Michelin Cross Climate tyres

awfabia

Just to throw a comparison into the debate, has anybody tried Nokian Weatherproof all season tyres. I have done a bit of research and these compare very well the Michelin,s and are slightly cheaper. Plus they are available in the Yeti tyre size for 17,s.

Tony

Just to throw a comparison into the debate, has anybody tried Nokian Weatherproof all season tyres. I have done a bit of research and these compare very well the Michelin,s and are slightly cheaper. Plus they are available in the Yeti tyre size for 17,s.

Tony

gallery_80615_568_180118.jpg

Fitted at the end of August and 1500 miles done. No complaints so far, and they are very good in the wet.

I've only seen one review ( http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2015-AutoBild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm ) which directly compared the two tyres, which put the CC well ahead. The earlier Auto Express review ( http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2015-Auto-Express-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm ) rated the Nokian top, beating both the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen 2 and the Pirelli Cinturato Allseason (which had both come higher in the Auto Bild test than the Weatherproof).

• Like 1

Just fitted Nokian Weatherproof tyres this week.  Too early to tell what they will be like (seem much quieter) but the reviews convinced me and I've spent enough time in Finland to know that they make good tyres.  They are replacing Dunlop SP Sport which covered 37,555 miles (mostly motorway in case you all think I am the new Captain Slow).  I can't complain about the wear rate!

I went for 'all season' after hearing news reports that we are in for a cold/harsh winter.  Now I have them we are virtually guaranteed a mild one!

Will let you know what the Nokians are like.

• Like 1

My initial thoughts, but the report linked to in muddyboots' reply seems to imply otherwise.

And they are cheaper than my Kumho's!!

Ouch!

Michelin cheaper than Kumho!

Depends where they're made I guess.

?........

I went for 'all season' after hearing news reports that we are in for a cold/harsh winter.  Now I have them we are virtually guaranteed a mild one!

Will let you know what the Nokians are like.

To balance things out we're set for a long hot spring AND summer......could do with some of your rain.

Back OT

Back in Finland chains aren't ever used?

In Finland they have a start date for studded and winter tyres.  Its compulsory from 1st December to 28th February, although winter tyres without studs can now be used throughout the year.  Interestingly the minimum tread must be 3mm.  Studded winter tyres can be used from 1st November to 31 March (to get into the real detail - the Monday following Easter Monday if this is later than the end of March).  The regulations can be extended if the weather remains bad.

When I said in an earlier post I'd covered 37,555 miles on a set of Dunlop SP Sports, I meant 47,555!

When I said in an earlier post I'd covered 37,555 miles on a set of Dunlop SP Sports, I meant 47,555!

You must have had a lot of tarmac lubrication I'm thinking .

Still here and thinking of replacing my Nokian eNtyres 215/60 R16 99Vs with Michelin CCs or Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2 (if I can find them locally).

Not much snow here since 2010 so wet and dry performance probably more important. Any comments?

Edited by finebone

I have had  the Goodyears on my last and current Yeti cant fault them for grip wet dry or snow, and the are wearing well, my last Yeti had 25k on it when it went and the fronts where still 1.6mm above the snow bars, the rears 2.7 above the snow bars.  the tyres had never been moved  front to rear. 

Edited by wakev

Read one or two reviews which suggest your better off with the Goodyear the further north you are, as it works better in cooler conditions, whereas the Michelin is more cabable in hot summers.

Myself I'm going for the Michelin, partly down to availability but also it will probably be more suitable for possible trips into central Europe in the summer, which I hope to do again next year.

TP

Just ordered four cross climates for the octy 4x4... Just shy of £250 for 205 55 R16 94v. Will get them fitted locally hopefully later this week.

• Like 1

Times certainly have changed

I can remember when Goodyear were considered cross ply rubbish in comparison to superior Michelin X radials.

Those 'new-fangled' radial Michelin X's transformed my Triumph Herald 12/40.  It used to eat cross-plys.  (Our ages showing here :think: ?)

• Like 1

Those 'new-fangled' radial Michelin X's transformed my Triumph Herald 12/40.  It used to eat cross-plys.  (Our ages showing here :think: ?)

Ah!

Flushed you out......the only advantage of time ....memories ))))

As the owner of a Ford Anglia or two I dreamed of owning a Triumph Herald - you had that lovely folding forward bonnet so you when you had to work in the engine compartment (about every other weekend from recollection) you could do so in relative comfort and ease. Ah, happy day, sitting in the drizzle clutching your socket set.... (Have to be very careful here, this thread could easily transition from "Michelin Cross Climate Tyres" to a parody of Monty P's "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch).

• Like 1

... in relative comfort and ease....

Continuing briefly OT (and is this tendency to wander OT a particular characteristic of the Yeti forum and, if so, why :notme: ?) 

Yes - you could sit on a comfortable front wheel and reach almost everything routine! 

Here's our Yeti on 215 65 R16 (Michelin CrossClimate):

DSC_0126.JPG

DSC_0124.JPG

(Sorry about the quality...)

Edited by Hirundo
  • Like 3

Just ordered four cross climates for the octy 4x4... Just shy of £250 for 205 55 R16 94v. Will get them fitted locally hopefully later this week.

Can I be so rude and ask you who supplied them, as I am getting quotes for cross climates, mine are 17'' on a 140.

Regards

Chilley

Edited by CHILLEY

Can I be so rude and ask you who supplied them, as I am getting quotes for cross climates, mine are 17'' on a 140.

Regards

Chilley

Finished up ordering from pneus online but camskill and mytyres weren't far off on price.

• Like 1