Clutch Eats Gearbox and Bank Balance!

I cant even imagine this event....

The DMF+Clutch is about a grand job as standard

Did the garage use a new gearbox casing and swap over the internals or fit a 2nd hand box?

Or do you mean it wrecked the bellhousing? (an "oil leak" infers it wrecked the gearbox)

-------------------------

The clutch pressure plate had failed, and machined its way through the gearbox casing, so new box, DMF, new clutch.

------------------

Edited by lichfielddriver
  • Like 1

I the Skoda (any of the manufacturers) clause should read: "Of course you can get your Skoda serviced anywhere... but if you get a repair done & expect us to pay you are ****ing into the wind."

I think if you initially thought there would be some form of redress against Skoda and you took it to an independent then you over-estimated Skoda's level of charity.  I agree that a 5 day wait for diagnosis & lack of loan car is inconvenient but there are alternatives such as different dealers, hire cars & the Skoda Customer Service line for advice on what to do.

It's unfortunate that they don't want too know but i'm sure you are using some of your professional nous to change their mind.  If you are lucky they might reimburse you the trade price of the parts that caused the failure... maybe.

• Like 1

Jayelem, I have just had my pressure plate and clutch replaced three years and nearly three months with 44k miles on the clock. I had the extended warranty to five years. Although mine is a manual six speed the mechanic said that this problem was not unheard off. So a pressure plate might be similar. The way the pressure plate "fingers" broke and rubbed against the casing are similar as well. This only happened after I left the car with the dealer (for something else) in their car park and the mechanic driving it to the workshop some 30 metres.

Edited by Danny 57

Thanks for the replies.  To try to answer all:

The car has done 45K miles.....young for a clutch.  The clutch fingers (actually, the sprung ring that supports the fingers) drilled several holes through the gearbox itself, by the input shaft, causing the leak.  In the quick, trauma-filled viewing, I wasn't aware of a separate, replaceable bell-housing, if there is, we made a big mistake, but I guess the box had been running with low-to-no oil (as I said, no symptoms) so it may have been iffy anyway. 

It was a new box, the only second hand ones we could find were 50K miles and £2K. I wasn't aware of a new casing option, but would I have been building damaged parts?  I did think afterwards we could have welded the casing, but again, would I have fancied rebuilding something suspect, only to have another £360 labour bill to rebuild it later if it didn't work?

I did consider another dealer, but at the time, all I knew was a huge oil loss, and I was expecting a failed seal or similar.  The next dealer was 35 miles away, and with the car not drivable, that would have meant recovery.  I did consider it, but it seemed an over-the-top option.  A hire car would have been five days of paying for your own courtesy car, then a massive bill, and I'm sure the helpline view would have been "go to the dealer"

The clutch was manufactured by Sachs.  In the unlikely event they admitted any liability, I'd be sure they'd only pay the £180 clutch cost; a tiny fraction of the total.  I'd be pretty sure there are similar failures around, and the point of my post was to help and warn others, rather than any self-pity.

I have done thousands of automotive failure analyses, and my overall points are:  1)  There is no way this failure can happen without an OE fault.  2). If anyone else has a similar failure, don't assume it's wear and tear or normal deterioration, it isn't.  3). Even out of warranty, I would expect a responsible, ethical manufacturer would attempt some customer-care, if only for the sake of reputation.  I've been disgusted by Skoda's stonewall adherence to a policy they don't advise or publish.

Numskull:  Yes, always.

Then request the help of the service manager at the dealer, who can explain and confirm the FSH of the car, the fact they were unable to look at the car for a week etc.; if they value you future business that should be a simple matter.

Escalate to the CEO of SUK in writing, via email, cc'ing the UK MD and Head of Cust Service, majoring on your professional expertise, your findings; your VW brand loyalty, your utter disappointment of the total dismissal of your request of help. Do NOT get fobbed-off. Keep at them because quite frankly, a "Sod-Off" after a componant failure on a 5 year old car with less than 50k is unacceptable..

• Like 3

Thanks for the supportive words.  Much of what you suggest is under way, and I've not yet thrown in the towel, but the level of stonewalling is appalling, and in my opinion, immoral.

