Howdy,

Two questions regarding the seats. First, my front passenger seat is bolted still (in the most awkward of positions) I assume from stock it came with sliders and some numpty broke it and "fixed it" but sticking it in place. Or was a stationary passenger front seat a feature in the LXi?

Second, I'm considering buying some mg zr seats (black and yellow if you're curious) from ebay because a) drivers seat is completely shot and B) they're pretty.. for the front I'm gonna get some sliders bolted in place which I'm under the impression I can do with a little bit of work but for the back, I'm wondering if they'll even fit. Without taking out the back seats of mine (or I could probably try with them in there) I've no idea the dimensions so I was wondering If I was to take them out completly and stick in a different set of back seats (given that they fitted) would I need to do much else (if the seatbelt points lined up?) or do you think it would be too much work (for someone that has no idea what they're doing but quite happy and competent with most tools) to get them to fit? 

Regarding the fitting, does anyone know the dimensions or the felicia back seats? or even the mg zr back seats(I asked the guy on ebay but hes not really responding)?

The MG ZR front seats fit so pretty in a Felicia that I would do anything in my power to squeeze the rear seats too. My guess is MG rear seats are wider. You may need help from an upholstery guy though.

The MG ZR front seats fit so pretty in a Felicia that I would do anything in my power to squeeze the rear seats too. My guess is MG rear seats are wider. You may need help from an upholstery guy though.

So if it is wider I have an idea that I could carefully EVER so carefully take a slither out the middle. Little bit of Frankensteining never hurt anyone :P 

On the middle, with an armrest, 1/3 folding, 2/3 folding, it's up to you. But take photos for us. I'm very interested in this entire job.

Oh, a stationary passenger front seat was never a Skoda Felicia "feature", maybe a custom botched job.

Edited by RicardoM

Howdy,

Two questions regarding the seats. First, my front passenger seat is bolted still (in the most awkward of positions) I assume from stock it came with sliders and some numpty broke it and "fixed it" but sticking it in place. Or was a stationary passenger front seat a feature in the LXi?

Second, I'm considering buying some mg zr seats (black and yellow if you're curious)

When you say black and yellow are they the Matrix (sort of yellow and blue check material) or the Monaco's (black with yellow leather inserts)? Just curious, I have a Trophy Yellow ZT-T with blue/yellow Matrix's.

The front seats of both should be mounted on fairly similar runners (though your passenger seat may be bodged) and if your lucky you may only have drill new holes in the runners. Worst case, cutting and welding of brackets would be required.

The back seats on the Felicia come out so easily. If you've never done it just tip the backs down, push the seatbelts out then tip the whole seat forward. About halfway down a flat on the seat bracket lines up with a slot in the floor bracket and they just lift out and hey presto you have a van. It takes less time to do than it took me to write this sentence. Then you can see what you have with the MG seats. It might be easier with a little fettling to swap the covers over, then you can keep the clever Felicia seats.

I'd like to see the results.

Yossarian

I don't think rootM expressed concerns on how difficult would be to take out the back seats. I bet he can do that ABC job blindfolded. But what puzzles me the most is why would you teach him to do such a horrendeous job as 'swapping covers' (?!) I think the shape of the seats and how the seams follow the foam are most important. I am sure rootM doesn't need a yellow/black sack over Felicia's back seat...

Edited by RicardoM

He does say 'if I was to take them out completely' suggesting he hasn't yet done so. I also realise swapping the covers won't be that simple. I admit I was probably understating it by saying 'a little fettling'. Might need a proper upholsterer but it would be the best solution.

From what I can see of the MG seats only the back folds down. It would be a shame to lose the clever Škoda design but cars with different seats front and rear never look good.

I was not referring to difficulty degree of swapping covers, which in itself it's a pig with those endless upholstery clips and wires. I was referring to how ugly would look a cover shaped on a different foam substrate. It's like putting a dress of a voluptous woman on a flat chested, flat bottom woman. The result? A sack and lots of folds.

I take your point and like your analogy! But the MG rear seats are not as voloptous as you might imagine. MG Rover didn't really have the budget to do it properly so whilst the front seats have nice fat side bolsters the rears are just retrimmed Rover seats. I have a ZT-T and the rear seat is quite flat chested and flat bottomed!

I agree it may not be easy but if done well would be better than fitting the whole MG seat which would limit the flexibility of the car. He could use some of the foam out of the MG seat to pad it out if need be. I realise we do now need the services of a professional upholsterer.

When you say black and yellow are they the Matrix (sort of yellow and blue check material) or the Monaco's (black with yellow leather inserts)? Just curious, I have a Trophy Yellow ZT-T with blue/yellow Matrix's.

The front seats of both should be mounted on fairly similar runners (though your passenger seat may be bodged) and if your lucky you may only have drill new holes in the runners. Worst case, cutting and welding of brackets would be required.

The back seats on the Felicia come out so easily. If you've never done it just tip the backs down, push the seatbelts out then tip the whole seat forward. About halfway down a flat on the seat bracket lines up with a slot in the floor bracket and they just lift out and hey presto you have a van. It takes less time to do than it took me to write this sentence. Then you can see what you have with the MG seats. It might be easier with a little fettling to swap the covers over, then you can keep the clever Felicia seats.

I'd like to see the results.

They're the Monaco's yeah, I've seen the Matrix ones but really like the simplicity of the Monaco's. The only concern I face with purchasing these is the guy is in Wales and unwilling to sort out delivery so I'd have to drive to wales for collection. Not really a problem but kinda annoying fitting them all in the car. However removing the back seats could certainly help with that.

It would certainly be a shame to loose the rear seats flexibility but I think the re upholstery option is probably far more effort and money to get it looking decent (I'm assuming) I can compare the look when I have them to see for sure but I'm guessing that's probably the case. 

If the slider and sub on my passenger seat have been completely removed/hacked to pieces where would the best place be to get that frame replaced?

Edited by rootM

I've been googling zr seat frames and the front of the frame is similar with an angled bit that bolts on vertically. The rear fitting less so but the Felicia frames simply have bolts through the runners so you could remove the rear bracket of the MG seat and drill a hole through the runners. This is assuming the runners are the same distance apart, or at least close. No guarantee of that of course but it would be handy.

You'll certainly have no trouble fitting the seats in the back of your Felly if you take the rear seats out (which, of course, you're going to have to do anyway to try and fit the MG seats). I got a whole armchair in mine that wouldn't fit in the ZT-T despite that being 16 feet long. There's much more height in the Škoda, a much more useful space. Though I did once get a 3.3 metre long piece of wood in the MG, I was quite impressed with that.