Broken glovebox - any guidance?

Hi all!

I recently purchased a Skoda Superb 2007, and everything seems to be perfect with the exception of the broken glove box lid..

I already purchased a new lid (05 Passat should be the same arrives next week), but can't find any guidance on how to remove the broken one. As it is only the lid (the little closing plastic bits are broken on mine) and not the whole thing - can someone steer me into the right direction if I can just pull it out or I'll need to unscrew something.

File_12_07_2015_20_37_55.jpg

Sorry, if it is a lame question, but I'm worried that I'll break something trying to pull it off.

Thanks!

Not a lame question at all - nothing worse than snapping something when you're trying to fix it.

IIRC the glovebox comes out, in a Passat, in its entirety with the lid attached, via several screws/torx around the inside edge and underneath.

Don't just pull it whatever you do - that's a recipe for disaster!!

Gaz

I don't think the glovebox lid can be removed from the glovebox without making a bit of a mess of it - if I recall it is glued to the hinge. I had to replace mine and I took the whole box out, swapped over the lock barrel, and then put it back.

A few gotchas:

Pop the light out before removing the box as if you don't it will self destruct, and you will spend much time trying to figure out how it goes back together.

Many Passat boxes don't have the airbag switch or the holder it sits in - my replacement glovebox didn't. The holder is plastic riveted to the glovebox - I moved the holder over to the new glovebox and fixed it with a couple of self tapping screws.

Airbag switch loom might be tight. You will need to disconnect the switch to get the glovebox out, which is a bit of fun - there are two clips on either side of the switch holding it into the holder.

If you turn the keys in the ignition without the switch connected you will need VCDS or the services of a member with it to reset your airbag warning light.

The glovebox catches break because VAG use an unsuitable combination of plastics in the latches, with a ramp angle that is too shallow.

For any of you with a still functional glovebox, apply silicone grease very sparingly to the ramp and thrust faces of the latches. Do this as part of the annual preventative maintenance (together with about 20 other design c o c k ups) and you will have no trouble with it. The lid will also close much more easily.

The quickest and best fix for a broken latch is to araldite onto the inside of the lid 1 or 2 small rare earth magnets. Messing around with VAG's interpretation of an airfix kit is a waste of time.

rotodiesel.

Edited by rotodiesel
  • Like 1

I am intreagued - how did you get just the lid off the box - I couldn't work out how to do it without jemmying stuff open that didn't look like it would go back together?

Nice one! :)

I am intreagued - how did you get just the lid off the box - I couldn't work out how to do it without jemmying stuff open that didn't look like it would go back together?

Nice one! :)

Hi! Well I think the trick is that it's a two man job, so I got my brother in to give me a hand. All we did was - Removing the side cover, and unscrewed every screw that was visible around the glove compartment. When this is done pulled the light out (comes out way too easily:) ) and untied the screw holding the release mechanism on the side. A bit of playing with it and the whole thing fell out only held by the airbag and the AC wires. As I only needed the lid off 2 hits onto the pins holding it on the bottom and the lid comes off. Nothing else holds the lid, but when it is in position you can't access it thats why we had to get the whole thing out. It took us two hours, and I hated every minute of it. Very cheap plastic and quality all around to be honest.

• Like 1