In many cases, the best customer service I've had has been "Sorry about the problem, now here's what we'll do"   but I'm astounded how, in the face of quantifiable, documented, irrefutable evidence, Skoda's response hasn't even been a reasoned argument, merely a statement that, whatever the facts, this is the policy, and they're not budging from it.  It's like a child putting his fingers in his ears and humming when he's being told off.

I'd love the help of a solicitor, but I don't feel like throwing £200/h after a nearly £4K bill.

Thanks for the supportive words.  Much of what you suggest is under way, and I've not yet thrown in the towel, but the level of stonewalling is appalling, and in my opinion, immoral.

In many cases, the best customer service I've had has been "Sorry about the problem, now here's what we'll do"   but I'm astounded how, in the face of quantifiable, documented, irrefutable evidence, Skoda's response hasn't even been a reasoned argument, merely a statement that, whatever the facts, this is the policy, and they're not budging from it.  It's like a child putting his fingers in his ears and humming when he's being told off.

I'd love the help of a solicitor, but I don't feel like throwing £200/h after a nearly £4K bill.

You're welcome. SUK used to be excellent when they were building the brand, but now they've done that, they've reverted to type of course. The answer is "no" now what's the question and then block, block, block. 

Re the legal advise, go and see the CAB. Yes, seriously.... they are excellent and best of all, they're free!

• Like 1

I think you need to make them realise you aren't going away.  

I've seen VW / Skoda do some very expensive repairs on some fairly high mileage vehicles when it became quite clear the owner knew more than they did & wasn't backing down from the ethically / morally correct stance.

• Like 1

I think you need to make them realise you aren't going away.  

I've seen VW / Skoda do some very expensive repairs on some fairly high mileage vehicles when it became quite clear the owner knew more than they did & wasn't backing down from the ethically / morally correct stance.

Correct. When the famed oil pump issue arrived and disintegrated on my 5 year old MKI Superb at 99k, SUK gave 100% goodwill on the oil-pump / counter balance unit, turbo, intercooler and all the associated other stuff which came to £3k +VAT. I paid labour at £700. I have a fantastic dealer and this is why I always use them for servicing / repairs on both my Superbs.

• Like 1

First thing I notice...

My 60-Plate 2.0TDI Elegance dropped an oil-slick on the road.  I phoned my dealer, whose "can't look at it for 5days/no courtesy car" response wasn't that helpful.  I was concerned about taking it to an independent, but Skoda's own website says "Of course you can have your Skoda serviced anywhere..." and I desperately needed a car for medical and professional reasons, so I called a local motorsport garage.  They pulled out all the stops, and had the car stripped within a couple of hours.... but grim news!

Agreed but this wasnt a service was it.......

Ive always AVOIDED main dealers for services, but never been turned away because of it when a warranty matter arose, but the services were by a proper workshop using proper parts/oil....

Your car being a 2010, is it under warranty? if it was id have stuck it on a transporter (i always have rescue and recovery inc home start) and waved it good bye on its way the dealer and as far as id be concerned its their baby if under warranty

I need a car as my sole income being a taxi driver, we cant GET a courtesy car to cover periods of "VOR" (unless a not at fault accident), so it really hurts to be parked on a ramp, maybe £700 per week lost

Edited by lichfielddriver

BTW, if you think your Skoda dealer quoting a 5 day wait for a look see is annoying, I bought a BRAND NEW lwb high roof van for courier work, my mistake was to expect a CAR dealer to have any concept of why i couldnt wait 3 weeks for them to LOOK at problems on a vehicle doing £200 jobs per day, then I go to another (bigger) dealer with a large workshop along one side of which (inside) was a row of vans like mine in various states of undress

BTW, if you think your Skoda dealer quoting a 5 day wait for a look see is annoying, I bought a BRAND NEW lwb high roof van for courier work, my mistake was to expect a CAR dealer to have any concept of why i couldnt wait 3 weeks for them to LOOK at problems on a vehicle doing £200 jobs per day, then I go to another (bigger) dealer with a large workshop along one side of which (inside) was a row of vans like mine in various states of undress

Calm down matey. Firstly, we're not talking about a commercial vehicle here Litchfielddriver, and your "whataboutmethen" issues are, frankly, irrelevant, so

Secondly, I suggest you take your grievances with the manufacturer / dealer concerned yourself. We're here to listen / help / advise other Skoda owner/drivers so they obtain the best value and help on their own vehicles.

