Driving Lights in Europe - Headlight conversion

TR7Driver

Taking Sharky on a European adventure in early August, have got all the bits and bobs I need for driving on the continent, how one question that remains unanswered but I think I should know the answer to, but wished to check about headlight conversion.

I have an Yeti Elegance with xenon headlights, do I just need to adjust the Maxidot setting to travel and that is it, as I can't see any markings on the headlights where I would need to mask off.

Any help or advice greatly received on this issue or continental driving in general.

Many thanks.

I also have a Shark Blue Elegance ( 140 CR 4x4) which spends a lot of time in France, one of the reasons for getting this spec was the xenons and the ability to change from British to European on the Maxidot. It is so easy and convenient.

One problem though, you are supposed to have a spare bulb....... I just don't bother for the xenons.

As for driving abroad, are you travelling through France? The French are still learning (slowly) about roundabouts. They get confused about priorities and refuse to signal.

My advice is to use indicators clearly at roundabouts in accordance with the UK Highway Code and beware of French drivers who assume priority on entering a roundabout.

On the subject of headlights, I live in France and have an LHD Yeti with ordinary headlights. When driving at night in the UK I drive on sidelights and fogs (pre FL). I don't use beam deflectors. It's not legal but has never been a problem and if plod wanted a discussion I reckon I could get away with it.

Likewise my previous Yeti was an Elegance spec and as above, found it easy to set the lights for continental driving, although you loose the bending beam function and I personally found the pattern wasn't quite as effective.

As a side note our V40 also has bending xenon lights as part of a option pack, however I was surprised to find no setting in the MyVolvo menu to set the lights for LH driving and even more surprised to read in the manual that the lights are set to suit both Left and right driving, so no need for any conversion  :o

TP

For NON xenon equipped vehicles;

I just keep my Octy Scout permanently on the 'flat' beam. Drove through France and Spain, and it's been through three Mot's in that setting without any issues.

I live in France, don't have xenons, don't use deflector strips, just put the beam height to the minimum setting, never been stopped or flashed by oncoming traffic!

In my area les gendarmes are rarely seen at night!

• Like 1

I'm in France this week and next. Not fitted beam deflectors and the T5 doesn't have xenons. But at this time of year I'm tucked up in bed by the time it gets dark

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm in France this week and next. Not fitted beam deflectors and the T5 doesn't have xenons. But at this time of year I'm tucked up in bed by the time it gets dark

Haha, you fit the 'profile'.

For NON xenon equipped vehicles;

I just keep my Octy Scout permanently on the 'flat' beam. Drove through France and Spain, and it's been through three Mot's in that setting without any issues.

Me too. I actually prefer the beam pattern that way.

We usually do at least one trip to Germany per year.

Gone through 2 MOTs with the beam flattened so it's clearly not a problem and you're not require to have the "flick" at the side.

Phil

Haha, you fit the 'profile'.

Yeah, with a young kid who's up between 5 and 6am every morning you mean ?

• Like 1

On the subject of headlights, I live in France and have an LHD Yeti with ordinary headlights. When driving at night in the UK I drive on sidelights and fogs (pre FL). I don't use beam deflectors. It's not legal but has never been a problem and if plod wanted a discussion I reckon I could get away with it.

Yeah... thanks for that!

So we make a special effort to ensure our lights are right for driving on the continent... then you come over here and dazzle us with your fogs. And to be so arrogant to think that if you were stopped by the police you could just get away with it.

Guess you're too cheap to buy some black tape to stick on your headlights?

• Like 1

Yeah... thanks for that!

So we make a special effort to ensure our lights are right for driving on the continent... then you come over here and dazzle us with your fogs. And to be so arrogant to think that if you were stopped by the police you could just get away with it.

Guess you're too cheap to buy some black tape to stick on your headlights?

You get dazzled by foglights? Something wrong here...

You get dazzled by foglights? Something wrong here...

No... Not when they are used in clear conditions. Fog lights do not have the same beam pattern as dipped beam lights. They are designed to just throw their light out all over the place unlike a headlight that is focused to a set pattern. When fog are used correctly in fog their light is much more subtle due to the fog.

This is why driving with fog lights on in clear conditions is an offence!

• Like 4

No... Not when they are used in clear conditions. Fog lights do not have the same beam pattern as dipped beam lights. They are designed to just throw their light out all over the place unlike a headlight that is focused to a set pattern. When fog are used correctly in fog their light is much more subtle due to the fog.

This is why driving with fog lights on in clear conditions is an offence!

Something strange here.

All my fog lights on various cars have flat topped beams which are probably more controlled than dipped headlights. 

"Throwing" light out all over is just what you don't want in fog, and besides they all have 55w bulbs (most likely)

Driving on fog lights is probably better than dipped in optical terms, but in the UK is "illegal". Lots of UK Regs are outdated/been overtaken by EU legislation etc - pretty normal UK Govt road legislation performance.

Or have I missed something here?

There is an issue called light pollution which astronomers complain of and, out here at least, is a significant problem with most driving at night with both headlights and fog lights on.

On highways with significant traffic it results in sheer tiredness and that doesn't seem to be understood by those who seem to think there can never be too much.......from my perspective it just demonstrates a lack of thought.

One thing is certain, you will see what you can't avoid - and what's the point of that?

They are called FOG lights for a good reason.

• Like 2

Flipping heck, I learn something every day.

Did not realise the fogs worked without the headlights being on, just re-read the handbook.

I often drive to and around France so, I just stick on the beam deflectors and put the beam down low.

I thought you had to have the deflectors on even during the daytime.

I would prefer not to get stopped by them there friendly gendarmes, might just meet an unfriendly one.

It's not only the French drivers on roundabouts to watch for,

it's also a few English ones as well as some just stop in the middle of a roundabout when your behind them.

Yeah. Regardless of whether you are driving during the day or don't intend to drive at night you are still required to have them fitted.

If it rains etc and you need to use your lights and you don't have them fitted then you could end up dazzling someone.

Phil