Light Failure and Emission Warning Lights - Do i buy VCDS?

Hi all,

I've recently brought a 54 plate Skoda Superb Elegance. There are a few things that bugging me:

1) I get a light failure error every time i start the car. I've checked all the lightbulbs and they are operating fine (although would be grateful if someone can confirm that there is only one rear fog light on the drivers side). Reading several discussions i've narrowed the issue down to my Xenons. In summary, the xenons are not doing the auto alignment on start up and the washers are also not working (possibly not linked). However, I don't have VCDS to check the xenon ranges, sensors, etc.

2) I occasionally get the emission warning light come up on the dash when driving. This could last for a few hours then will disappear again for a day or so until returning. Again, i know i need to get the car connected to VCDS to diagnose further.

Therefore, can you guys please advise me on  whether i should buy VCDS (if yes then which version), find a forum member nearby who can help (i'm from Cheshunt in Hertfordshire, junction 25 off the M25 and am wiling to travel) or go to a local garage?

Thanks in advance,

Koyes.

Welcome

Take a look at the VCDS owners map in my signature for someone local to you.

I recently had the emission warning and it was the coolant temperature sender... BUT you really need it scanned as it could be several different things.

• Like 1

Don't forget the headlight washers only work when your lights are on.  Easy point to miss.

Gaz

I had emissions warning recently; it was coolant temperature sensor, and it behaved the way you describe.  But could be a few things, so a scan in order.

For washers; not only do lights have to be on, but you also have to hold the wash jet switch for a few seconds to activate the headlight washer.  They have their own high pressure pump in the washer liquid bottle.  As far as I know there is no comms from it - so it won't trip any errors in the computers if it isn't working.

The xenons system can be interrogated.  It could be as simple as the range adjust procedure not having been completed - if you start the adjust and are not on level ground, for example - or a faulty sensor, etc.  But as you have a message, a scan will probably give you a very good idea.  No point trying to work on it without.

Probably best to find a local member in the first instance.  I would be happy to do it but I'm miles away from you.

I personally have both VCDS HEX+CAN genuine, plus a generic lead with a licensed VCDS lite from Rosstech direct.  

If you are only going to do Superb MK1s and older, a generic lead with licensed VCDS lite from Rosstech can be a good solution (I will probably get shot for this, as I did last time.  There is nothing wrong whatsoever with using a generic lead with licensed VCDS lite from Rosstech).  Communications with generic leads won't be as good in marginal situations - eg imy Dad's Audi A2 climate controller will absolutely not talk over my generic lead, yet everything else works fine, no idea why - but other than that VCDS lite does everything a MK1 owner needs.  My brother bought a B6 Passat so we invested together in a 2nd hand genuine VCDS HEX+CAN lead.  That is a good option; but bear in mind Rosstech will only support the original owner (unless you pay them $99).  I've never needed their support.

Actually, looking at where you are - I'm in Stretham, Ely most daytimes, so if you have a long lunch you might be able to get to me for a quick scan.

VCDS has paid for itself many times over in my case (just from working on my own / family vehicles - I have a non-vehicular engineering day job!).  I'd recommend it if you are going to be working on the car yourself for sure - it is great value in all its forms.

Thanks for the reply guys.

I've tried the washer 5+ times with the headlights on so i assume it's either a loose connection to the pump or a faulty pump?

Jimbof, thanks for the offer of a quick scan but i thought i'd first opt of a generic cable with VCDS lite. The cable arrived today and this is what i got:

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2

Thursday, 16 July 2015, 16:43:11.
Control Module Part Number: 038 906 019 KD
  Component and/or Version: 1,9l R4 EDC G000AG  4897
           Software Coding: 00001
            Work Shop Code: WSC 00028
                      VCID: 63B92C8FE24D
           Additional Info: TMBBU63U949069060     SKZ7Z0D2432822
1 Fault Found:
19586 -  EGR System: Regulation Range Exceeded
        P3130 - 35-10 -   - - Intermittent

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Thursday, 16 July 2015, 16:46:58.
Control Module Part Number: 4Z7 907 357 
  Component and/or Version: dynamische LWR       D09
           Software Coding: 00005
            Work Shop Code: WSC 73430
                      VCID: 047B0F130703
1 Fault Found:
00776 -  Level Control System Sensor; Left Front (G78)
        31-00 -  Open or Short to Ground

So, having done a bit of searching around I believe my next steps should be

Emission Light
Check all hoses to and from the EGR valve for any leaks

Xenons
Check the connection of the left front sensor next.

Anything else i should be doing?

Thanks in advance!

19586/P3130/012592 - EGR System: Regulation Range Exceeded 

Possible Symptoms 
  • Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
Possible Causes 
  • Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18) faulty
  • Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) faulty
Possible Solutions 
  • Check/Replace Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18)
  • Check Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) faulty

00776 - Level Control System Sensor; Front Left (G78): Open or Short to Ground  Possible Symptoms 
  • Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active
Possible Causes 
  • Level Control System Sensor Front Left (G78) faulty
  • Wiring/Connectors from/to Level Control System Sensor Front Left (G78) faulty
Possible Solutions 
  • Check Level Control System Sensor Front Left (G78)
  • Check Wiring/Connectors from/to Level Control System Sensor Front Left (G78)

• Like 1