Pending high mileage big ticket expenses?

Just out of curiosity, are you still on the original rear bump stops?

Mine are goosed @ 5 years & 97,000 miles.

This was the other car (an Octavia) last year but the bump stops on my Superb have just gone the same way, they appear to be made out of the same material...

IMG_6662_zpsligbxwml.jpg

And also, any rust on the bonnet emanating from behind the grill?

IMG_9001_zpssmfhvplo.jpg

LHS led indicator has failed. I've ordered the pair and will attempt repair myself. Getting the mirror off seems to be the tricky bit and from the posts it looks like it will be well worth making sure it is well stuck to the backing plastic frame.

This is a pretty easy job - the mirror glass just pulls out of the mirror (Move it the full way in so your fingers fit under the outer edge) and the screws holding everything together are then visible.

This is a pretty easy job - the mirror glass just pulls out of the mirror (Move it the full way in so your fingers fit under the outer edge) and the screws holding everything together are then visible.

I couldn't work out were the last screw was! Sure I looked everywhere!

It's been a while since I did this, but in my case I was putting it back together after it got hit, so the locations of the screws were already obvious :(.

Ok, as promised here is what I've spent from 102,000 to about 191,000 miles. Only faults were really the Turbo actuator and cruise control switches. Xenon lights weren't cheap. I'll be doing them myself from now on. Didn't those times as I thought it might have been the power packs or bulbs. Second cam belt and water pump replacement coming service after next.

Also on the second set of Continental Sport Contact 5's down to about 3-4.5mm of tread.

Service 10: £208.00 190,275 10/07/15

10th Variable. Minor service. Oil & filter.

Wow in my county (Croatia) for SuperbII 3,6 V6 in official Skoda minor service is around £80 it includes 5,5l oil VW504 and filter + work. You can also agree with the shop to bring your own oil with 504 spec so then it costs you only even less as 6l of 5w30 oil in stores is arround £40.

Brake fluid change is £17 with oil and work.

Nice :)

Wow in my county (Croatia) for SuperbII 3,6 V6 in official Skoda minor service is around £80 it includes 5,5l oil VW504 and filter + work. You can also agree with the shop to bring your own oil with 504 spec so then it costs you only even less as 6l of 5w30 oil in stores is arround £40.

Brake fluid change is £17 with oil and work.

Nice :)

I was give the following dealer fixed prices for the Superb 2 in Ireland (9 months ago - 2015):

1. Major Service: €249
  2. Minor Service: €129
  3. Front Pads: €119
  4. Rear Pads: €99
  5. Front Pads and Disks: €249
  6. Rear Pads and Disks: €209
  7. Timing Belt and Water Pump: €385
  8. Brake fluid: €45
  9. Air Filter: €30

They don't differentiate between diesel and petrol (the huge majority of cars would be diesel and we didn't get the 3.6)

Apologies, I was expecting an email when there were replies on the thread!

I replaced my bump stops when I replaced springs and shocks. Replaced the mounts too. Not noticed any rust on mine yet.

I've been away for a week and will be away next week too but indicators should have arrived at work and have read through a few other posts about others replacing them. Appears I should also check if the mirrors are secure on the backing frames!

Indicators replaced at £42 for both doing it myself rather than £25 parts and £45 fitting. Relatively easy job but it's obvious VAG/Skoda don't expect to have to change too many of these!

I had mirror out, mirror drive, screws into top and bottom covers off, puddle light out, removed outer covers, removed puddle light housing from base cover, then finally removed indicator.

Will be replacing the puddle light bulbs too but arrived at the shop 5 min after closing!

• 4 weeks later...

214,000 ish miles.

Ok, big one yesterday. It went it for a clutch kit (dmf flywheel, clutch, slave cylinder, release bearing) and got a call to say that bearings were spinning in the gearbox casing.

Symptoms were rattle when cold that reduced when warm or clutch down, pulsing through clutch pedal, clunky gear change, and quite a bit of play in the gear train when you came off, then went back on the throttle.

Replaced: clutch, dmf flywheel, slave cylinder, release bearing, and gearbox casing with some associated seals and bearings.

As others have said the clutch change has transformed the car, and much better feel going into gears.

Not cheap work, but I think a good price. OEM parts and a recommended independent in Widnes, south of Liverpool. Selector Gearbox.

£1288.57

As far as I'm aware this is it's first clutch. The friction plate had worn to the bottom of the slots (just) and there is slop in the dmf that you can rattle by hand.

Bearings on the input shaft were spinning in the case. There was also problems with the selector. This is apparently a common fault with high mileage VAG cars that share this gearbox.

