Engine oil level low error, 7500 miles - top up oil

The manual states that oil depletion is to be expected, especially with a new car, however I was still surprised when the engine oil level low error showed up today, after 12000 km = 7500 miles.

The former cars I have owned could drive 20.000 km without oil depletion (maybe more - never got any warnings, but of course oil was changed at 20k km service.)..

Is this really to be expected with the Octavia?

Anyone else topped up engine oil this early?

I think it sounds quite early but the dealer will probably say "within VAG tolerances" for oil consumption.

My TDI managed 30,000km and the oil warning message came just before the service.

In other threads it seems the majority don't need to top-up between services.

It maybe worth asking the dealer to top it up & check that theres not a small leak somewhere.

Do you do a lot of long distance driving?

Mine came on at 8500kms. Oil change warning then check oil warning. It was low but dealer sorted it out. I was surprised though.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

The manual states that oil depletion is to be expected, especially with a new car, however I was still surprised when the engine oil level low error showed up today, after 12000 km = 7500 miles.

Why are you surprised when the manual states it can be high and yours is knowhere near what is considered normal:

Check the oil at regular intervals, e.g. when filling up. Oil consumption is dependent

to a considerable extent on the load and speed of the engine. Oil consumption

could be as high as 0.5 litres/1000 km depending on your style of driving.

It is quite normal that a new engine has a higher oil consumption at first, and reaches

its lowest level only after a certain running in time. The oil consumption of a

new vehicle can therefore only be correctly assessed after driving about 5000 km.

Why are you surprised when the manual states it can be high and yours is knowhere near what is considered normal:

A lot of Audi customers were told there's were within acceptable tolerance.....but they had more serious problems.

I know the article mention 0.5litre/1000km....but some owners used a lot more and were told it was "acceptable"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1Q2rXBpVsXVQ12hVFmxMBjP/audis-oil-guzzling-issues