dash cam hardwiring front and rear (pictures please)

seen loads of topics on here about hardwiring in dash cams and I'm just wondering what is needed for front and rear dash cam hardwiring I.E what mini fuses need to be purchased (piggyback fuses etc) where to run my loom for the front and where to run from the rear and where you guys got your ground from pictures would be paramount really thanks peeps

Here's my set up. 2 front cameras (1 looking inside , but out of drivers side window), & a satnav, all permanently wired.  1 rear camera (mini 0806).

cameras%20front_zpsunozhysx.jpg

& rear camera.

camera%20rear_zpsbcvtxl5k.jpg

I decided I wanted my cameras to be on when I was parked up, as I had already been bumped once before, so I wired them via 2 toggle switches situated in the blanks next to the gear stick.

switches2_zpsaxgvzeks.jpg

That way I could switch them on as required.

You will need: I piggyback fuse holder & 1 or 2 12v to 5v converters, from Ebay (cheap as chips)

piggy%20back_zpstlksixki.jpg

12%20to%205v%20converter_zpsafoxvktv.jpg.

I picked up an 12v always on feed from the fusebox

fusebox_zpsh8706n10.jpg

and wired to a 5v regulator which I situated in the drivers side access panel.

ACCESS%20PANEL_zpspget1gpc.jpg

. Wiring runs down windscreen pillar.

For the rear camera, I used a separate 5v converter which I situated underneath the rear seat cushion & ran the wiring along side the plastic trim that holds the carpet down.

wiring%20rear_zpsomgbfsxq.jpg

For grounding, I used any metal chassis, & secured the ground wire with a ring connector & self tapping screw.

Cost in total, using 2 5v converters & the piggy back fuse holder, less than £10.

Switches were from Halfrauds & about a fiver each.

Total time for the job - round about 2 hours.

Only problem has been the Mini 0806 camera - I'm on my 3rd!

• Like 4

Here's my set up. 2 front cameras (1 looking inside , but out of drivers side window), & a satnav, all permanently wired.  1 rear camera (mini 0806).

cameras%20front_zpsunozhysx.jpg

& rear camera.

camera%20rear_zpsbcvtxl5k.jpg

I decided I wanted my cameras to be on when I was parked up, as I had already been bumped once before, so I wired them via 2 toggle switches situated in the blanks next to the gear stick.

switches2_zpsaxgvzeks.jpg

That way I could switch them on as required.

You will need: I piggyback fuse holder & 1 or 2 12v to 5v converters, from Ebay (cheap as chips)

piggy%20back_zpstlksixki.jpg

12%20to%205v%20converter_zpsafoxvktv.jpg.

I picked up an 12v always on feed from the fusebox

fusebox_zpsh8706n10.jpg

and wired to a 5v regulator which I situated in the drivers side access panel.

ACCESS%20PANEL_zpspget1gpc.jpg

. Wiring runs down windscreen pillar.

For the rear camera, I used a separate 5v converter which I situated underneath the rear seat cushion & ran the wiring along side the plastic trim that holds the carpet down.

wiring%20rear_zpsomgbfsxq.jpg

For grounding, I used any metal chassis, & secured the ground wire with a ring connector & self tapping screw.

Cost in total, using 2 5v converters & the piggy back fuse holder, less than £10.

Switches were from Halfrauds & about a fiver each.

Total time for the job - round about 2 hours.

Only problem has been the Mini 0806 camera - I'm on my 3rd!

are those mini cameras crap? as i wanted to buy the 0805 :( ??? thanks for all this chap really appreciate it 

Take a look at the möbius tom, I've got one for rear and it's pretty decent for the price. Also if your passing hollins road this weekend I've got 2 piggy back fuses you can have.

are those mini cameras crap? as i wanted to buy the 0805 :( ??? thanks for all this chap really appreciate it 

I believe the 0805 camera has a better reliability record than the 0806. I finally decided that it wasn't the camera playing up, just the base. My problems were:- no or intermittent GPS, or crackly sound.

