Stone chipped windscreen

Sanqhar

Is there something about the shape of the Yeti that predisposes it to the windscreen being hit by stones?

I'm currently on my third stone chip and consequent crack in as many years (current screen is less than six months old).  

I'm wondering when my insurance company will call a halt to handing out new screens.

Tom

Guess you're unlucky: In 2 years and 25K of Yeti motoring, I've had no issues. Small stomes have hit the screen, but no damage needing repair!

Good question about the insurance though - I don't think there's a limit, but who knows . . .

The Insurance Industry, the Windscreen Replacement industry, the Dealers and Skoda the Manufacturers will have the statistics and know if the percentage of damaged / replaced windows is higher on Skoda Yeti & will be aware of the Claims Risks is so much higher than other models, or similar SUV's.

Skoda will know if their Windscreens Purchased & the Quality & Spec has anything to do with it, 

(Thinner / Lighter)

but then if replacements break in similar numbers and are slightly different spec, it maybe Design and Windscreen angle.

or just Location Location Location of where the vehicles are driven and windscreens chipped.

Anyway, if an Insurance Underwriter or Broker Questions the Breakages, 

then ask them to question the Manufacturers and the Replacement Screens being required, UK / EU & World Wide.

I came out to mine (parked with my new badge in a disabled space)

and the windscreen appeared to have been scratched by a spider!

There were several very fine scratches that looked to have been

made with a diamond ring.

I think ours lasted 1 week before it got a ding. I think it's just luck of the draw.

It's a heated screen...I wonder what happens if it were to be replaced.

I think ours lasted 1 week before it got a ding. I think it's just luck of the draw.

It's a heated screen...I wonder what happens if it were to be replaced.

normally higher excess in heated screens I think :(

Three Yetis no windscreens replaced, one chip repaired on my fist one.  And SWMBO had a thing with the MG we had before the Yeti, 5 windscreens in 3 years, told her it was easier to clean them than replace them  :D  :punch:.

Edited by wakev

My Yeti windscreen didn't need any help from stones to give up the ghost - it managed it all by itself, developing a 6" crack extending from the bottom middle of the screen straight up, whilst parked for about an hour.

At the time the car was only a few months old. Contrary to recent publicity, Autoglass did a very good replacement job which lasted until I sold the car in May this year, plus they gave me a free set of wipers.

I have had plenty of cars with heated screens and never yet been imposed with a higher excess for them.

As for replacements, insurance will normally allow you 2 screen replacements within 1 year without it effecting your No Claims Discount. Screen repairs don't count.

If you claim for a 3rd, then you will probably lose 2 years NCD come renewal time.

Which is why I usually wait until near MOT time or just before insurance renewal time to claim for a new windscreen if one is needed, unless it's a dangerous crack. That way if it picks up further chips, then there's only 1 screen replacement claim going in.

I had a small crack in my heated windscreen which the first technician said meant a new screen. He didn't have one available but ordered one and took the standard excess (£70 in my case). A different technician arrived a few days later with the new screen, thought the crack wasn't too bad and suggested trying a repair first - if it failed I could then have a new screen. Seemed to make sense not to disturb the original factory fitted screen unnecessarily so he did the repair, refunded the excess and six months on I've had no problem. The only sign of the repair is a very tiny mark where the sealant(?) didn't quite reach. He warned me this might happen and it's barely visible. 

on my insurance I am sure I read a clause on my policy about a higher excess on heated screens, when I queried it I was told it was due to the higher cost of replacements

whether this has changed now heated screens are more common I am not sure

I have had plenty of cars with heated screens and never yet been imposed with a higher excess for them.

As for replacements, insurance will normally allow you 2 screen replacements within 1 year without it effecting your No Claims Discount. Screen repairs don't count.

If you claim for a 3rd, then you will probably lose 2 years NCD come renewal time.

