Hi All,

I have started to get the smell of diesel fumes in my 58 plate 2.0litre 170 bhp DSG superb II.

Any ideas / questions?

Cheers

Have you checked your exhaust for holes/leaks, at the engine manifold especially?  This could be one potential reason?  Could also be aircon system / filters?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Assuming that you mean exhaust fumes. There are multiple places that fumes can leak from in a modern car but a common one for diesels can be a failed EGR valve. As a priority I would check the CO levels in the car if you are unable to get it checked properly in the short term as exhaust gases are not healthy for those inside.

The trick we always used to do in the workshop of the family garage was to get someone to block the end of the exhaust with a rag while another person looks for leaks through the system.

Also, It may not be exhaust gases and could be oil dripping on something hot as Oil fumes smell very similar to diesel fumes.

Edited by Pesmog

Thanks guys, I did put my hand over the exhaust.

Two things happened:-

1/ I burned my hand (apparently modern day engines have hotter exhausts than old minis.

2/ There were no obvious farty noises, indicating to my old mind that there were no leaks.

Or do I put in a new, activated charcoal pollen filter. I don't think that it has been changed in the last 50k miles (80k)on the clock now...)

I have seen diesel or exhaust fumes in many cars

Exhaust fumes into cabin

Flexi pipe on downpipe or DPF

Bad Downpipe/DPF connection onto turbo/manifold

Exhaust manifold itself cracked/loose

EGR piping/seal leaking

Fuel smell into cabin

Fuel filter assembly top

Injectors underneath engine cover

Fuel lines/clips

Get a good torch in there and have a really good look

Failing that get it up on a ramp, undertrays off and look