Superchips Bluefin map

I wondered if there was any interest in this?

Had a bluefin map on my pre FL VRS TDi Mark II estate (purchased new in November 2007) but removed it prior to sale in March of this year.

It cost £300+ back then (think I bought it after I'd covered 1000 miles) and never had any trouble. Made a big difference in all areas, even mpg, where I was getting over 50mpg all day long. 0-60 came down to around 7.5, perhaps quicker what with almost 200bhp. The shove from the pd engine was immense :)

I was going to return it to Superchips for a 25% discount on a replacement for my new mark 3 Elegance but I've decided 150bhp is enough for me.

My question is, would it just work on another Mark II VRS TDi? I believe it would but if anyone knows otherwise please advise. I'm going to try the classifieds first (no idea what to ask, £100?) and/or an eBay auction.

Any advice appreciated or if someone wants to make me an offer I'm all ears...

Sorry if this breaches any rules. I am a freedom member so could just post on the classifieds but figured worth an ask first.

Cheers.

Is this worth trying? Someone bring me their VRS, plug in bluefin, apply map, if it works, then all good and can advertise accordingly (having removed the map again of course coz I know one can't keep reapplying the map to loads of cars).

If it doesn't work then keep the bluefin in case I change my mind about wanting more power..

Any volunteers willing to travel to saffron walden?

Tbh I have never seen these 2nd hand for sale however this would be a MASSIVE downfall for bluefin if this does work as a few mates all with same cars same engine all club together and get one machine cheap upload to everyone's car and cheap easy map hahaha

You can't apply the map to more than one car, that's for sure, the bluefin knows whether the map has been applied or not.

My question is whether the map that is on the bluefin (previously applied to my car but removed) would work on anther identical model?

If so then it's a cheap upgrade for someone.

It's quite possible Superchips have sussed this but I can't find any info on this, not without asking Superchips direct of course.

This wont work, you can easily make a brick out of your ECU if you try so (and the map is initially accepted to write on the ecu).

Been there, done that.

Had a PD 170 that got a new ECU after one of the injectors died (was one of the first to have that happen, way before the injector swap was done by VAG!).

Tried to upload the Bluefin after the ECU was new and bricked it. Fortunately got another new ECU on warranty and didnt bother to do the bluefin route again (read the new ECU and send it to SuperChips).

As I was going to sell the VRS.

The map is coupled to the VIN of the car and the ECU (as far as I know) that was why it didnt work when I uploaded it to the newer ECU.

So, better dont try this and if you want to use the Bluefin device on another car, contact SuperChips first. (changing to another car will cost you a pretty high fee though. Because they changed the Prices to take the Bluefin to another car.

After the VRS I had the Bluefin resetted and used it (with other maps) on my first A6 3.0TDI. But back then, it only costed me around 200 GBP. Meanwhile they ask silly numbers to do the same.

you can either sell it "requires reset by Superchips" - but it's worth SFA - GBP50 tops.  Or you can spend the money on getting it reset & it's worth that money + GBP50 (at most).  I'm pretty sure you have to remove the tune off the previous vehicle as part of the deal.

If the tune has been on for <12months they will reset it FOC.  (they do down here)

• Like 1

You would also lose first step which is to back up your ECU! When applying Bluefin the first stage is to back up your default current values.  So if the remap did go on, you could also never go back. Part of the feature set is the ability to return to stock as and when you please (servicing, mot etc)

PS: I did get a price from Bluefin (2014) as to the cost to swap to another car:

"If you change your car to another one for which we offer bluefin, it is possible to have your handset reconfigured by us at a preferential rate. Within the first year, as long as you uninstall it from the original car, it is free (only return carriage is payable if it cannot be done online and you have to send it back to us); after a year it depends, but typically £225 inc. VAT for another turbo application. "

So, not cheap, I think you save about £100.

So what they are doing is killing off the possible second hand market for these.

HTH

I doubt there's a lot of cost in the handset & you'd be hoping that the bulk of the R&D money goes into the actual tune.

I know the lack of resale value is one of the reasons I decided against upgrading to a custom tune.