DIY 1.6tdi Greenline fuel filter change

Quick question, have done a search and I couldn't find anything on a diy 1.6 greenline fuel filter change. There are lots of debates on the vw forums over this & jumping two pumps to purge the system of air, so can anyone confirm please. Once I have changed the fuel filter will turning the ignition on and off several times without starting the engine prime the filter sufficiently to purge air from the system? I don't have access to VCDS to enable this to purge the air. I can hear the pump in the tank briefly when the ignition is switched on before starting.

Thanks  

I was lead to believe that the later CR (Common Rail) engines do not self-prime on the ignition as the older PD (Pumpe Duse) engines do.

Cycling the ignition on the PD purges the system, this won't work on the CR. As you say VCDS is required.

There are however a few examples of people being very careful when removing the filter and allowing plenty of time for the old filter to drain back into the fuel filter housing - therefore ensuring the level of fuel stays high. This then reduces the likelihood of there being problems with fuel starvation.

The sound of the fuel pump on our 2.0 PD140 is very obvious when turning on the ignition. I can't hear anything on our 2.0 CR140.

You say that you can hear it on your 1.6 CR105?

Edited by silver1011

The sound of the fuel pump on our 2.0 PD140 is very obvious when turning on the ignition. I can't hear anything on our 2.0 CR140....

The fuel pump on our CR170 is very noisy intemittently. I had it checked and there wasn't any issues found.. On our PD140 it's only obvious at ignition on, on inside the car as it primes and you can the high-pitched whine when outside the car at idle, which is the same noise I can hear INSIDE the MKII!

I was lead to believe that the later CR (Common Rail) engines do not self-prime on the ignition as the older PD (Pumpe Duse) engines do.

Cycling the ignition on the PD purges the system, this won't work on the CR. As you say VCDS is required.

There are however a few examples of people being very careful when removing the filter and allowing plenty of time for the old filter to drain back into the fuel filter housing - therefore ensuring the level of fuel stays high. This then reduces the likelihood of there being problems with fuel starvation.

The sound of the fuel pump on our 2.0 PD140 is very obvious when turning on the ignition. I can't hear anything on our 2.0 CR140.

You say that you can hear it on your 1.6 CR105?

I can definitely hear the pump operating in the tank when the ignition is switched on, its only briefly for a second or two then it stops but its every time the ignition is switched on. Does this mean that I can purge the air from the filter without VCDS? or

Is there another pump before the filter that I need to run as with some VW's or just the one in the tank on the 1.6 greenline? 

Edited by gixersix

why is life so complicated

way back when if you ran out of diesel you had to crack off an injector to bleed for air, then my Mk3 130PS Mondeo could start after a filter change if i filled the filter before fitting, now the newer mondeos fuel filter is upside down!

Edited by lichfielddriver

why is life so complicated

way back when if you ran out of diesel you had to crack off an injector to bleed for air, then my Mk3 130PS Mondeo could start after a filter change if i filled the filter before fitting, now the newer mondeos fuel filter is upside down!

Don't forget to remove the glass bowl to ensure that any water is not suck through. :D