200 mile trip and got 39mpg!

Done a 200 mile trip the other day and i only averaged 38mpg on the motorway. Is this normal or is there something wrong? My average speed was 68mph and i was up and down with the speed throughout. Was clear roads the whole way too.

Sounds about right to me. Pretty happy if I average 36 on a motorway run (80mph) in both the vRS and Scout (1.8).

Your mpg looks normal. My old TFSI VRS returned 40-41 Lincoln - Edinburgh - Lincoln at legal motorway speeds. My MkIII VRS has just done 42-43 Lincoln- Manchester - Lincoln again at legal limits on a mixture of motorways and A roads in daytime i.e. busy conditions and with air con activated for the last leg. The one note of caution is that both engines are heavily influenced by temperature and the economy does suffer by about 5-10% during winter conditions subject to journey length and road conditions, as you'd expect. Pretty phenomenal when I remember the ''economy' of my old man's 1960's range of Jags, MkII, S type and 420 Daimler and latterly 4.2 XJ6.

I'd say that's about right too. Did around 700 miles or so (300 motorway) & rest those nice smooth French 'A' & 'B' type roads at the legal limits & averaged around 38-40mpg. Saw 45 often but the odd foray into towns & cities soon knocks that down. If you really go light foot & try hard I've had it up to 48/49 over a fair distance but you soon get fed up with that & its not what you buy a petrol vRS for anyway.

If you can average 40 mpg at legal limits you're doing really well, but is it worth the restraint..... :sweat:    :no:

I'd say that's about right too. ...If you can average 40 mpg at legal limits you're doing really well, but is it worth the restraint..... :sweat: :no:

Yes it is simply because usually traffic is so heavy and I want to retain my licence.....driving with the flow of the traffic with enough poke on tap to zip past on A roads or avoid trouble. 75-80 Mph on the clock is about 70-75 Mph on my Tom Tom, which should avoid police attention, although I am unsure if the newest motorway cameras give any leeway. I learnt to drive in Germany and have tonked up and down a few autobahns. I will probably go up through the Rhine/ Mosel region next year and stretch the car's legs properly.

Apologies, my poorly worded post gave the wrong impression, I wasn't referring to speed limit restraint which is a given as you say because we all want to stay on the road, both physically, legally & morally. Average speed cameras are also ensuring we focus harder on that subject too.

The reference was more about the principle of driving a petrol vRS everywhere in such a light footed manner, off boost, in an effort to achieve 'non-turbo' or diesel levels of fuel consumption, kind of defeats the object of having one.

You don't have to break speed limits or do anything illegal to increase fuel consumption. Driving style or a bit of enthusiasm when safe to do so can hit that just as much as sitting in traffic. 

Personally I'm too long in the tooth these days for any madcap antics, the older you get the less you need the grief that goes with it!!

On a motorway my TFSI would do about 35mpg if you stuck to 70 and 32mpg if you sat at 80.

So 39 sounds pretty decent to me.

Yesterday I drove to London from the Midlands and my 07 vrs got 44.3 mpg which I was completely blown away by and that was sticking to the limit and gentle acceleration. On the way back was a different ball game lol.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

With that average speed sounds pretty good to me for a petrol car. The wind direction makes a big difference. My mpg can vary a lot for the same journey for that reason.