Knocking through steering wheel.

Hi folks,

so, just nipped along to ADSA and noticed a slight knocking/clicking sound/sensation through the steering wheel when I was turning the wheel whilst stationery.

On moving at slow speed it was the same.

Any thoughts? A wee google search seemed to suggest a strut top bearing? The cars only got 40k miles on the clock.

What are folks opinions / experiences (and potential costs!)?

Cheers guys. 

Got my daughter to rock the steering wheel back and forth and I put my hand on each front wheel. I could feel the knocking through both tyres. It's not horrendous, but I could feel it.

Does that fit with strut bearing? I would have thought it would only be felt through the side the bearing was away on?

I'm not mechanically minded at all unfortunately.

Hope it's not a rack, from memory that's expensive. Bought it with just a few thousand on the clock from a guy that worked in the city, having been kept in the south east. I only ever use it on motorway / A class road since I bought it. Never kerbed, maybe one or two pot holes, but nothing more than any other car I've had. I'll be very disappointed if it is all shot given those conditions.

Will find out soon enough!

Hi all, I had a 'knock' from my steering a few months back which was the steering rack, if you wobble the steering wheel from left to right it was quite a pronounced knock. I managed to find a brand new rack on eBay for £250. I did have a quote from a garage of £1400

Mechanic friend had a look today, had it up on the ramp. He couldn't see anything so is putting it on the flatbed ramp so there's weight on the wheels to have a proper look, on Monday.

He thinks the noise is coming from the rack...:-(

Edited by scottishcammy

****......finally got the mechanic to put it up on the ramp. It's the bloody steering rack.

He says the knocking is coming from inside it and it's an internal failure.

I'm totally sick, 40,000 miles. He's going to price one from tps.

Ok folks, how much are we talking here from folks worth previous experience?

He's an independent mechanic, so also wondering if it needs a skoda garage of it needs recoded (does it?).

Thoroughly depressed.

Hiya am getting this knocking on drivers front side just had the drop links replaced with had some play in but now when I bounce the front of the car up and down on the fron you can hear that same noise so where can I get a new bearing / top mount from ? Thanks Matt

Try TPS,GSF or Euro car parts.

Hiya am getting this knocking on drivers front side just had the drop links replaced with had some play in but now when I bounce the front of the car up and down on the fron you can hear that same noise so where can I get a new bearing / top mount from ? Thanks Matt

The garage I took it to is closed at the moment, so taking it to a Skoda garage on Friday.

However, I would really appreciate if anyone knows a wee bit about replacing a steering rack/costs, etc could maybe post their experiences here?

The car was registered in Dec 2011, and am wondering if it's an electric steering rack? I've looked around on breakers / ebay, but obviously I need to know if it's the right part, and there seems to be a myriad of different types.

If anyone has/had the same model of car and had to have a rack replaced, I'd love to hear some details.

On one post I read a chap paying about £1,500 - £2,000 all in (bloody hell!) but a quick search of breakers / ebay and it seems you can pick one up for between £100 / £200 (that's what comes up ffor my model of car, but am wondering are they definitely the correct racks?).

Also, does the rack need to be coded?

Thanks in advance.