Help for possible engine in Reims, France

OK, so after hours and snapping a hex tool as a bolt was way tight, I finally got the sump off. Had to also cut off the undertray as the screw had rusted very badly.

The strainer was badly blocked with very small bits of black stuff. Also was what looked like small chunks of plastic in the sump too.

20150821_180731.jpg

This is after I'd rubbed with my finger (which let all the oil or if the pipe)

20150821_182614.jpg

20150821_171944_001.jpg

Next question, is how clean should the sump be before I put it back on?

I would get the sump as clean as possible tbh... may as well make the ffort while your looking at it and youll know then that theres nothing there to potentially block it. Tha way youll know in a few days /after a start up if more crud comes through from the pipework also ie let it run and then drop sump again if feeling unsure..

There was a lot of pieces of what look like curved plastic in the strainer. I'm a bit worried as to where they came from. Any ideas

20150822_082030.jpg

Remains of a water pump impellor would be my guess.

Have you had the cam cover of yet?, there is a black plastic oil baffle over the inlet cam that may have had an issue at some point. Apart from that, it could be dipstick tube plastic that has become badly discoloured by time in the oil, but I've never seen the bits turn black before.

As to how clean should the sump be, just try to get all of the sludge out as you don't want that getting sucked back in the new strainer, then get it as cosmetically clean as you can

I took it out and it cleared. Seems to run ok. Very happy.

Has a bit of a strange sound now. When accelerating, it sounds like the whine of the turbo spoiling, but a bit deeper like a pigeon spooling instead. Also I'm not getting the let off tsssh from the air filter any more either.

Hi sorry to hear of your predicament but I do have a cylinder head off a 2003 cupra 20 valve also a good spare turbo yours if you pay for delivery good look BARRY ps engine code is AUQ

Do you still have the turbo? Think this might be a problem. The engine seems to be OK. Not getting and pull or decent power anymore. Also don't get the let of noise when accelerating. Don't think the turbo is spooling.