A very rough guide to removing your front headlight

Hyphons

As the title suggests this is a really rough 5 minute write up on removing your front headlight, I do in future plan to add a full video showing a step by step removal guide but as of right now, removing the headlight (as simple as it may be) is obviously a big ask just to show how its done

This will be in no particular order for the time being and you will simply need 2 (possibly 3) Torx screw drivers (can't remember which ones..) and a flat head screw driver

Remove these 5 screws, 4 of which secure the headlight bracket and 1 of which holds the headlight in place (highlighted in yellow)

DSC_0883_zpsvlo2e9jk.jpg

Next you need to remove any connections you have attached to the headlight, you can do this by either removing the bulbs or removing the connection which is done using a flat head screw driver

So you'll have to disconnect your DRL connection

DSC_0885_zpsgrmkqe3h.jpg

Your headlight connection (a warning though, if its the first time you are disconnecting the headlight it is really tough to remove, you literally have to yank it and will likely end up with a skinned knuckle)

DSC_0887_zpsaadv844f.jpg

Your indicator connection (see where the brown wire runs to? Yeah that connection, it'll be 10x easier to see with the bracket off)

DSC_0048_zpsgjnjyxup.jpg

And then this connection which I am actually not sure what its for but you'll need to use a flat head screw driver to remove the connection

DSC_0884_zps1d7iuqr3.jpg

The last thing to remove is the rear screw

DSC_0890_zpsppchxpws.jpg

And bobs your uncle! Just wiggle on out the headlight and then wiggle on in the new one and pop all the connections back in (I would suggest doing connections to the lights first before anything else to check the bulbs all work)

As I said, I'll do a much better tutorial at some point I also suggest realigning your headlights after doing this as well as the alignment will be out!

Edited by Hyphons
  • Like 1

Great, thanks! Seems quite easy.

When I asked the dealer about the price of the headlight unit, he told me that the repair manual says this is a bumper-off job. Any idea why? Could it be different for the other side of the car? My cracked light is on the left side of a LHD car.

Great, thanks! Seems quite easy.

When I asked the dealer about the price of the headlight unit, he told me that the repair manual says this is a bumper-off job. Any idea why? Could it be different for the other side of the car? My cracked light is on the left side of a LHD car.

Should be the same for the other side, I highly doubt the bumper needs to be removed, the only reason you would need to remove the bumper would be to change the fog lights, I will look up later how much I paid for a headlight brand new off eBay so you can be sure you won't be ripped off

Sounds good - I'll try to do it myself then! The dealer was asking the equivalent of 130 GBP, but I can get it for around 80 GBP from an independent webshop here in Norway. I could probably find it on ebay as well, but want to absolutely sure that I get one for LHD vehicles (apparently, they are different in LHD and RHD vehicles).

Sounds good - I'll try to do it myself then! The dealer was asking the equivalent of 130 GBP, but I can get it for around 80 GBP from an independent webshop here in Norway. I could probably find it on ebay as well, but want to absolutely sure that I get one for LHD vehicles (apparently, they are different in LHD and RHD vehicles).

Interesting, I sent you a PM with a link to a £80 one :) the same seller I bought my headlight from as well