500+mile tank range possible in Citigo?

Citigouk

So really there are two debates here:

a) does the citigo/up/mii really come with 35litre tank?

B) is 500miles possible from one fill up?

My experience on driving the wife's Citigo ASG for the last month is that I already knew the citigo tank size is more than the stated 35litres (there is a wonder if ours has been built with no UK fuel tank!?), as my last fill up was nearly 43litres..... yes you have to give it some patience on filling up and the weather not too hot.

My last 4 refills have been:

477.60miles from 41.40 litres

472.10miles from 39.47 litres

491.70miles from 42.60 litres

498.60miles from 42.98 litres

http://www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/citigo/2014/zorrosmart/284663

IMG_6993_zpskds9oqbl.jpg

IMG_6994_zpsdnfmzsti.jpg

The driving was a mixture of urban (standstill A13! commuter traffic) and motorways (65-75mph) in ASG citigo.

The question is can 500miles be possible from the Citigo??? I'm getting close

Should be easy for you if you work on your consumption then. I've just filled up at 430 miles as soon as the light came on, with a average of 64mpg for the whole mileage.

motorways ruin it for me unless you can stand the drudgery of 60mph.

Best I got was 461 but that was to the fuel light showing, sure I could have eeked another 39 out of it.. In another thread a possible 600 was being talked about. In that thread they spoke of stuff like free wheeling downhill (knocking out of gear) and slipstreaming vehicles on motorways, err a little OTT me thinks. :yawn:

• Like 1

If in fact there is 43+ L of petrol to burn, then 500 miles should be well within reach :)

I wonder if there are differences in tank volumes? When I fill my Citigo up immediately after the fuel light comes on, I can add about 32 L. Could there be another 11+ L of reserve volume...?!

And as soon fuel pump fails, they claim that fuel pumps are poor quality. They may also say that manufacturer is not good, as they refused to replace fuel pump under warranty.

When the fuel level is low, the pump has to work much harder to produce the same pressure. This is because the reduced fuel weight no longer pushes fuel into the pump. Instead the pump must draw the fuel in. A low fuel level also means less fuel to dissipate heat and lubricate the pump. The combination of an overworked pump, reduced cooling and lubrication will likely damage the fuel pump.

This known truth I borrowed from this site: http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/195 ...because I couldn't tell it better by myself.

dang I let mine run down to 0 miles left in the tank all the time.

I wouldn't worry, our work vans get run down to 0 all the time, our vans usually get replaced at around 300k and none have had fuel pump issues.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry, our work vans get run down to 0 all the time, our vans usually get replaced at around 300k and none have had fuel pump issues.

Should have added a ;)  on my comment.

I ran my mk1 Fabia vrs like this for 108k (remapped too) and never had any issues with the pump (or anything else for that matter).

Even less worried as the car will have a new owner in about 2 months lol

• Like 2

dang I let mine run down to 0 miles left in the tank all the time.

.. and I feel completely vindicated after years of derision from my family about compulsive behaviour, when the tank is 1/4 full I 'need' to fill up straightaway. If I don't then panic sets in ;) .

Interesting and informative read by the way.

• Like 1

I've seen faulty fuel pumps on a petrol car. Fuel pump suffers every time when it runs without resistance (fuel). Risks are higher for that when fuel level is low.

But each to their own.

I can not understand why you want to fill up to the top, you just add weight and then reduce MPG any way!

Negligible in the great scheme of things.