Felicia LXI Boot Lock Needs Repair/Replacement

Hello, 

Car: Felicia LXI 5DR

The boot lock is not responding to the key.

The lock catch can be released from the inside, so the mechanics of that seem OK.

But the key appears to have no connection to the lock mechanism, so the boot cannot be opened or locked with the key.

This is a sudden failure, the car has not experienced anything like this before.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Gideon

GideonMiller

I guess you can still rotate and push the key in the lock, right?

Being a sudden failure, the most common culprit is part 1 shown in illustration below. It is bent or broken. I repaired mine 2 years ago. Part 1 pushes part 2 which in turn translates part 3. If you are lucky, part 3 got out on one side. Given the facts, you'll see why spraying "wd40 in there and around lock" will have zero results.

OgGdFRO.jpg

RicardoM - thanks very much for your reply, and the diagram.

Yes, I can still rotate and push the key in the lock without a problem.

How did you repair yours? By opening up the lock and repairing or replacing Part 1?

When you say Part 3 'got out on one side' do you mean it may have become detached from Part 2 and needs re-attaching (if I'm lucky).

Thanks again

Gideon

In my case, the L shaped piece got broken. I cut and filed a similar one from some steel sheet (computer case). IIRC the original piece was riveted so I drilled the rivet, tapped the hole and used an M3 screw to fix the L piece.

Note: the faulty piece got broken due to excessive force needed to push part 2. You need to examine why that happened, otherwise the L piece will break again.

When you say Part 3 'got out on one side' do you mean it may have become detached from Part 2 and needs re-attaching (if I'm lucky).

Yes, it's like a spherical socket that snaps out or breaks.

Edited by RicardoM

Hello Ricardo

Can you please help me understand how Part 1 drives Part 2?

I've had a look at my lock and as far as I can see nothing is broken.

Part 1 seems ok, it responds when the key is turned in the lock.

One side of Part 2 had become detached from the hard plastic fitting.

Part 3 seems OK too. 

Looking at the diagram is seems that the 'L' shape of Part 2 remains outside of the plastic fitting, but I can't see how it should be connected to Part 1.

Am I missing the 3 O rings which are on the right of the Part 2 in the diagram?

Thanks for your help.

Gideon

Part 1 hits part 2 (at the tip of blue arrow) only when they key is rotated 90 deg. and pushed.

In turn entire part 2 rotates clockwise around hinge 3. The spherical joint 4 rotates clockwise too which in turn, because it's fitted in the plastic socket 5, pushes downward the rod that ultimatelly releases the latch of the trunk,

On the right side of the diagram there is a circlip, a washer, and a seal that hold the key lock in place.

hswHHWl.jpg

Glad to hear that, but the idea on this forum is to share with us what was wrong and how did you fix it. Somebody else might have the same problem...

I was trying too hard to fit Part 1 into or around Part 2. I thought they somehow had to be attached.

But actually it's simpler than that and once you pointed out that Part 1 only touches Part 2 once the key is turned and pushed I realized that all I had to do was re-attach Part 2 and make sure Parts 4 and 5 were also attaching and moving. 

The lock mechanism takes care of the rest.