First thing I notice...

My 60-Plate 2.0TDI Elegance dropped an oil-slick on the road.  I phoned my dealer, whose "can't look at it for 5days/no courtesy car" response wasn't that helpful.  I was concerned about taking it to an independent, but Skoda's own website says "Of course you can have your Skoda serviced anywhere..." and I desperately needed a car for medical and professional reasons, so I called a local motorsport garage.  They pulled out all the stops, and had the car stripped within a couple of hours.... but grim news!

Agreed but this wasnt a service was it.......

Ive always AVOIDED main dealers for services, but never been turned away because of it when a warranty matter arose, but the services were by a proper workshop using proper parts/oil....

Your car being a 2010, is it under warranty? if it was id have stuck it on a transporter (i always have rescue and recovery inc home start) and waved it good bye on its way the dealer and as far as id be concerned its their baby if under warranty

Not under warranty after nearly 5 years, and I haven't taken out an extended/parts warranty.  Don't forget, though, that all I knew at the time was an oil leak; I was expecting a failed seal or something, not a destroyed gearbox, so recovery to a dealer and no car for five days didn't seem like the best option.  My real point is I wanted to use a dealer, but they couldn't (or wouldn't) do what I thought they reasonably should, i.e. repair or courtesy car.  My second, and most crucial point is that who repaired it is irrelevant, an OE part failed in a way it shouldn't, because of an original defect and caused a horrendously-expensive failure.

Well, I guess the system may have beaten me.  All my efforts have come to nothing, and I've been met with an absolute stonewall at every single turn, not even a rational argument, just a blanket "can't do/won't do" 

I got some legal advice which was along the lines of "prove an original defect, sue the dealer who originally sold the car under the sale of goods act, but we think you might not have much of a case". Just to start a case like this in the Small Claims court is £200.

I'm pretty disgusted with the way Skoda UK treated me.  Such a shame, because Skoda make some fabulous cars.  All I can do is publicise what I think is a major injustice; immoral and grossly unfair.  I know for sure they could have helped, they just didn't want to, using an irrelevant, but very convenient and unpublished policy.  Having taken early retirement, this bill has made a huge hole in my finances, but equally as galling is that I've been royally fobbed off, and I can only hope my misfortune may help any Skoda owners who find themselves in a similar position.

Finally, a comparable situation; I buy a boiler from Potterton but have it serviced by a CORGI Engineer.  Because of an OE fault, it blows up and destroys my house.  My insurers won't pay because of a clause -not in their schedule- that says they don't allow third party servicing.   Fair?

Playing devil's advocate, any part can fail, Skoda/VAG cant be expected to cover the failure of anything out of a warranty period, I know a guy whos Sprinter cylinder head failed just out of warranty and Merc did cover the £3000 cost of repairs but he was lucky.

I still cant get my head round how a clutch could destroy a gearbox, the diff looks mounted closer (albeit through the bell housing wall) isnt the box at the rear of the clutch fork and again behind a wall?

have you pictures of yours?

$_57.JPG

All warranty and possible goodwill work has to be done at the main dealer, Had you left your car there for them to check they would have found the issue and checked your service history and then submitted a goodwill claim and i would say because you have got full history you would have got the majority of the work done under the goodwill clause, The fact you took it to a independent garage isnt really skodas fault and the majority of car dealers wont entertain any warranty being carried out by independents.  

• Like 1

All warranty and possible goodwill work has to be done at the main dealer, Had you left your car there for them to check they would have found the issue and checked your service history and then submitted a goodwill claim and i would say because you have got full history you would have got the majority of the work done under the goodwill clause, The fact you took it to a independent garage isnt really skodas fault and the majority of car dealers wont entertain any warranty being carried out by independents.  

interesting and what id expect, if the 3rd party workshop has simply dismantled it, had a panic,  then sent everything, car and carnage, to a Skoda dealer would the owner have stood a chance of the result he would have liked?