dash cam hardwiring front and rear (pictures please)

For a reasonable budget 1080p dashcam with GPS, I reckon the Mio Mivue takes some beating. Fairly low profile & very reliable. (so far).

Nextbase 402g is OK but its an ugly brute that won't fit behind the drivers mirror. Also on mine GPS is bit  temperamental  & then the digital speed read out/compass rose reverts to showing the road ahead.

I heard the mivue bracket isn't that great and the camera can wobble, is that something you have noticed?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

No not at all. It's a suction mount with a ball & socket joint which locks very positively. Can post some footage if you want?

Anyone know how you remove the pillar on the driver side windscreen that goes up to the roof baffled

If all you want to remove it for is to route the wire, there's no need to, honest. It's dead easy to take wire across the top of the screen, behind the front edge of the headlining, then behind the top edge of the A pillar cover, then ease it behind the door seal down to below the dashboard. IIRC, the only tool I used for this bit of the installation was the back end of a teaspoon!

HTH

Malcolm

As far as I am aware the Mini 0806 is currently not available. At least not from any reputable supplier. A damn shame because it is capable of amazing quality video. It has been let down by poor assembly & inadequate QC. I sourced mine from an Amazon supplier who shipped direct from China, & consequently only covered by Amazon's 30 day replacement/cancellation policy.

I'm on my 3rd replacement camera with a down time of 5-8 weeks in between replacements, & each replacement has been faulty!

I cant be 4rsed any more & have 'sorted' the problem myself, touch wood! Has now been 6 weeks & still going strong.

It is available on Amazon WINGONEER[emoji768] Mini 0806 A7 1296P GPS G-Sensor Ambarella Car Security Cam Dash Camera https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UFQEVIG/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_GMGTvb5FDVXQK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UFQEVIG/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_GMGTvb5FDVXQK if this is the correct item, also available on eBay which is where techmoan recommends....

What were your problems and subsequent fix?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is available on Amazon WINGONEER[emoji768] Mini 0806 A7 1296P GPS G-Sensor Ambarella Car Security Cam Dash Camera https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UFQEVIG/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_GMGTvb5FDVXQK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UFQEVIG/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_GMGTvb5FDVXQK if this is the correct item, also available on eBay which is where techmoan recommends....

What were your problems and subsequent fix?

Maybe the 3rd generation cameras are of better build quality. Certainly there are a lot of 1st & 2nd release cameras still being sold. I suspect mine is at the best 2nd generation.

My problems have been:-

1st camera - No or very intermittent GPS

2nd camera - Slightly better GPS but still slow to lock -on & quick to drop out. This one also had distorted & crackly sound.

3rd camera. - No GPS.  Out of focus on everything more than 20 feet away. Crackly sound & Internal battery not always charging.

I came to the conclusion that all the faults (except the focus problem) were due to the new (improved?) base not making proper contact with the camera contacts. initially I tried the recommended fix of inserting a thin paper shim in between the camera base mount parts, so that it was a tighter fit. It made the situation worse. Finally I decided to wire the base & camera together using thin enamel coated copper wire. 

RESULT:- Constant GPS, quick to latch on & no distorted sound & battery charges OK. DISADVANTAGE - I can no longer remove camera from mount, but I can live with that.

Out of focus was cured by diassembling the camera & refocussing the lens & then 'locking' it in position with nail varnish - I found shocking pink was best.

AFAIK the 3rd gen cameras are of better build quality, overheating was a common issue when I was reading up, that seems to be cured with extra vents. The internal battery, at best, only works for 5mins and that seems to be the 'norm'. The focus issue seems to be rectified too and is made better by using a CPL filter. The GPS taking a while to 'lock' on a position seems to be a common problem which continues on the 3rd gen, no talk of it dropping out though. Of course, this is all from what I have read, I have no first hand experience.

I like the idea of doing your own wiring fix. It wouldn't bother me not being able to remove the camera, I never take my current one out. Unfortunately though I would not have a clue were to start with that one, I'm not confident soldering etc.

I would never dream of opening the unit to adjust the focus, that is way beyond me. I would consider splashing a bit of shocking pink varnish on it somewhere though!

Thanks for such a good response vRSforever