I've finally solved the problem (I think) by hard wiring the camera to the base - and so far after a couple of months the camera is fine.

The video quality of the 0806 is superb - far better than my other 2 cameras (Nextbase 402g & Mio Mivue 5) & with 2 sd slots of up to 128Gb each, plenty of recording time.

• Like 1

I use the Mini 0801 and don't have any problems with them, been using them over a year now

http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Original-Ambarella-Recorder-Resolution-DVR/dp/B00F5WP990

Lot's of clips here that I use with my pupils as examples, you might be able to decide on the quality and if it's for you

http://www.evodt.co.uk/videos

• Like 2

I use the Mini 0801 and don't have any problems with them, been using them over a year now

http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Original-Ambarella-Recorder-Resolution-DVR/dp/B00F5WP990

Lot's of clips here that I use with my pupils as examples you might be able to decide on the quality and if it's for you

http://evodt.co.uk/videos 

Link doesn't work (bottom one). Would like to see your videos.

• Like 1

thanks boys have the next base 420g for the front and just want a rear cam (maybe mini 0805) and one for getting hit side on as some Basta*d side swiped me and drove off in a carpark the other week so need some ideas for a camera for that 

Virtually impossible to get 360 degree coverage (I have been accused of 'Going over the top' by having a 3rd camera to monitor events inside the cabin & through the driver's side windows).

Where do you draw the line?

The Mio Mivue is a nice cheap camera with full HD Video & it seems very reliable.

Link working now. Good quality videos & good post production editing.

Not sure why the link wasn't working, I just copied and pasted it the same as any other, very odd! Glad you got it working though and thanks for the nice comment, I only used Windows Movie Maker, took a long time planning when to start stop the captions though!!

Re hardwiring: I did it slightly differently, as I wanted to be able to use the camera's own power/charger lead. I used the same piggy back fuse but instead of a voltage converter, I used a trailing ciggy lighter socket, and plugged straight into that. There's plenty of room behind the trim around the fuse box or below the steering wheel for the charger unit to be hidden. I mounted the camera alongside the rear view mirror, I'd chosen a camera with a foldaway screen, mainly so it didn't distract the driver, particularly at night!

It was easy to hide/lose the wiresbehind the front edge of the headlining, down the A pillar behind the door seal and under the dash to the fuse box area. I hate visible or loose wires!

BTW, piggy back fuses are brilliant, I also used one to power the receiver head for the after market rear parking sensors I fitted

Malcolm

Edited by Baxlin
  • Like 1

I just gave it a good pull and it came away, I didn't have any trim tools. If I remember it should slide up towards the roof a little so the clips don't break, it's been a while so I can remember fully sorry. I know it wasn't too much of a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can I get some recommendations for a decent 1080p dash cam with GPS please.

I have a drivepro 200 which is good but no GPS which is on my windscreen hard wired but I intend to shift it to the rear and put a GPS unit in the front. Budget of about £100

Cheers, Jon

Can I get some recommendations for a decent 1080p dash cam with GPS please.

I have a drivepro 200 which is good but no GPS which is on my windscreen hard wired but I intend to shift it to the rear and put a GPS unit in the front. Budget of about £100

Cheers, Jon

if you can squeeze a bit extra of 100 get the next base 420g has a speedo gauge aswell as gps 

I was looking at the 302g along with the 402g, I've also looked at the drivepro 220 which is a real contender as I could just switch the camera at the front without having to rewire with a different power input. Just a case of routing the new wiring to the back for my existing dp200. Opinions welcome

402G ****

Yeah i bought this unit, ended up buying the 202G mount tho for it to sit behind the rearview mirror without me seeing it when im driving, im going to use a piggy back fuse on an ignition live fuse and run a wire and female socket to behind the glove box and put a 3 way adapter inside the glove box and then run the wire from the glovebox up the a frame to the unit, means ill have extra sockets to charge phones and other things when travelling.

• Like 1