'Superb' Fuel economy

We recently made a trip to Northern Ireland with our Superb and drove from Milton Keynes to Carlisle on the Thursday and then from there to the ferry at Cairnryan on the Friday morning.  Once across the Irish Sea we drove from Larne to the north coast.

Having filled the car before we left, by the time we finished driving we still had half a tank of diesel left.  This is the best we have had from any car.  We also had half a tank left on the return journey.

Cannot fault the car on economy.

We recently made a trip to Northern Ireland with our Superb and drove from Milton Keynes to Carlisle on the Thursday and then from there to the ferry at Cairnryan on the Friday morning.  Once across the Irish Sea we drove from Larne to the north coast.

Having filled the car before we left, by the time we finished driving we still had half a tank of diesel left.  This is the best we have had from any car.  We also had half a tank left on the return journey.

Cannot fault the car on economy.

Sounds pretty good - how many miles as that?

About 450 miles to 53 litre fill up so around 38mpg for a 170PS 4x4 manual on a mainly 12mile each way commute. Lying computer says 44.

Clocked mine from Glouchester to Sheffield last weekend - topped up at each end - and calculated out at 71mpg!!! Well impressed, and computer read 70.3mpg, so not far off!! :rock::rofl:

Manual 170bhp Executive saloon/hatch.

Been trying to reach the mythical Extra Urban (60mpg) figure but never quite got there.

Tend to average 49mpg.

Highest mpg I've had is 59mpg.

Longest tank full was 700 miles.

All figures on UK gallons, based on mileage per tank, and brim to brim fills.

Edited by WesBrooks

I can get very close to 40 mpg from my Superb, but since I've only covered 4K miles in the last year I'm not worried about diesels being cheaper to run than petrols.

Different drive when compared to a diesel, very wide torque band & some real pep as the revs start to climb.

We rented a new 1.6 TDi Octy in Spain last month at that thad recorded 55 mpg over the 3300 km's that the car had covered from new when we returned it,

& that's cheap motoring at Spanish diesel prices, but it wasn't fun to drive. (5-speed manual, LH drive = hard work when compared to our DSG petrols) 

All in all, we like our Superb, the economy is better than expected, &i t's a nice drive, very suitable for a pair of O.A.P's.

DC 

OK,

Pleasantly suprised by the economy of my recently acquired 1.4tsi Superb :-

Journey from Luxembourg back to Blighty - 47mpg.

After getting home - next fill up 45.3l 465 miles , approx 46.5 mpg (on board computer similar!) - mixed commuter driving

Thats including a bit of trying out performance - which is also better than expected

Well chuffed

John..

Edited by bigjohn

My best consumption was 49.6 mpg last summer when I traveled to Hungary. 4 people + packed full of luggage.But I always put Shell V Power Diesel in the tank. By the way, a week ago I took my partner to Luton Airport from Oxford and the on-board computer showed 50.9 mpg,  Not a bad performance.

OK,

Pleasantly suprised by the economy of my recently acquired 1.4tsi Superb :-

Journey from Luxembourg back to Blighty - 47mpg.

After getting home - next fill up 45.3l 465 miles , approx 46.5 mpg (on board computer similar!) - mixed commuter driving

Thats including a bit of trying out performance - which is also better than expected

Well chuffed

John..

It's lighter on the wallet too if you fill up in Luxembourg. We stayed there on our way to Hungary in June and filled up with diesel, which was €1.09 per litre! For our whole trip, the MFD showed 57.2 mpg, though I've never tested its accuracy.

Indeed,

It's one of the reasons we usually stop in Luxembourg. The service stations are usually nicer than the ones on Belgium and you don't have to remember to keep coins to use the loo!

• 3 weeks later...

Ive just done a family holiday to the isle of white the car was 4 people up & full boot, i filled up the day before & did some running round & then the trip from birmingham & weeks running around on holiday doing days out with the aircon most days & then the return journey and I've still got approx 60 miles left in the tank.

Ive just done a family holiday to the isle of white the car was 4 people up & full boot, i filled up the day before & did some running round & then the trip from birmingham & weeks running around on holiday doing days out with the aircon most days & then the return journey and I've still got approx 60 miles left in the tank.

yes, but what figures? miles? Ltrs to brim it?...

my round town taxi work has dropped the mpg to 53

You probably need the AC on a lotof the time.

I find it much heavier on the consumption than I thought.

Auto seems to knock my MPG by about 4.