Just bough a Superb and questions arise:)

Hi All, as I just recently bought my Superb 07 plate 2.0 TDI PD with 108K so, a few things I thought I ask..

1 - The radio - This symphony mp3 with the CD changer at the back is not the best I've ever seen, so the question is if I buy any 2 DIN sets will it fit plug and play? All I'm after to be honest is an AUX in, but have a £50 amazon gift card, so I thought I put that to good use and kill two birds with a stone and get a new set with built in aux for around £100 (Kenwood, JVC or Pioneer) but have literally zero audio knowledge and want to be sure if it is something I can do myself..

The radio without the plastic cover:

Photo_18_07_2015_16_46_29.jpg

2:

Wet footwell..

So this morning when I put in place the new mats I got I noticed that the carpet is wet at the passenger side, so by now I read all posts etc about the issue and I'm aware what might causing it. I haven't seen any pictures on how to do it at a Superb this whole pollen filter sealing, but I'm sure I'll figure it out - any sealant that is cheap and easy to get and use you could recommend? Meanwhile when I went down to make these pics it was already dry, so hopefully it is not gallons of water in the foot wells.
3:

I also noticed this belt (not sure which one it is?) to be a bit of a used shape - the question (the rips (4-5) are around 2mm only on one side) is this a major issue and should take it to get it changed immediately, or it is still an acceptable level of usage on a belt? The car has FSH and had all belts changed properly so far. I need to know as I'm planning a 2500 mile journey in a week, so it's better to be safe than sorry. The picture below:

Thanks for all the help guys!

Photo_18_07_2015_17_13_13.jpg

To be fair my friend I think you will need much more than 100.

I dont know what phone you have, but you can always buy AUX adapter and not cost you too much. I would do so.

To be fair my friend I think you will need much more than 100.

I dont know what phone you have, but you can always buy AUX adapter and not cost you too much. I would do so.

I was thinking about something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-Receiver-Control-Variable-Illumination/dp/B00AZJUPT2/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1437241009&sr=1-12

I have a Parrot in the car installed, so I don't really need bluetooth, and never use the CD changer anyway. This is £109

That belt is on the alternator pulley.  These pulleys are known to seize (it has a one way clutch in it to allow the pulley to freewheel) which puts a large load on the tensioner, belt, etc.  It could be seized and causing damage to the belt.  Or it could be that the tensioner roller is damaged and causing damage to the belt.  

If it is pulley related you could be looking at a big old bill if it fails and launches itself through your radiator.  Either way you can see it drives the power steering pump, which you don't want failing on you mid-overtake for example!

No brainer really, if you are thinking of driving 2500 miles on a car you don't know the history of (and to be honest, FSH doesn't mean that much as there are lots of things not on the service schedule), you owe it to yourself to get that checked out at least.

The 2.0 has a pretty bad reputation (deservedly so) for destroying oil pump drives too.  You might want to comb the service history to see if there is any evidence of that having had any work on it.  

And for your water - if the top of the carpet was wet it was either VERY wet from the pollen filter (as the water goes down the back of the carpet, which is actually a few inches off the bottom of the car) - or it is leaking from somewhere else, like the doors.  If from the pollen filter and you have got a load of water under the carpet, you probably want to get under there and dry it out as otherwise you'll be sorting out lots of damaged wiring (you might have that to look forward to anyway, as you don't know how long it has been leaking for).

If you want the proper sealing cord for the filter I can send you a length - much neater than dousing it in silicon sealant.  Just need some paypal spondoolicas to cover sending it... ;)

That belt is on the alternator pulley.  These pulleys are known to seize (it has a one way clutch in it to allow the pulley to freewheel) which puts a large load on the tensioner, belt, etc.  It could be seized and causing damage to the belt.  Or it could be that the tensioner roller is damaged and causing damage to the belt.  

If it is pulley related you could be looking at a big old bill if it fails and launches itself through your radiator.  Either way you can see it drives the power steering pump, which you don't want failing on you mid-overtake for example!

No brainer really, if you are thinking of driving 2500 miles on a car you don't know the history of (and to be honest, FSH doesn't mean that much as there are lots of things not on the service schedule), you owe it to yourself to get that checked out at least.

The 2.0 has a pretty bad reputation (deservedly so) for destroying oil pump drives too.  You might want to comb the service history to see if there is any evidence of that having had any work on it.  

And for your water - if the top of the carpet was wet it was either VERY wet from the pollen filter (as the water goes down the back of the carpet, which is actually a few inches off the bottom of the car) - or it is leaking from somewhere else, like the doors.  If from the pollen filter and you have got a load of water under the carpet, you probably want to get under there and dry it out as otherwise you'll be sorting out lots of damaged wiring (you might have that to look forward to anyway, as you don't know how long it has been leaking for).

If you want the proper sealing cord for the filter I can send you a length - much neater than dousing it in silicon sealant.  Just need some paypal spondoolicas to cover sending it... ;)

Thanks for that! I will definitely bring it down to the station I use next week to get it checked out. Regarding the water-issue - the dampness was on the top of the passenger side carpet area seemed like coming from behind the dashboard, not anywhere else like underneath the seats or at the back. I'll look into this further.

Thanks again for the help!

Thanks, what I'll do is look into the filter next week to see what is going on and get in touch, thanks!

I found when I had a leak coming in the pollen filter that if I felt up just behind the glovebox - at the top of where the carpet ends - there is a foam pad which goes over the wheelarch.  That was fairly sodden.

I guess it depends on your definition of wet.  I caught mine when I had to stamp my feet on the front mats to make a little damp smear come through - when I lifted the carpet I could feel just a few drips here and there.  If the tops of your carpet were quite soggy then it was either the door seal or quite a bit of water underneath.  I think the sequence is that the front gets a little damp, then if uncorrected the back fills up, and then the front fills up.  And then, you might as well start paddling (or cut a periscope hole in the roof!).

I also had water come in through one of the door seals - driver side.  If you have any knowledge of door locks having been fixed, then good chances the doors will leak as the seals between the carrier plate and door frame are fragile.

You can fit a double din unit with no hassle whatsoever. Radio comes out as does cubby hole. You'll need a double din cage and iso converter. The likes of caraudiodirect.Co.UK tell you everything you need.

You can fit a double din unit with no hassle whatsoever. Radio comes out as does cubby hole. You'll need a double din cage and iso converter. The likes of caraudiodirect.Co.UK tell you everything you need.

I believe the cage comes with the new radio, but about the iso converter - is there a chance you can link one so I can see?

Thanks!