Vibrating xenon headlight while stationary

Hello all,

Recently I've noticed that my xenon headlights are vibrating while engine is turned on and stationary. The whole headlight is vibrating, not only the magnifier glass from inside the headlight. Any solutions to this issue? It's quite annoying..   :(

Edited by emipop2005

Are any of the straps on top of the light broken?

I have a wobble on one side, that side also has a broken strap where it had a bump before I got the car.

So, the issue was that one of the bolts is missing. Each headlight has 4 bolts and one of them was missing from the right headlight. 

Might be worth checking if there's a reason why it was missing.  If you've got a soft, or stripped thread any new bolt might also go AWOL.

Gaz

was it one of the bolts on the top for the straps?

Nope. It was the bolt from the back of the headlight. There are two on the top. One on the side with the front grill and one in the back. 

Now I have a strange issue with the left headlight (driver's side in UK). Sometimes, it autolevels, sometimes it doesn't.. Most of the time it doesn't and it's pretty annoying at night because the light is too low for that headlight Any idea what can be the issue? 

Don't know how true it is, but I was told that if a headlight is manually adjusted on the screw, without VCDS being used, there's a possibility of the adjuster coming off the end of the adjustment thread.  I guess this isn't happening in your case as it's intermittent.

Think I'd start looking for loose or corroded connections in the first instance if I were you.  VCDS might reveal if there's a fault.

Mine were manually adjusted by the MOT centre the time before last.  They were so low when I first used them that they were downright dangerous.

Gaz

Don't know how true it is, but I was told that if a headlight is manually adjusted on the screw, without VCDS being used, there's a possibility of the adjuster coming off the end of the adjustment thread.  I guess this isn't happening in your case as it's intermittent.

Think I'd start looking for loose or corroded connections in the first instance if I were you.  VCDS might reveal if there's a fault.

Mine were manually adjusted by the MOT centre the time before last.  They were so low when I first used them that they were downright dangerous.

Gaz

I tried to manually adjust them without VCDS but after doing that the auto adjustment worked a few times and then it stopped.  Maybe that is the issue. I didn't knew that the adjustment should be made only with VCDS. It's the first time I've looking by my self into the technical stuff of a car. In fact, this is my first car so.. Hope the adjuster it's not broken.. Guess I need to take off the headlight again. Tired of how many times I've done that in the past few days  :dull:

Problem solved. The adjuster was stuck at the end and it was not making the adjustment for the headlight anymore. So glad it's fixed! 

Edited by emipop2005
  • Like 1

Ok, the vibration are back !  :@  :@  :wall:  :wall:   The funny thing is that even after I fitted the 4th bolt, the vibrations were still there but were not so big as before. Don't know what to do..

Maybe the bolts are not the original ones. Can this be the problem? Do you have other ideas? :( I can't stand to see that vibration while stationary!! If I push the accelearation a little bit, the vibrations are gone. 

Regarding this issue, I've noticed that if I press on the headlight, the vibrations are gone. Solved it with a strange solution.. But it works, and that's what matters. I've fitted a metalic bolt between the light and front wing of the car. That bolt has the same effect as pressing on the headlight and.. Voila, no vibrations. The bolt isn't visible when the hood si closed. Even when the hood is open, you can't see it unless you know where to look.