installation of the off-market rear parking sensors

Hi, everyone, 

Thanks for your help in advance. I bought a parking sensor kits from ebay recently. I have successfully attached its power to the parking light. However when i am trying to trill the holes at the back of my fabia mk1, i realize inside the bumper there is a metal protection bar inside. It makes it difficult to put the cables through the bumper. Do you guys have some experience on how it should be properly done?  Thanks again. 

There are several elongated holes already in the rear metalwork for sensors.

Assuming you have already started drilling the rubbing strip, I would prise off the rubbing strip (it just clips into place) by (be careful where you have drilled, it may snap in two) starting at one end and carefully pull away from the bumper, obviously you may have to drill the metalwork to accommodate the new already drilled position.

You need to connect the power supply to the reversing light wire, not the parking (indicator) wire.

DB. 

Edited by mogwye

I've been thinking of adding rear sensors for a while and was wondering if it would be possible to set them in the rear rubbing strip instead of the actual bumper and see if it was possible to run the wires into the boot to the reversing light wire.

I recently replaced the rubbing strip and should really have checked then.

It is something I would like to do, my brother has a mk2 fabia and his came as standard and some of the kits I have seen seem good value for money, just need to get on with it I suppose.

Martin

Yes, I have set mine in the rubbing strip, but remove it first to reveal the elongated holes in the metal crash bar where the sensors will fit through, there is also a grommet for the wires to enter the car in the spare wheel well.

They can be fitted without removing the rear valance.

DB.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for jumping onto the thread.

Drilling the bumper strip sounds less dangerous than drilling the bumper and a colour match will be easier.

I will have a look on Ebay next and get some ordered, thanks again.

Martin

Look forward to seeing the finished job, if you do it, please could you post a pictue. I would rather drill into the trim rather than the bumper but I am still worried I may not get the position of the holes right.

Look forward to seeing the finished job, if you do it, please could you post a pictue. I would rather drill into the trim rather than the bumper but I am still worried I may not get the position of the holes right.

As you prise the rubber strip off bit by bit with a wide bladed spatula type of tool, you can mark each elongated hole centre with a pencil as you go, or simply measure and mark, it's simplicity in itself.

DB

• 2 weeks later...

All prepared today to fit the the sensors, bought from Amazon and made sure I had everything else I needed.

I was just going to connect the live feed to the reversing light and for some reason I then decided to check the lights were working, no idea why, but good job I did.

Basics are, no lights, both of them, so it looks like it won't be done today after all.

I could not fathom out which was the correct fuse, so I checked all of the same voltage and I could not find a blown fuse, and the bulbs themselves look ok, I admit, I only looked on the side I was working on, would a blown bulb on the opposite side cause them both not to work, will check after.

Anyway, read on here about a switch on the gearbox, I would not be able to get under the car myself, so looks like a visit to the garage next week, and hope I get time again soon to have another crack at fitting the sensors.

Martin 

Yep, had the ignition on, I had to make sure myself.

Will have another look at the fuse tomorrow, but from reading up it does sound like the switch on the gearbox.

Will have to book it in as I don't have any ramps to check.

Martin

Finally found a detailed picture of the fuses but numbered, and it's not the fuse, So I assume it is the switch, so will have to get it booked in and get them to either check the wires or replace the switch as necessary. 

Hi

Well, the reversing lights are now working again, as expected the wire had broken but right near the plug, so a new one was soldered in and all is now working again.

I am looking to fit the sensors this afternoon, all prepared and ready to go, could somebody just confirm the colour of the reversing light wire please, just to save me a bit of time looking and I want to get it right first time.

Thanks