Which is why I usually wait until near MOT time or just before insurance renewal time to claim for a new windscreen if one is needed, unless it's a dangerous crack. That way if it picks up further chips, then there's only 1 screen replacement claim going in.

I do exactly the same , and have just had my 3rd windscreen in 3 years :(

The one I just had replaced on my Golf , had only just been replaced when I bought it 13 months ago . 

4 weeks after buying it I got a large chip on passenger side , which to be honest I probably should have got the windscreen replaced , then 3 months ago , got hit by a stone when doing 70 on dual carriageway and an unrepairable chip and crack. Left it until MOT due and insurance renewal for very same reasons above.

I think its just how crap the roads are now :(

On my second Yeti now, (had for about 3 weeks). The first I had for nearly 4 years and in that time have got through 3 windscreens. Not sure if it's car related as I have had to replace windscreens before - I drive on mainly rural roads. That said I've never had to replace a screen more than once and I tend to keep cars for roughly the same amount of time.

• 1 month later...

Is there something about the shape of the Yeti that predisposes it to the windscreen being hit by stones?

I'm currently on my third stone chip and consequent crack in as many years (current screen is less than six months old).  

I'm wondering when my insurance company will call a halt to handing out new screens.

Tom

You are not joking! :devil:

I've had my car nearly 5 weeks now and after just a few days I had a stone chip the window on the passenger side.

Then coming home last night a car overtook me on a virtually empty stretch of road and threw a stone up that hit the bonnet, taking a big chip out, and then hit the windscreen.

Coming home tonight, again on a virtually empty road I was hit on the windscreen again. I was surprised by the bang as the oncoming car was well past me, the stone must have been bouncing up the road!

And then to cap it all, I went out again to fuel up (my wife is using it tomorrow) and got hit again! Unbelievable, and to be honest I got really angry. I was going to give it a quick wash but couldn't be bothered. 

I know cars are going to get stone chipped but this piddled me off. In the 2 years that I ran my old Stilo and wasn't worried about chips I only had about the same amount and that included driving on freshly chipped roads which I don't do with my other cars unless I get caught out. :sweat:

As well as avoiding chipped roads (and for some time after - they never sweep them properly) I keep well away from the vehicle in front so I'm trying to reduce the risk as far as I can, but sadly to no avail. :'(

Edited by VAGCF

Not sure about any clauses in insurance policies, but screen replacements do show up on your claims history, which most insurers now share.

I had 3 replacements, one each year on a van, just before MOT due.

Didn't affect premium at existing insurer, but when that one stopped insuring commercial vehicles as a matter of policy, (they gave us all over a years notice they were withdrawing from that sector of the market), they were all on the claims history printout I asked for.

Also, a tiny repair that was done by one of the windscreen replacement companies, which I didn't even ask to be done, fitter just said "we've done that one for free, no excess, sign here" while the van was in to have a side window fitted that I supplied from a breakers, also showed up in the claims history, with a £ value against it! They don't tell you that.

With regards, to the Yeti, the screen is more upright than on some cars, so maybe thats it?

Bruce.

I am about to have the 2nd windscreen replaced in about 50 years of driving.
1st was about 8 years ago in my 2 year old Fabia and now in my 7 month old Yeti :doh:

Whilst the screen is more upright than some cars it's about the same angle as that in my wife's Mini which I was driving today. But if you think about it, the angle is irrelevant!

What is the problem is that the height of the screen is so much more than most cars. Whilst looking at the front of the cars in the drive, surprisingly there is little difference between the Mini and the Yeti to the base of the windscreen but of course the Yeti roof is so much higher. The first stone that hit the Yeti would have gone over the Mini!

I've calmed down today and have ordered touch-up paint from the dealer which I will be applying over the weekend.

As an aside my wife had an enjoyable day out with two of her sisters and took the Yeti for it's longest run yet and reported that it was very pleasant driving it. Funnily enough, as with TwoLadies she did report having trouble finding the light switch! In the Mini it's on the stalk.