Bkd 2.0 tdi egr boost pipe octavia mk2

Hi all

Just joined, use to have a passat and a avid member of UK passats forum.

Just changed to an octavia after my passat was written off by a lorry :-(

Anyway after cleaning the egr today when driving home and giving it the beans up a hill there was a loud pop and the car started shuddering and lost power.

I stopped ans sure enough the boost pipe.off the egr had come off, I had to nurse it home as it was dark and couldn't sort it on the road

Any idea how to sort this and what may have caused this?

It's going upto the lake district in a few weeks so.could do without this on the motorway.

Any help is much appreciated

Cheers folks

I can't see how that pipe has come off. Is it possible you havnt had the metal push clip on properly? I cleaned mine up a few weeks back and i did find trying to get that clip onto the pipe a bit arkward. It took a few goes to get it on.

You could try a new clip. It just sits in a ridge around the joint in the pipe. So it can only be a bad clip, wear in the pipe joint or the egr itself but it'd be unlikely. It shouldn't have popped off.

It won't do it any favours. It's cooled air from the i/c. You'll most likely have a cel light on down on power the engine will be dragging in air plus all kinds of other nasty stuff. I wouldn't recommend loctiting it on either that clip should be more than strong enough to hold that pipe on.

Got any pictures?

I remember from cleaning my EGR and ASV the clip on this either works or it doesn't. It locks around a lip on the metal part of the ASV.  Sounds as though the clip could be shot. Looks like you've sorted with the new clip anyhow.

Do you have VCDS to test errors and such?

Would be worth trying the SEAT EGR reducer gasket.  This seems to help a bit on idle smoothness on some. Part number 028131547B

Sounds like you could do with nipping up the bolts on the pipe leading to the EGR at least, or perhaps replacing the gasket if it's leaking. It should be pretty air tight....unless you mean the rubber vacuum pipe, if that hissing find the leak and replace the pipe etc.

Good opportunity to get the SEAT reducer gasket ;)

I'd really avoid getting water on any of those parts or pipes, since the next step is compression chamber and water doesn't like to compress!

You could test the ASV by removing the boost pipe and cycling the ignition a few times whilst using a mirror to watch the ASV opening and closing. 

Further pics and info:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/212548-egr-valve-cleaning/#entry2976928

PS: cel is Check Engine Warning Light. 

Edited by Plantman

Ha that's the exact post I used to do the work

Cel- cheers didn't know that abbreviation

The bolts where done up as tight as possible.

The pipe going into the egr on the right is fine

It's the rubber pipe, that's where the hiss is from nothing too loud but when I pushed it further in the hiss stopped it moves a bit but won't come out without taking clip off.

Cheers for all your input on this

So is this hiss coming from the small vacuum pipe on the left hand side going to the reservoir or is this the large intake pipe coming up from the intercooler at the bottom? The one with large circlip holding it in place when attached to the ASV?

I'd try removing, cleaning both mating surfaces and ensuring that clip goes back fully home. Sounds like it's not sealing doesn't it. This could cause the flat spot. I dont think they are cheap either, so go easy on that clip :)

Also, IIRC there was a small gasket on the lip of the hose to improve the seal. Make sure that is still there.

Picture here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-OCTAVIA-A3-2-0-TDI-TURBO-INTERCOOLER-THROTTLE-AIR-BOOST-PIPE-/261959794631?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cfe053fc7

Edited by Plantman

No gasket ring on the pipe.... As there wasn't one on it to begin with and as the car is all skoda serviced I assumed it was done correctly... Put a new one on and all sorted, power back not shuddery drive or flat spots... Happy days many thanks to plantman and meaty for your input

Wowzers! Should have deffo been one there. You can even see the indented ring where it should go! Would never seal properly without one.

Random or what!

Glad you sorted though!  :thumbup:

• Like 1

No gasket ring on the pipe.... As there wasn't one on it to begin with and as the car is all skoda serviced I assumed it was done correctly... Put a new one on and all sorted, power back not shuddery drive or flat spots... Happy days many thanks to plantman and meaty for your input

No problem it's why this forum is so flippin good!! Good shout for the sealing ring as well i didn't think of that...