'Superb' Fuel economy

My Greenline II Hatch (manual gearbox) has averaged just over 55 mpg over the last 2,500 miles.

Yesterday - Chesterfield to Market Harborough, around 65 - 70 miles - for the first time achieved over 70mpg (70.4) helped by loads of 50mph stretches on the M1 

I take thats on the MDF, not actual brim-brim?

I cannot believe how close my last two brim to brims have been!

60.1 MPG  and  59.9 MPG.

I wasn't very good at school but I think that's an average of 60 MPG over the last four weeks. :clap:

Computer less error than previously, but still flattering me by at least 5%.

Very little town driving, but no long runs either. Typically 15 miles to work and back, plus other regular  25 mile trips.

Very good weather for high MPG. Dry roads, light winds and no heat or AC needed.

I hardly need to do the sums, after 1000 kms if she is just above the red on the fuel gauge then it will be over 60 mpg.

If its just on the red and the light comes on then it will be about 58MPG :D

My real average since having the car from June 2014 is shown in my sig below.....

Filled mine up yesterday evening. Managed 565 miles exactly this tank with 25 miles range still showing and put 54.5 litres in.... So a real world range of around 50 or so miles left.

Living in Sheffield i'm never going to get massive figures with all the hills but this tankful included four trips through the M1 50mph roadworks between jcn35 and jcn28 hence the better range this time.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just done 2200 miles of very mixed (miles in 1st gear in road works all over the place) tour of UK and have returned 55.6 mpg corrected from stated 57.4 mpg on maxi dot. Very pleased with that overall. Car ran faultlessly all the way carrying the usual returns to France. 140 CR well pleased.

Where do you get the true miles covered to work out all these 'true' brim to brim refuel MPG figures.

If you are using the mileage on the car speedo please remember that the mileage will not be accurate - the speedo actually over estimates the speed if you compare it to a sat nav readout so the mileage it records is also an overread!!

Which would make all the figures quoted be higher than the actual true mpg of the vehicle............

Edited by kaydee
  • Like 1

Where do you get the true miles covered to work out all these 'true' brim to brim refuel MPG figures.

If you are using the mileage on the car speedo please remember that the mileage will not be accurate - the speedo actually over estimates the speed if you compare it to a sat nav readout so the mileage it records is also an overread!!

Which would make all the figures quoted be higher than the actual true mpg of the vehicle............

The speedo may be out but odometers are usually directly driven (or were) by cable and cogs, speedos were not and read over

Ive checked mine against the taximeter (very accurate) 

My previous two Skodas, (both 1.9TDI Octavias, first Ambience spec, 2nd Elegance spec), both seemed to get more economical (mpg wise) once they got to three years old.

Has anyone noticed any similar effect with Superbs?

My 63 reg Superb is currently recording 63mpg overall on the computer, (yes, I know that may not be all that accurate, but I can't be arsed to go to the bother of working it out more accurately).

Odd trips it's recording up to 74mpg.

I'm impressed by all that since it's a large car. 

I think back to my VW 1600TA days when 33mpg was all I could get, no matter how economically I drove.  Prior to that it was an Austin 1100 doing similar mpg.

15+ years ago my Maestro and Montego TD's got 55mpg no bother

My Datsun 100A did 50mpg -

My really old Zodiac did 15mpg, when you were being filled up (yes they did that back then!) you had to make sure the engine was off to stop gaining on them :devil: - This car had even more legroom than the Superb

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

My Datsun 100A did 50mpg -

My really old Zodiac did 15mpg, when you were being filled up (yes they did that back then!) you had to make sure the engine was off to stop gaining on them :devil: - This car had even more legroom than the Superb

Back in the day you could fill up a Mk4 Zodiac for £5, & yes it was a very roomy car.

The driving position was odd, you sat about 1/2-way along the car, looking at a very long bonnet.

The V6 looked lost in there.

Happy days............ DC

15+ years ago my Maestro and Montego TD's got 55mpg no bother

Ah, yes, but I am talking about my Austin 1100 in 1971, 44 years ago, and my VW1600TA was 1978, 37 years ago.  I had a Montego TD estate in 1991 that did well over 50mpg.

My superb is a 09 plate 170 4x4 manual and the way I drive gets 38-42mpg in town, out usually goes 48-52mpg. Drove to Germany and managed to get 59 out of it with cruise control on a 75mph average :)

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

My superb is a 09 plate 170 4x4 manual and the way I drive gets 38-42mpg in town, out usually goes 48-52mpg. Drove to Germany and managed to get 59 out of it with cruise control on a 75mph average :)

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Just back from my European tour covering about 2500 miles through Germany, Austria , France etc... Average tank to tank 48.5mpg - best was through Austria 53mpg and the worst was the final leg through Germany and Belgium 45mpg although the car was full of fine Mosel wine by then and some of the speeds were somewhat higher!

Petrol prices varied a lot - cheapest was Luxembourg and Austria. My only real concern has been the 'effective' tank size only about 51 litres with the fuel gauge needle near bottom of the red -  probably had loads left but........ I'm sure I used to put a lot more in my Superb I

Just converted my headlights back ready for the winter - thank goodness for my Workzone inspection camera the lever is really small on the facelift model and very difficult to get at

My previous two Skodas, (both 1.9TDI Octavias, first Ambience spec, 2nd Elegance spec), both seemed to get more economical (mpg wise) once they got to three years old.

Has anyone noticed any similar effect with Superbs?

My 63 reg Superb is currently recording 63mpg overall on the computer, (yes, I know that may not be all that accurate, but I can't be arsed to go to the bother of working it out more accurately).

Odd trips it's recording up to 74mpg.

I'm impressed by all that since it's a large car. 

I think back to my VW 1600TA days when 33mpg was all I could get, no matter how economically I drove.  Prior to that it was an Austin 1100 doing similar mpg.

No one has addressed my original query about mpg figures getting better when the engine gets to 3 years old, (about 36,000 miles), so i gather no one has noticed this with a Superb?

No one has addressed my original query about mpg figures getting better when the engine gets to 3 years old, (about 36,000 miles), so i gather no one has noticed this with a Superb?

When doing my 32 mile each way commute:-

2001 Skoda Octavia 1.4 16v - Did about 42mpg when brand new improving to 45mpg after 10k miles - Fast forward to 2014/15 with 120k miles - on the same run  its dropped back to about 40mpg although I only tend to use it in wintry weather as it's very stable in snow and ice

2003 Skoda Superb I 1.9pd bought 18months old at 23k miles - Did about 50mpg +/- 2 from the day I got it until a couple of months ago at just short of 170k miles

• 2 months later...

Anyone notice their MPG is taking a bit of a hit in this weather?

I religiously fill brim to brim and calculate my MPG rather than relying on the Maxidot which is always over optimistic (Normally between 6 and 12%).

Real MPG normally between 57 and 62.

However lately has been between 50 and 54. Mostly I would say due to very wet roads, you can actually feel the extra drag at times.

Also the strong winds don't usually help. Plus of course the extra loading on the electrics and the longer warm up times.

Actually, lately with lower MPG the MPG shown on the maxidot has become quite accurate. :D