The gear change is far more positive now and seems to be less play in the transmission. Trouble is I'm not sure hoe you'd diagnose the fault with certainty without removing the box. Got the old casing and there is little to it. I'd think welding up and machining back would be more work/cost than the new case.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Both front wheel bearings (genuine kits) £399.62 First time for the bearings as far as I can see.

Fault description:

I'd become aware of a low volume, low pitch and sometimes oscillating drone/hum. Having heard of the stories of some Skodas/VAG cars wearing the tyres in such a way it can sound like knackered bearings, and of course having just done the gearbox/clutch I was a little cautious on diagnosis. The noise did get gradually louder over miles and was most noticeable on smooth motorways. Dropping the car into neutral and letting the revs drop had no effect on the pitch or volume of the noise so fairly certain it was bearing or CV related. Reasonably sure it was the former. It finally got loud enough for my other half to notice it, and a second opinion from my father-in-law a couple of weeks ago was enough to put it on for the work.

Drivers side hub assembly came apart once off the car and the passengers side felt notchy.

Much quieter now they are replaced.

Edit:

The noise also got louder when turning a corner with the worst wheel on the outside of the corner. Appreciate a gone CV is normally indicated by a clicking when accelerating around corners but was concerned this could have been early stage of a failure. Glad I was wrong!

Edited by WesBrooks
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Cain0z said:

2012 Superb 103kw tdi 440,000 KM  Passenger Mirror keeps on going when coming out of a fold. And seats need a retrim.

150 miles or 240km per day every day - tough mileage that! My figures are all miles (edit: unless I say otherwise!). Yeah leather seat scuffed up on mine too but it still works! :-D

Edited by WesBrooks

• 1 month later...

230353 miles, 368564km.

In for the water pump and cam belt service, major service including all filters, at a local independent. I'll update the price when I pick it up later today!

5000 miles late for the cam belt service. Car was playing up a little last summer by stalling and refusing to restart for a while. Thankfully seems to have cleared. Put though an expensive bottle of injector cleaner and running v-power diesel more often. No idea if either of those actually cleared it or not!

Here's to the next 112500 miles! My mileage has dropped a lot. Down to more like 23500 a year now and next year will be much less due to shared parental leave from work. I predict the next cam belt service is at least 5 years a way. I expect my car will suffer corrosion issues before it mechanically fails me. Hope so any way! Other factors such as the talk of banning diesels from the centre of Liverpool are likely to drive the decision to buy a replacement before the next cam belt service.

Edited by WesBrooks
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WesBrooks said:

230353 miles, 368564km.

In for the water pump and cam belt service, major service including all filters, at a local independent. I'll update the price when I pick it up later today!

5000 miles late for the cam belt service. Car was playing up a little last summer by stalling and refusing to restart for a while. Thankfully seems to have cleared. Put though an expensive bottle of injector cleaner and running v-power diesel more often. No idea if either of those actually cleared it or not!

Here's to the next 112500 miles! My mileage has dropped a lot. Down to more like 23500 a year now and next year will be much less due to shared parental leave from work. I predict the next cam belt service is at least 5 years a way. I expect my car will suffer corrosion issues before it mechanically fails me. Hope so any way! Other factors such as the talk of banning diesels from the centre of Liverpool are likely to drive the decision to buy a replacement before the next cam belt service.

Wow I am trailing you at 214k

I am thinking the time is right for a new car with DSG. I will try and avoid the next cambelt change at 255k. Car still has plenty of life but after the rusted radiator recently I also fear the body is not going to withstand more motorway miles without some holes appearing!

Good luck with the next milestone if you still have it. 

Cheers. I can see from your car details below your name yours is about 12? I was thinking the new 1.4 petrol engines with cylinder deactivation look like a good option. Should about the same fuel costs as mine with no DPF to worry about. I want them to be at least 3 or 4 year old before I buy them which would make mine 11 or 12 too, about the time I thought might mark the start of corrosion issues.

Edited by WesBrooks

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 09:58, Cain0z said:

2012 Superb 103kw tdi 440,000 KM  Passenger Mirror keeps on going when coming out of a fold. And seats need a retrim.

That is serious mileage in five years!!

1 minute ago, Superb170 said:

That is serious mileage in five years!!

You're not kidding! 275,000 miles. Got to be business related. Assuming 30 days holiday a year that's about 240 miles a day. I mucked up and double converted it last time. Assuming that is all motorway driving it's got to be 3.7 to 4.4 hours every day!

4 minutes ago, WesBrooks said:

You're not kidding! 275,000 miles. Got to be business related. Assuming 30 days holiday a year that's about 240 miles a day. I mucked up and double converted it last time. Assuming that is all motorway driving it's got to be 3.7 to 4.4 hours every day!

I suppose its a pretty vast country down under so many journeys involves hours of driving.