumptions about Skoda Felicia, although you mentioned you have never owned one. There were 3 models that had a distributor from the first to the last manufactured. They are: Felicia 1.3 BMM (or SPI how you call it), Felicia 1.3 on carburetor, and Felicia 1.6.

Ricardo, I honestly think the first thing to do here is determine exactly what EMS and ignition system this car is running.

Isn't that exactly what I tried to establish from the beginning? People have a big problem filling the "Skoda model" field at registration and because of that we have to guess indirectly. Even so I could establish correctly the model from pieces of information. I know a lot of things about Felicia (like many other forum members) mostly from getting dirty around those little cars, not from reading the Haynes comic book.

richous05,

I still can't understand how a dizzy cap and rotor arm could get into pieces by themselves...

Yeah, an ignition module is sensitive to moisture, but that could be easily determined by any mechanic by spraying water on it and look for arcing or engine stall. Furthermore, cracks should be visible with a magnifying glass. After all, moisture should have a path to seep inside.

Edited by RicardoM