Monte Carlo Poor MPG

Hi All 

Have a 1.2 tsi Monte which seem to be struggling with a decent mpg. I regularly do trios to wales and driving sensibly and sticking to the speed limits I tend to only get about 40mpg whilst the combined figures shows as 53.

My old 1.4td roomster had a combined of 55 and I could get 60 and my wife's current fabia and old fabia were also 53 and I can get around 52 with these.

Anyone got ideas as to why I can' t get near the combined mpg on this 1 but can on all the others. Means we take the wifes car to wales as much better mpg and would rather take mine.

Thanks

Glenn

Are you getting the 40 mpg figure from Brim to Brim checking on these trips and actual fuel used or going by the Cars Computer when doing short journeys & longer journeys.?

I would think if the car is properly serviced and the tyre pressures correct, then the trip and doing a Brimming to Brimming of the tank should give you the accurate showing of how much the car uses, and if there is an issue.

Which 1.2 TSI,  86 or 105 ps.

and what tyres are on it?

It is good that the other cars can get the 'Combined Consumption' MPG,

but the figures published have nothing to do with actually using a car on the road. Sometimes its just they are similar to the real world.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have calculated brim to brim which matched the onboard readout.

It's a 105 with variable service and has done it since I owned the car and after the service as well.

Standard tyres 205/40 17

• Like 1

Some of the brands of tyres even though all 205/40 R 17 can make a couple of MPG difference up or down, 

but that still does not account for a really poor mpg.

On variable servicing it will have VW 504 00 which is 5w30 Full Synthetic Castrol or Quantum III Long Life Oil.

Maybe have the car changed over to Fixed Servicing at 9,400 (10,000) miles at the next service, 

and then use VW 502 00,  5w 40 Full Synthetic Oil.

You might find that the Economy Improves.

(others will say it makes no difference but it does IME, and even more on some cars if its 0w 30 Full Synthetic used)

When I got the car it had continentals on it, which gave the same mpg. Due to the nice pot holes and low profile tyres I ended up with 3 bulged tyres so got all 4  replaced from a friend in the trade who checked the mpg specs. Now running falken which the car does not pull to the left and the mpg has stayed the same

• Like 1

When a 1.2 TSI 105 ps gets 40 mpg as an average over the longer term how low does the fuel consumption

get if doing sort journeys in town and not really getting the engine up to temp.  

What sort of miles out of a tank fill. (10 gallons or so) ?

Is that indicated or actual? I use Fuelly to work out my actual average MPG of 40, whereas the Maxidot usually reads 43-44

Both. I'm usually just looking at the car read out but when I've worked it out its been much the same.

It's been noted many times on BRISKODA and for different models that Skoda(VW)) engines take several thousand miles to reach peak fuel efficiency. In fact, yesterday I worked out my 36,000 mile Yeti's consumption from litres purchased and it's around 38 mpg since new. HOWEVER the last 4 months (7000 miles) consumption has been 42 mpg which illustrates the point.

The 1.6 diesel should easily do around 50 mpg as the miles increase, it's good to keep a check because there could be something wrong (eg blocked air filter) which you would be prompted to investigate.

Love my families Skodas!