Superb Auto Gear Shift/Lever Problem

Hi All motor engineers, Auto gear shift lever button has a lot of play in it.  Sometimes does not want to go in gear, but with a careful jigger about will go into drive or where ever you want to go.  Gearbox linkage does not seem a problem, it seem just in the gear shift area.  Took off the cover shroud on the lever and it,s even looser then.  Is there a spring missing at the narrow chrome end of the button as it all seems very loose.  Is there a parts diagram on the net anywhere.  Please help, as i know it,s going to give up one day.  Regards Graham

Hi Motor engineers, Had another look and it appears that one of the shiftlock buttons plastic clips has broken off, and that,s why it moves about too much.  Any idea where i can get a replacement shiftlock button.  On my Suberb 2007 it is chrome coloured plastic.  Thanks to all who read my original post and this one.  Kind Regards Graham

Hi, I suffered with this problem, here's a link to my post which should help

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/345950-gear-lever-button/?hl=%2Bgear+%2Blever+%2Bbutton#entry4169677

I got my replacement from TPS, Gave the Reg of a Classic model Skoda as they wanted £344+ for Edition 100 trim which can be glued on afterwards. 

Cost me just over £70 for the replacement lever. 

They mostly break like this - it is a result of a poor design which snaps the button if you use the button "incorrectly". There are some pics in kkbc's thread which explain it. Button can't be replaced as the whole handle is moulded over it, so it is an expensive fix.

Hi Thanks to all that read my post, and kkbc and Jimbof for there reply. I can lift the shroud off of the gear shift an remove the button and one of the lugs has broken. I am going to try and pick the button up from a salvage yard if not £83 up the swanney. If get a good used button and it fits OK I will repost and let you know. Again thank you all. Kind Regards Graham

Be interested to see some pics if you manage to swap just the chrome button. From what I could understand looking at it I couldn't see anyway to get the button out without it being broken. If you find a breaker with a good whole gearstick the best thing would be to remove it whole and refit to your shaft. To remove a non broken gearstick you need to pop the bottom chrome trim down and pull the button outwards, then lift the gearstick off upwards. Apparently you have to keep the button pulled out (they arrive with a plastic clip holding them out). If you release the button without it being installed on a car then the button drops into the gearstick and it is very difficult to retrieve...

• 4 weeks later...

I also have this issue. Managed to find another gear knob complete off an A4. I will be attempting to swap the knob over the weekend. I will take some photo's and post should I succeed

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi there

Same thing happened to me.

Was looking for Chinese ones on eBay (Wooden because of Elegance model) but they were LHD, but considerably cheaper than the ridiculous price from the stealers.

Managed to source one from an online breakers yard (Can't remember which one now) but when I went to pick it up, it was with the whole blimmin unit. BUT the gear knob was separate, with the button IN.

I told them it was useless and I only needed the knob, so they sold it to me for £10!

With the aid of some gaffa/duck tape, I managed to pull the knob out long enough to whack it on the stalk. V Happy! 

sorry for the late reply wishbone. I did in fact manage to swop my gear knob for one from a 2004 a4, straight fit but it does look out of place. I keep trying to find a second hand one but they're like rocking horse ****.

• 8 months later...

Hi,  Regarding gearshift, i done it in the end. I,am not a motor engineer but hope this helps someone.  I had to break the chrome plastic piece off to get at the guts of it, once off put something in the top to move the pin at the top down.  Once the pin has gone down hold it there then pull the gearshift up (without hitting yourself in the face with it) it will come out with not too much force. To put the new one on place over the top of the gearshift making sure it is right to the bottom of the gearshift shaft then pull the red tool out.  It cost me £85 for new one but well worth it in the end  All i can say is gently bently and you will be ok.  In future when moving in and out of gear press the back of the button only as this is why broke, the plastic piece just came away after a while.  Please see photos to help understand the design.  Kind Regards Grahampost-132261-0-21440300-1473528135_thumb.jpgpost-132261-0-73427100-1473528151_thumb.jpgpost-132261-0-41051600-1473528171_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi 5835 Carter Please let me know how you get on. Still trying to source mine. Kind Regards Wishbone

hi wiishbone

i may be able to help as i have a complete gear selector