Howdy, 

First off I'm referring to an R reg (1998) 1.3 MPI 

I know this has already been asked however I've looked over the other threads on the stock air box and cannot see anything relating to the third pipe I seem to see coming out of it. I know one goes to the bumper and another gets hot air from the exhaust for cold times or something similar but there appears to be another pipe which I'm unsure of its purpose. 

I'm asking because I've got a k&n cone filter (I realise I won't get any gain, I just fancied doing it for the looks) and currently it's sitting inside the stock box (without lid) with some rather shoddy temp piping. I'm wondering if I remove the box altogether, what the downside to this would be (other than the cold cold days but as tom (I think) mentioned on another thread its unlikely to be that cold in England) and should I leave the tubing attached to the other areas and just disconnect it from the box before removal?

I can try and get a picture of the third pipe that I mean if I've not (which i do believe I havn't) explained myself properly.

Sorry for the rather scattered questions.

(I just realised I've posted this in the wrong part, great start me..)

Edited by rootM

Crankcase breather?

I've no idea what that is off the top of my head.

I've just had another look and I feel like I'm going crazy, I can now only find two pipes going in, there is however an awkward hidden bolt (I assume) holding it in on the left hand side...

My question about leaving the other pipes in place however is still up for grabs if anyone has a response ;) 

Sorry for the double post but I can't seem to edit my post anymore :/ 

Update:
Removed the whole box now, just had to wiggle it over a few spikes :P
Cuurently testing out positions and found if I remove the pipe from the bumper I can get the filter close to the hole it came from anyway and that way its further from the engine (sorta). Gotta insulate the pipe still (any suggestions? I'm thinking some form of insulation tape though I'd rather it not be shiny) and gonna build a small sheaf(spelling?) to go round it and figure out where to attach it to the bodywork but for now here is what I have. I will be extending the downward facing pipe further so it utilises all the space.

5czuqp.jpg

Still the obvious of what on earth do I do with that pipe coming from the exhaust?

The dark grey flexi with the plastic end by the alternator? That's only a hot air pipe, so you can horse it.

I assumed it was the one mentioned somewhere else coming from the exhaust. 

what do you mean by horse it?

Edited by rootM

Yes you can bin that flexi pipe that goes to the exhaust, normally there is a thermostatic bypass type valve in the standard airbox that allows warm air collected from over the exhaust manifold into the air intake, the climate in the uk doesn't really get cold enough for it to be any problem if it's removed.

normally there is a thermostatic bypass type valve in the standard airbox that allows warm air collected from over the exhaust manifold into the air intake

I did notice the valve-flap-springy-thingTM at the bottom of the airbox, I was thinking I could incorperate it if I made a new box but for now I'm just keeping all the stock stuff to one side in case I ever need to swap it back in. How often would the warm air be used? Would it only be when its below a certain temp?

Edited by rootM

I did notice the valve-flap-springy-thingTM at the bottom of the airbox, I was thinking I could incorperate it if I made a new box but for now I'm just keeping all the stock stuff to one side in case I ever need to swap it back in. How often would the warm air be used? Would it only be when its below a certain temp?

Yes. It's less of an issue with fuel injection engines, but with a carburetor engine you could encounter icing with (manual) preheater in "Summer", high relative humidity and an air temperature around 7 to 10C.