Not the best start!

yesterday afternoon I collected my TSI 1.2 having part exchanged it for my 1.6 diesel estate. It had been driven to my local garage by one of the staff as it was in a garage over a hundred miles away. I didn't test drive it myself as I'd driven an identical car when I went to part exchange last week. Anyway, all was fine driving through town but when I got onto open road it started pulling to the left. When I got home I looked at the Used Vehicle Pre-Inspection Report and noticed that the NSF tyre was marked at 4 whereas the other three were 6 and 7. That seemed odd for a start, so I came onto the forum and saw all the posts about this same problem.

I would have thought the lad who drove it back would have noticed it wasn't right! Rang the garage a few minutes ago. The earliest they can see the car is next Friday. I was assured there will be nothing to pay. Any advice for what I should expect from them and what to look out for when I collect it next week?

• Like 1

Do not accept that.

They handed over what basically is an unsafe car.

ATS Euromaster & other Tyre & Exhaust Centres are open today,

tell them they can arrange for you to go get a pair of new tyres fitted, or send out a Mobile Tyre Fitter or come and collect your car and drop off another. but deal with it today or Monday at their expense you are not driving with this tyre in the rain possibly until Friday.

Ask to speak with the Dealer Principal.

Maybe check the Tyre Pressures and see how they are set & how well they checked the car before they handed it over.

PS

'They' or just the person on the end of the phone is taking the P!th.

Maybe the Dealer Principal, Sales Executive / Salesperson or some employee can come and collect your car later today,

and drop off the dealerships 'perk' they have as their daily drive,and have your car until they have time on Friday to deal with it.

yesterday afternoon I collected my TSI 1.2 having part exchanged it for my 1.6 diesel estate. It had been driven to my local garage by one of the staff as it was in a garage over a hundred miles away. I didn't test drive it myself as I'd driven an identical car when I went to part exchange last week. Anyway, all was fine driving through town but when I got onto open road it started pulling to the left. When I got home I looked at the Used Vehicle Pre-Inspection Report and noticed that the NSF tyre was marked at 4 whereas the other three were 6 and 7. That seemed odd for a start, so I came onto the forum and saw all the posts about this same problem.

I would have thought the lad who drove it back would have noticed it wasn't right! Rang the garage a few minutes ago. The earliest they can see the car is next Friday. I was assured there will be nothing to pay. Any advice for what I should expect from them and what to look out for when I collect it next week?

If it's a Monte you've bought then it was a common problem, I've just traded my Monte Tech in for a Fabia estate which drives as straight as an arrow compared to the Monte.

I bought the Monte new and all was fine for about 3-4 months then the pulling started, it went back to the dealers who had to do loads of alignment and geometry checks as per Skoda UK then they fitted 4 x brand new Pirelli PZero tyres blaming the Dunlop Sport tyres that were originally fitted.

Apparently the Dunlops were uni directional and that's what caused the pulling, I'm still convinced it was more to do with the Monte's standard suspension and steering set up not being suited to the 17" wheels and tyres as it was never completely cured.

Don't be fobbed off if they try to say they all do it as they don't, my dealers were great and admitted that they had already had a couple of Montes in for the same problem.

Thanks for the quick responses.

The car is not a Monte. It's a 1.2 hatchback. It was one of a batch of lease/hire cars that Arnold Clark buys back so I'm guessing that all the people who hired it didn't bother reporting the pull to the left.

I don't need to use the car again till next Friday so no worries there. I didn't realise it could be that serious, so thank you.

• Like 1

Regardless of the Pulling to the Left faults which was not a Directional Tyre issue or a Dunlop Sport Maxx 205/40 R17 fault,

only that they showed the issue up more, and fitting Pirelli Zero Nero 205 /40 R 70 disguised it,

but did not sort out the badly aligned geometry from the factory on UK right hand drive cars, that needs adjusted.

The 4 mil tyre needs changing as you know, and see how the tyre pressures are all around.

Is it on 16" wheels?

'Arnold Clark' says all that needs saying about the supplying Dealership.

'Caveat emptor'.

Yes, 16 wheels

To be exact: Bridgestone 205/45 R 16 83W

If I sound completely ignorant, it's because I am! All I want is for my car to be as reliable and safe as possible. Just have to trust that people are honest but that's an ideal world. I'll need to borrow a friend's husband to come with me on Friday! Thank goodness I found this forum

• Like 1

With an Arnold Clark Dealership you want to record everything they say, and anything they tell you ask the person to put that in writing and give their name and sign it.

But luckily you are on Briskoda, and seeing as how there is always an Arnold Clark Employee someplace reading posts and threads,

you just need to Name & Shame the particular dealership if there is an issue.

They speak with Forked Tongue & are sometimes related to Pinocchio ,

but you are forewarned which is good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Clark

• Like 1

LOL,

The are driven off the ship not lifted off by hoist.

It is a 'Used Car', with a worn tyre, maybe kerbed or hit a pot hole, and maybe the good tyre was one that has been replaced sometime and the worn one is the original, or just run at the wrong pressure.

The most you can expect from Arnold Clark is that a Pair of Matching New tyres get fitted, 

and the car gets an Alignment check and any adjustment done.

Which is unlikely to be done very well in a AC workshop.

After all they have the Training Facilities for Techs and Fitters, which says it all.

'GTG Training'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Clark

The Arnold Clark mantra.

'I did not get where i am today wasting money checking or changing tyres before selling a car'.

Every car coming off that ship will be coming down the ramps.

It is a used car, the OP was told that they buy back. 

Which they do,.  and they have Hire / Demos / Motability / Fleet / Driving School cars etc etc,  which is why they have so many dealerships and punt so many used cars and are the biggest Family Owned Dealership Group in Europe.

The Pre Delivery Inspection might well be done, and the tyre with less tread noticed,

then the car is supposedly driven 100 miles by a driver, maybe hitting a pot hole.

AC move hundreds even thousands of cars a week, and usually by transporter, but plenty do get driven across the country,

even brand new ones back and fore between Edinburgh & Glasgow.

Anything AC Staff tell you needs taken with a pinch of salt.